Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

lol. NO. There's photos of it somewhere loaded on a truck with the wings removed.

I was working as a custodial cast member at DHS the day it was moved, and one of my co workers told me he saw a truck backstage that had the name of an aircraft salvage company on the side. That led me to believe it was trucked to its current location. But who knows, could have been the ground team of a helicopter operation. Though I cant see Disney spending that kind of money.

Cmdr_Crimson

The *Ahem* Site that shalt not be name has new photo's of Walt's Plane and where it is located in a new article that just came up....The paint that was on the plane during it's time on the Backlot Tour was refurbished to it's Original Scheme of White/Orange Stripe and Mickey was removed off of the tail. Making it look like it was before....I do hope there is plans to bring this out for the 50th anniversary...It was a big role in WDW History.
Bob-Foster-55.jpg

trainplane3

The *Ahem* Site that shalt not be name has new photo's of Walt's Plane and where it is located in a new article that just came up....The paint that was on the plane during it's time on the Backlot Tour was refurbished to it's Original Scheme of White/Orange Stripe and Mickey was removed off of the tail. Making it look like it was before....I do hope there is plans to bring this out for the 50th anniversary...It was a big role in WDW History.
Bob-Foster-55.jpg
Clicky man is quite literally 2 months behind everyone on here. There was an article (http://thedisneyblog.com/2018/01/21...wood-studios-backlot-tour/?platform=hootsuite) that showed it but wouldn't release it's location due to "wanting to keep it secret so Disney will bring it back" (in a email to them, doesn't make sense to me either). I actually did some digging and figured out its location (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/where-is-walts-plane.914936/page-9#post-8043752). Then @montyz81 noticed Mapquest had up to date pictures...
Mapquest has updated pictures:
109507@2x.png
And finally Blog Mickey did some digging on Nearmap (http://blogmickey.com/2018/01/photos-mouse-walt-disneys-old-plane-spotted-disney-property/). You can actually access Nearmap for free through a fitness service but I forget the name.

Kind of surprised he was that far behind the ball honestly.

Goofyernmost

So was it repainted as this thread says or a wrap removed like the kid in the video says?
I don't know, like I said unless the camera angle was awful or the lighting was awful it surely doesn't look like a new paint job to me. I would bet on a wrap removed and possibly damaged during the move the required removal.

NormC

I would bet it was repainted but it has been sitting in the weather for a year and is now dirty. When it was on stage it was kept clean. Now it is in "storage".

Goofyernmost

I would bet it was repainted but it has been sitting in the weather for a year and is now dirty. When it was on stage it was kept clean. Now it is in "storage".
You might be right, but, why would the put it back to the 1960's when it has spent all this time on display in DHS. Now it is recognized as the blue and white with the big Mickey on it. All of the people that went to DHS and saw it assumed that is what it looked like when Walt was alive. Now they would have to get used to a new look and those that aren't old enough to be part of the white/blue/mouse are not emotionally attached to Walt anyway. It was much prettier before if it was repainted in that case. Actually, to me, it means that unless they are awaiting a new wrap, they have no intention of showing it anyplace. Those who have seen it in DHS will not recognize it as the original, unless they are as old as Walt and those that never saw it will not have the connection that the rest of us had. Why they still have it sitting out in a field rotting away is anybody's guess. In other words, I think we have seen the last of it. I am more then willing to be wrong.

NormC

You might be right, but, why would the put it back to the 1960's when it has spent all this time on display in DHS. Now it is recognized as the blue and white with the big Mickey on it. All of the people that went to DHS and saw it assumed that is what it looked like when Walt was alive. Now they would have to get used to a new look and those that aren't old enough to be part of the white/blue/mouse are not emotionally attached to Walt anyway. It was much prettier before if it was repainted in that case. Actually, to me, it means that unless they are awaiting a new wrap, they have no intention of showing it anyplace. Those who have seen it in DHS will not recognize it as the original, unless they are as old as Walt and those that never saw it will not have the connection that the rest of us had. Why they still have it sitting out in a field rotting away is anybody's guess. In other words, I think we have seen the last of it. I am more then willing to be wrong.
Lots of valid questions. Wish I had the answers.

FoozieBear

To me it should be in epcot in spaceship earth. I would rather look at the plane and hear the history of Disney world than play that awful cartoon game.

That wouldn't quite fit thematically, as Spaceship Earth is about innovation through communication, technology, and culture, not Disney history. Not to mention, how the heck would they get an airplane into Spaceship Earth???

Goofyernmost

That wouldn't quite fit thematically, as Spaceship Earth is about innovation through communication, technology, and culture, not Disney history. Not to mention, how the heck would they get an airplane into Spaceship Earth???
Vewy, Vewy carefully! However, it would provide and interesting prop for the earth scene don't you think?

disney4life2008

Can it fit inside Spaceship Earth?
Vewy, Vewy carefully! However, it would provide and interesting prop for the earth scene don't you think?

I think there is a story. The size is an issue. But anything is better than the cartoon. To be honest they should just replace with the old ending.

TP2000

To me it should be in epcot in spaceship earth. I would rather look at the plane and hear the history of Disney world than play that awful cartoon game.

Not sure it would fit in Spaceship Earth, but what a great idea for an exhibit in the unused spaces in Communicore!

The plane could be on display with a splashy exhibit of how Walt decided to branch out from Disneyland in the early 1960's, how he led his team to find the perfect spot in Florida and the reasons why he did it, plus what his original vision was for the property when he announced his plan in '65. The plane would be a unique and dynamic centerpiece to such an exhibit in Epcot.

Sadly, this idea would cost at least $750,000, if not $1 Million to pull off nicely, and the Parks & Resorts division only made $1.3 Billion (with a B) dollars of after-tax profit in the last quarter of this fiscal year, and has only made $3.6 Billion in after-tax profit in the nine months of this current fiscal year, so they just can't quite afford to waste money on showmanship like that. :rolleyes:

https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/q3-fy18-earnings.pdf

Better to have this instead, right Bob Chapek?....

P1080445.jpg

montyz81

Original Poster
I know I am bumping an old thread that I began, but I thought I would bring this up again now that most of the original announcements that moved this plane are now open and operational. Has anyone heard at all what the future holds for this fantastic piece of WDW history?

mergatroid

Right now there's some imagineer figuring out how to get it into the top just to give half of this board an aneurysm.

They could do the same thing they did with the car near the top scene. Take it apart, take the pieces into Spaceship earth and reassemble them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom