News Disney Riviera Resort announced

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The surveys indicated that they were focusing on a large outdoor courtyard with a lot of spaces for families to relax. I don't know what that translates to exactly but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a massive pool complex built out there along with some recreation space

Perhaps...

Or maybe just what you say: “large outdoor courtyard”

That allows DVC to avoid what they hate most: paid employees.

I’m sure there will be a sizable pool - there really has to be. But I would personally like to see the commitment to a really high end facility that we don’t see with “boiler plate” pools of late.

ABQ

I’m sure there will be a sizable pool - there really has to be. But I would personally like to see the commitment to a really high end facility that we don’t see with “boiler plate” pools of late.
Would that make you buy into this property? If the answer is no, then you've answered why WDW isn't building high end pools. If they sell all the points they need to to make a profit, then they've done what they really set out to do. Might be sad, but it's true. Earlier @Bocabear juxtaposed the wonderful pool and lazy river @ Uni's Cabana Bay to what seems to be shaping up here. Uni must have felt a need to make such a great pool system, but with Volcano Bay so close, you have to wonder, does it get that much use now? The only rendering, a virtual video, of the new Aventura seems to show, though an shape that flows with the curved building, nothing special beyond that in terms of a pool. Maybe guests just don't use the pools much? My last stay at the WL, I used the new pool which replaced the best, simple, pool ever, in the back and never had more than 10 others there at the time.

fngoofy

It is ridiculous that Universal can build a moderate resort like Cabana Bay that has amenities that far surpass Disney's Premium resorts... Look at the pools and Lazy rivers at Cabana bay compared to what they offer at any of the Disney hotels... Thisnpool area appears to be another boring Disney 4' deep pool...will probably have one not so interesting slide like all the others... Not sure why they can't do better on their premium resort amenities...
Because they want you and your wallet out and about.
I am not against that concept, it's just the fact. I always tell people, if you want to hang at a pool all day don't go to WDW.

Lensman

Would that make you buy into this property? If the answer is no, then you've answered why WDW isn't building high end pools. If they sell all the points they need to to make a profit, then they've done what they really set out to do. Might be sad, but it's true. Earlier @Bocabear juxtaposed the wonderful pool and lazy river @ Uni's Cabana Bay to what seems to be shaping up here. Uni must have felt a need to make such a great pool system, but with Volcano Bay so close, you have to wonder, does it get that much use now? The only rendering, a virtual video, of the new Aventura seems to show, though an shape that flows with the curved building, nothing special beyond that in terms of a pool. Maybe guests just don't use the pools much? My last stay at the WL, I used the new pool which replaced the best, simple, pool ever, in the back and never had more than 10 others there at the time.
I haven't experienced it myself but supposedly Stormalong Bay at BCV is very popular and crowded. It's excluded from the DVC pool-hopping benefit (along with the BLT and AKV pools). It's long said to be the reason that BCV has always been one of the most popular DVC properties.

That said, DVC did not choose to build as elaborate a pool complex in any of the subsequent DVCs, though the pools at BLT and particularly AKV are highly rated. Maybe it's more a question of theming the pool, it's not surprising that the _Beach_ Club has the best pool and the only onsite resort with a lazy river. This also makes me question how many resorts Disney needs to build that have lazy rivers since people who want a lazy river can just stay at the resort with the lazy river. Maybe Riviera is the DVC/resort to buy into if you want Skyliner access to DHS and Epcot and where you can see Illuminations from the roof deck lounge/restaurant, just as BWV and BCV are the Food & Wine DVCs?

Everything has a price and DVC owners are often very focused on annual dues, so maybe it's good that they're not piling on the expensive options, particularly the expensive to maintain ones. Then again, the BCV dues aren't higher than the other resorts so maybe the pool maintenance on Stormalong Bay isn't that much?

BTW, I suspect that the main pool is on the peninsula to get sunlight into the late afternoon. One complaint about the BLT pool is that the building blocks the sun for much of the afternoon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

The price dynamics have been screwed...so the pool question is irrelevant.

The price is 3x what mine was and it wasn’t that long ago.

But...eventually they may have to build more “pop” to catch up to the prices. Contrary to the hopefuls...gobs of easy cash and free love will not continue to multiple...lest we start using 1933 Deutschmarks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I haven't experienced it myself but supposedly Stormalong Bay at BCV is very popular and crowded. It's excluded from the DVC pool-hopping benefit (along with the BLT and AKV pools). It's long said to be the reason that BCV has always been one of the most popular DVC properties.

That said, DVC did not choose to build as elaborate a pool complex in any of the subsequent DVCs, though the pools at BLT and particularly AKV are highly rated. Maybe it's more a question of theming the pool, it's not surprising that the _Beach_ Club has the best pool and the only onsite resort with a lazy river. This also makes me question how many resorts Disney needs to build that have lazy rivers since people who want a lazy river can just stay at the resort with the lazy river. Maybe Riviera is the DVC/resort to buy into if you want Skyliner access to DHS and Epcot and where you can see Illuminations from the roof deck lounge/restaurant, just as BWV and BCV are the Food & Wine DVCs?

Everything has a price and DVC owners are often very focused on annual dues, so maybe it's good that they're not piling on the expensive options, particularly the expensive to maintain ones. Then again, the BCV dues aren't higher than the other resorts so maybe the pool maintenance on Stormalong Bay isn't that much?

BTW, I suspect that the main pool is on the peninsula to get sunlight into the late afternoon. One complaint about the BLT pool is that the building blocks the sun for much of the afternoon.

Well...I find bay lakes pool to be thoroughly bland and awful...but that’s me.

The difference between all pools built prior to 2002 and those built after is simple: different management.

Pools became an afterthought...the only decent entries have been the kidani pool, art of animation and I suppose the paddock pool at Saratoga (sheer necessity there). Bob can’t charge $44 for a half hour at a pool...unlike chef Mickey’s ;)

peter11435

That said, DVC did not choose to build as elaborate a pool complex in any of the subsequent DVCs, though the pools at BLT and particularly AKV are highly rated.
Stormalong Bay was built as part of the Yacht and Beach Clubs Before DVC existed. The pool existed for about a decade before DVC was added on to the Beach Club.

Lensman

Stormalong Bay was built as part of the Yacht and Beach Clubs Before DVC existed. The pool existed for about a decade before DVC was added on to the Beach Club.
True! I guess you can substitute "resort" for "villa" in my previous post, as it is also true that Disney hasn't built any other resort with an elaborate a pool area subsequent to the Beach Club Resort.

Why do you think that they stopped? Was it simply what I said earlier about the fact that the Beach Club was themed to a "beach" theme? Or was it that they felt that they only needed one resort with as elaborate a pool area? Or was it simply economics? When did the water parks get built in all this? Was their opening related to the simplification (or de-elaborification lol) of the pool areas?

Edited to add: Hey, Cabana Bay is actually the Cabana Bay _Beach_ Resort that has "a fun retro theme that takes you back to the iconic _beach_ resorts of the 1950s and 60s." So maybe it has an elaborate pool area as a result of it's chosen theme, just like the Disney _Beach_ Club Resort is themed to the New England _beach_ resorts of the 20s and 30s. So maybe it's not a conspiracy?

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

The surveys indicated that they were focusing on a large outdoor courtyard with a lot of spaces for families to relax. I don't know what that translates to exactly but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a massive pool complex built out there along with some recreation space

I wouldnt be surprised if the pool and pool complex looks like BLT's (obviously themed differently) medium sized pool with a slide, hot tub and some outdoor games...

sndral

I know you’ve always peddled this “add-on to CBR” theory.

I don’t. There is no way they send everyone over to CBR to use their feature pool, or for a QS. For all sorts of reasons, but mainly because that is not the way to market DVC, it opens a can of worms which makes it impossible to balance cost per point, MFs and points charts with the DVC framework. Plus the “flagship” comments.
Well, they are sending everyone over to CBR to change gondolas to get to DHS & rub shoulders with the CBR and budget hotel peeps...
Regarding the pool, when DVC at the Poly was first rumored weren’t there some pretty ambitious plans floating around regarding a signature pool which never materialized?
It looks like half the pool in the original Riviera plan was eliminated leaving the oddly off center rectangularish shaped pool we now see.
Much as I love staying in the Epcot area near the IG, nothing I’m seeing of or learning about the new Riviera DVC leaves me with a desire to throw thousands of dollars Disney’s way to own a piece of that particular pie.

Bocabear

The Surveys...lol They can make the surveys say whatever their agenda is... Like at the Disneyland Hotel, the surveys said that families wanted them to tear out the beautiful and extensive system of waterfalls and landscape features and replace them with a flat unthemed, uninteresting lawn...Because that is what everyone wanted?
And I am sure all families that throw all the money they can afford to have a vacation at WDW would love it if they had a lot of open space and concrete and unthemed lawns instead of an elaborate beautifully themed pool complex with a lazy river... I am so sure...lol
They just want to make it as simple and inexpensive as possible to wring the higest possible profit out of every dollar while telling you it is a magical and amazing plain square pool and a huge empty courtyard.......

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The Surveys...lol They can make the surveys say whatever their agenda is... Like at the Disneyland Hotel, the surveys said that families wanted them to tear out the beautiful and extensive system of waterfalls and landscape features and replace them with a flat unthemed, uninteresting lawn...Because that is what everyone wanted?
And I am sure all families that throw all the money they can afford to have a vacation at WDW would love it if they had a lot of open space and concrete and unthemed lawns instead of an elaborate beautifully themed pool complex with a lazy river... I am so sure...lol
They just want to make it as simple and inexpensive as possible to wring the higest possible profit out of every dollar while telling you it is a magical and amazing plain square pool and a huge empty courtyard.......

Yeah...it’s tough to not chuckle out loud when “the surveys” have been brought up.

Every egregious price increase has been “wanted” via survey.

And Dewey beat Truman

pdude81

The surveys typically "float" what they are planning to do and will do unless there is near universal opposition

pdude81

Now that could mean the places to relax with family are just a big concrete pad with tables and shuffleboard, but they would have a hard time selling a "signature" resort based on limited amenities

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Now that could mean the places to relax with family are just a big concrete pad with tables and shuffleboard, but they would have a hard time selling a "signature" resort based on limited amenities

The truth could very well be in the middle....between an “oasis” like jambo...and bland like bay lake.

ABQ

The truth could very well be in the middle....between an “oasis” like jambo...and bland like bay lake.
When I walk the super long boat dock from Bay Lake through the Contemporary, passing the entire bland outdoor area at that resort, I wonder if they would have build such a boring pool area (though it does bland with the lines of the original resort) had they known the lake would not be swimmable as it currently is not?

nickys

Premium Member
A year ago, @MisterPenguin posted the following picture from D23 that shows the main pool on the peninsula.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-riviera-resort-announced.929272/post-7813322

That would be way better, hopefully that’s the case.

You know? ...oh do tell. I don’t recall peddling that theory here...🤓

Well...you Have to assess based on the informational available. And that’s where it points - for now.

If you look at it: the “overpriced corridor” is lining up in spectacular fashion.

It was started with AoA...the most overpriced rooms in Disney history. Followed by moving moderates (cringe) to rack rates of almost $300 a night and rising...now the first ever “mod squad” DVC...and pop will follow after ski lift...perhaps a redo before that one?

Here’s where my basis comes from: spending dimes on DVC services is like pulling teeth. It is viewed as a “drag/loss” on profits. They HAVE to add some stuff...but what? And the Caribbean Work is 100% not a coincidence...multiple motivations for sure...but I’m gonna hold on 20 on my stance.

This thing is protruding into the lake and backing right into Martinique/OPR. (Unfortunately...I do know Caribbean like the back of my hand - it’s why I never go there 😎 ). Quite a coincidence indeed.

And if you recall - I assume, wasn’t here - the main discussion point on DVC at Caribbean (besides the stupid canal talk) was whether they CARE about the price point for amenity angle anymore? After all, isn’t it all about “location” now? That’s what is leaking and dusters are supporting. Who needs good food when you have a 190 sf “villa” and a hot box to mgm on a string for “rian Johnson: the experience”. (Oh...you get the point, I just can’t resist with such obvious tongue in cheek jokes)

Feature pool? Don’t see that being shared. But it could be a bland one like bay lake or wilderness 2.0.

Quickserve? Yeah I can see that shared. Absolutely.

1. Caribbean is losing 1/6 it’s capacity and has had the food area rehabbed twice in 16 years.
2. It’s too close for them to resist.
3. They can’t really be bothered to run quickserves except out of dire need at DVCs. Look at what okw has for 600 units? Or Saratoga for 1000?
4. The whole point of the ski lift is to flood people into the 2 parks where they already got about 15,000 employees toiling a day. Why add more than minimum food?

I mean...explain where any of this is unreasonable based on pattern and bucks?

Hmmmm, maybe I’ve mis-attributed posts to you, maybe somewhere on the parking fees thread?? (I’ve abandoned that one). If so, apologies.

As for the whole moderate DVC thing. Yeah, there was discussion. And I don’t buy it. As I say, it makes points charts impossible to create fairly, reflecting the lesser amenities and the ability to use points elsewhere. But let’s not bother regurgitating that again.

Perhaps...

Or maybe just what you say: “large outdoor courtyard”

That allows DVC to avoid what they hate most: paid employees.

Agreed. 100%

That said, DVC did not choose to build as elaborate a pool complex in any of the subsequent DVCs, though the pools at BLT and particularly AKV are highly rated.

BLT pool highly rated? Errr, sure about that? I mean it’s OK, but too small, no landscaping to speak of, little natural shade, pretty bland ... except when viewed from TOTWL when it looks way better. Kidani is a lot nicer.

As for the rest of your post about SAB, I think Riviera should have something along those lines. Certainly better than most. BCV is very small, all but impossible to book at 7 months at many times of the year.

Plus, this whole “flagship resort” thing suggests it needs a good pool. Features like waterfalls, trees and landscaping, slide (that’s a given), splash play area and a decent size.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When I walk the super long boat dock from Bay Lake through the Contemporary, passing the entire bland outdoor area at that resort, I wonder if they would have build such a boring pool area (though it does bland with the lines of the original resort) had they known the lake would not be swimmable as it currently is not?

Ehhh...probably not.

And the takes were off limits in the 80’s...so it doesn’t excuse bay lake

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom