Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

Does anyone happen to know the approximate square footage of Frozen Ever After's show building at Epcot? Since HKDL and WDSP are reportedly getting a clone of that, it would be interesting to see just how much bigger the TDS version is supposed to be.

Also, are there any existing dark rides with a similar square footage to the Tangled attraction for comparison purposes? I know Indiana Jones Adventure is around 50,000 square feet for example.

Other thoughts:

-I'm curious what kind of tech the Peter Pan E-ticket is using. Guests board boats down a river but are somehow flying in the air for a good portion of the attraction.

-The show buildings for the boat rides are two stories tall. I wonder if this is enough for a small drop like on PotC.

-I wasn't expecting trackless tech for Tinkerbell. Hopefully they incorporate the synchronized movements from Luigi's at DCA to distinguish it from Aquatopia.

-Interesting that the Tangled and Frozen-themed restaurants are grouped together in one building. I wonder if they share a common kitchen. I envisioned the pub one to be counter service and the other in the castle to be table service.

-I really wasn't expecting the hotel to be 9 stories tall. That's even taller than the TDL Hotel.

-Movement of the CEP building is indeed good news. It shows they are at least thinking about opening up that spot for a future attraction. I'd prefer to see an Aladdin dark ride, especially since the character doesn't have any presence in TDS currently. Unless they're going for something around Prince Eric's castle, making an Ariel dark ride might be problematic since all the underwater stuff is currently being cleverly contained under Triton's castle. It wouldn't make too much thematic sense to have two "under the sea" areas separate from each other.

Disneylover152

Does anyone happen to know the approximate square footage of Frozen Ever After's show building at Epcot? Since HKDL and WDSP are reportedly getting a clone of that, it would be interesting to see just how much bigger the TDS version is supposed to be.

43,790.91 ft² square feet with the queue, 38,791.26 ft² without.

Also, are there any existing dark rides with a similar square footage to the Tangled attraction for comparison purposes? I know Indiana Jones Adventure is around 50,000 square feet for example.

If the Tangled attraction is the 38 ft², then Epcot's Frozen attraction.

BrianLo

This is the one thing I'm holding on to, that the released HKDL plans demonstrate a show building approximately 30-50% larger than Epcot.

Still much smaller than Tokyo's, but that fits with the rumours that Hong Kong and WDSP will get the 'Shanghai's Peter Pan' version of Frozen Ever After (aka largely the same ride, with tweaks and a different ride system. Tokyo's looks to be completely different. That fits with Tokyo's being a real mega-E show stopper.

-Movement of the CEP building is indeed good news. It shows they are at least thinking about opening up that spot for a future attraction. I'd prefer to see an Aladdin dark ride, especially since the character doesn't have any presence in TDS currently. Unless they're going for something around Prince Eric's castle, making an Ariel dark ride might be problematic since all the underwater stuff is currently being cleverly contained under Triton's castle. It wouldn't make too much thematic sense to have two "under the sea" areas separate from each other.

I assume the CEP plans would be far out, but that's pretty interesting. Aladdin deserves a dark ride, but at the same time it's a bit challenging. Sindbad is so good and they botched the low hanging fruit by building Soaring and Jasmine's flying carpets on either end. That said the row of 'boat rides' from Sindbad into the new TDS fantasyland area doesn't seem to be bothering them too much.

rabbit111

You think the new building means they'll get rid of the current one?
Or would they need both buildings?
I think the current one will be deleted.

incidentally,the position of TDL's CEP
2018-07-13_035127.jpg

ThemeParkTraveller

This is the one thing I'm holding on to, that the released HKDL plans demonstrate a show building approximately 30-50% larger than Epcot.

Still much smaller than Tokyo's, but that fits with the rumours that Hong Kong and WDSP will get the 'Shanghai's Peter Pan' version of Frozen Ever After (aka largely the same ride, with tweaks and a different ride system. Tokyo's looks to be completely different. That fits with Tokyo's being a real mega-E show stopper.

I assume the CEP plans would be far out, but that's pretty interesting. Aladdin deserves a dark ride, but at the same time it's a bit challenging. Sindbad is so good and they botched the low hanging fruit by building Soaring and Jasmine's flying carpets on either end. That said the row of 'boat rides' from Sindbad into the new TDS fantasyland area doesn't seem to be bothering them too much

I hope that is true. I think FEA is a good dark ride, but HKDL and WDSP have an opportunity to build something that isn't constrained by an existing track/building. I didn't realize HKDL's show building was that much bigger. Does that also include an expanded queue area, or is that purely for the track?

And it's possible TDS won't get another major addition after this new port until at least 2026-2027 (for its 25th). Maybe even longer given the sheer scale of investment by OLC these upcoming years. But I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point in the distant future, they decided to close the aging and outdated Magic Lamp Theater (3D shows like it are pretty much dead now) and combine the two areas for a large and advanced dark ride based on Aladdin.

Timothy_Q

And it's possible TDS won't get another major addition after this new port until at least 2026-2027 (for its 25th). Maybe even longer given the sheer scale of investment by OLC these upcoming years. But I wouldn't be too surprised if at some point in the distant future, they decided to close the aging and outdated Magic Lamp Theater (3D shows like it are pretty much dead now) and combine the two areas for a large and advanced dark ride based on Aladdin.
There's still supposed to be a phase 3 of these expansions.
And considering how close to each other phase 1 and 2 are, I would bet we'll get the next one before 2026/27.

Phase 1 (2019/20) - Speedway replacement, Soarin
Phase 2 (2022) - Fantasy Springs
Phase 3 (2025?) - my guesses: TDR new port next to River Delta / replacement of something at TDL (RoA?) / TDR CEP building replacement (like @rabbit111 pointed out) maybe using Magic Lamp Theater as queue?

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

I hope TDL's next major expansion focuses on the parking lots adjacent to Tomorrowland. There's enough space for a huge land that doesn't require removing anything already existing at the park (although they probably need a way to hide the monorail). I read OLC rejected a potential Star Wars land years ago, but that was before the new trilogy proved lucrative at the box office. They also smartly turned down a plan to turn the RoA into Cars Land.

Disneylover152

I hope TDL's next major expansion focuses on the parking lots adjacent to Tomorrowland. There's enough space for a huge land that doesn't require removing anything already existing at the park (although they probably need a way to hide the monorail). I read OLC rejected a potential Star Wars land years ago, but that was before the new trilogy proved lucrative at the box office. They also smartly turned down a plan to turn the RoA into Cars Land.

It seems as if they don't want to go down the path of single-IP lands. It's the only resort lacking one and they were offered plans twice and denied them both. Also, they could have easily built a Frozen Port but decided to go with the Fantasy Springs Area.

I'm not counting Mermaid Lagoon as a single IP land because while most of its attractions are The Little Mermaid, a significant amount are still just basic ocean theme (Blowfish Balloon Race, Jumpin' Jellyfish, The Whirlpool). Same with Arabian Coast, two Aladdin themed attractions but a significant amount another IP or basic Arabic Coast theme. Lost River Delta is a South American themed exploration land, with Indiana Jones playing a major part but also other, non-IP attractions & mickey and friends meet and greet.

ThemeParkTraveller

It seems as if they don't want to go down the path of single-IP lands. It's the only resort lacking one and they were offered plans twice and denied them both. Also, they could have easily built a Frozen Port but decided to go with the Fantasy Springs Area.

The DisneySky rumors that were running around earlier this year also reported the new park would be anchored by lands themed to Pixar (most likely TSL), Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar. I wouldn't be surprised if all of these concepts were pitched at one point to OLC and dismissed. According to OLC's recent press releases, they also want to focus on creating new experiences that are exclusive to TDR. This is probably why the Frozen port was expanded into the Fantasy Springs concept.

Robbiem

I agree once the new theatre is open in fantasyland the showbase can be removed and open up a pathway to a new area behind tomorrowland. Im sure it would be easy to hide the monorail track with suitable rock work etc. Id love to see a Tokyo take on Star Wars land but if OLC arent keen on single IP areas maybe a sci fi expansion of tomorrowland new takes on the star wars battle escape ride, flight of passage and tron coaster would be great additions to an already great park

JohnyKaz2078

The DisneySky rumors that were running around earlier this year also reported the new park would be anchored by lands themed to Pixar (most likely TSL), Marvel, Star Wars, and Avatar. I wouldn't be surprised if all of these concepts were pitched at one point to OLC and dismissed. According to OLC's recent press releases, they also want to focus on creating new experiences that are exclusive to TDR. This is probably why the Frozen port was expanded into the Fantasy Springs concept.

Fantasy Springs though doesn't really belong to DisneySea. It would be a very reasonable expansion for Fantasyland. But TDS? Not really. The Arendelle Land could be a better solution since it could combine intellectual property with originality. The perfect example is the Arabian Coast, which has influences from Aladdin but it is above all original and has the Sindibad Voyage! Arendelle could also combine Frozen with the Norwegian culture.

ThemeParkTraveller

Fantasy Springs though doesn't really belong to DisneySea. It would be a very reasonable expansion for Fantasyland. But TDS? Not really. The Arendelle Land could be a better solution since it could combine intellectual property with originality. The perfect example is the Arabian Coast, which has influences from Aladdin but it is above all original and has the Sindibad Voyage!

I agree. Fantasy Springs is really just a more elaborate version of the Fantasyland model seen at the castle parks and would have worked much better as a new land in TDL adjoining the BatB area. I'm not a fan of OLC's shift to IP-driven attractions/lands over original concepts. Tower of Terror may have been the last original, non-IP, storyline created for their parks. :(

JohnyKaz2078

I agree. Fantasy Springs is really just a more elaborate version of the Fantasyland model seen at the castle parks and would have worked much better as a new land in TDL adjoining the BatB area. I'm not a fan of OLC's shift to IP-driven attractions/lands over original concepts. Tower of Terror may have been the last original, non-IP, storyline created for their parks. :(

That's true I'm afraid. When I heard about $3.5 billion expansion (I believe that this is the number correct me if I'm wrong), I was so excited because I knew that the OLC could create truly awesome things. But when I learned about Fantasy Springs I was really let down. This is just a land based on fairytales that has no place in DisneySea whatsoever and would be a far better addition to Fantasyland (although this would make TDL's FL absolutely huge).

But look on the bright side! We are at least getting a ride devoted to Tangled! And a full-scale Neverland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom