Maingate?

dieboy

Simply reading through the google reviews .. it appears to be rather hit and miss. Allot of local guides reviews range from less than one star to around four. If we are talking about Red Lion Hotel Orlando Kissimmee Maingate (also known as Kisssimmee Maingate Resort and Spa). Personally, a two named hotel seems kind of shady. If any of the lower star reviews are correct, I would not stay there.

There are also Disney Maingate close by, but that is only offices ..

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
It did not exist then. It was built in the 80s, and Yes it is close to where you get on World drive, but not exactly near the Main Gate to the Magic Kingdom or any other park.

WDWMPrincess

Ok assuming you meant Red Lion Maingate or whatever it is calling itself where you were looking since that was suggested by others. Bottom line this is a very inexpensive hotel with all that usually comes with that and ratings reviews seem to indicate this hotel in particular is trending toward the lower end in their category. Reading through tripadvisor reviews mostly 1st and only reviews but a few reviewers with multiple reviews posted. About usual for a cheap motel near a popular tourist attraction. Most seem to have felt their room was clean with a few reporting snafus. Also about average. Concerning a couple of multiple reviewer mention security concerns mostly seem to be revolving around your room door opening directly on the parking area which can be a bit of a security hazard and a couple of reports of tampering with cars in the parking lot.

Top rated in that price range in the area is Magic Moment Resort and Kids Club and Greenpoint both of which are slightly further away from the parks. At a guess I would say they're benefiting from being newer and being located in a slightly better area based on reading some of the reviews.

Championsgate Resort is in a complete other class with a price tag about double the Red Lion or Magic Moments. Ratings seem pretty steady at good to great with many mentioning how much there is to do at this location.

JohnD

"Maingate" refers to pretty much the only entrance to WDW in 1971 which was World Drive from US-192. Hence any hotel along US-192 is referred to as "Maingate".

disney4life2008

In 1997, my mom and I stayed at the holiday Inn Nikki bird on 192. This was after a 7 night stay at Caribbean Beach. It was close to the entrance of Disney. Main gate just means close to Disney. Needless to say, my mom and I got strep throat in the hotel, the room was filthy. After that we only stayed at Disney resorts

NiarrNDisney

In 1997, my mom and I stayed at the holiday Inn Nikki bird on 192. This was after a 7 night stay at Caribbean Beach. It was close to the entrance of Disney. Main gate just means close to Disney. Needless to say, my mom and I got strep throat in the hotel, the room was filthy. After that we only stayed at Disney resorts

OMG I stayed there in 2005 for 2 nights and honestly 1 night was enough so I switched hotels!

tonymu

Premium Member
Many of the hotels on 192 - W. Irlo Bronson were (may still be called) Main Gate back in the 70's and 80's. World Drive used to end at 192 and it was the main entrance to WDW and the Magic Kingdom before all the other expansion. Most people exited I-4 onto 192 and then traveled West on 192 to World Drive to enter WDW and the Magic Kingdom. I stayed at the Comfort Inn Maingate East and the Clarion Maingate West in the 80's. The Comfort Inn was on 192 East of World Drive and the Clarion was on 192 West of World Drive. The area on 192 around World Drive was known as Maingate with many properties using Maingate in their titles to denote they were just outside the WDW Entrance.

JetSetTours

"MainGate" simply refers to the original main entrance to the Disney property as a whole. The area were Interstate 4 and U.S. Route 192 (Irlo Bronson Hwy) intersect. (I4 exit 64) Many hotels refer to it to promote their proximity to the Disney property, some include it in their name.
i-004-e-exit-064-07.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom