No Thrilling Rides at Disney Parks

Disney Needs Thrilling Attractions Such as Alien Encounter.

• Total voters

JohnyKaz2078

First of all, yes. I understand Disney Parks are family parks. But that doesn’t mean that there can’t be any rides that are catered to older audiences. So far, the only truly thrilling ride in my opinion is Dinosaur. The sensory overload of large roaring Dino’s and loud effects create a thrilling experience. The solution? Bring back Alien Encounter. Stich is gone(thank god) and that poses as the perfect opportunity to bring back the scariest ride ever created by Disney imagineers. Upset parents ruined the ride due to their own ignorance and stupidity. Disney Parks are kind of boring at the moment. Bringing back or creating new thrilling attractions that truly stimulate fear and intense situations are in my opinion where Disney excels.

Um what? So you don't consider the Tower of Terror thrilling? Neither do you consider Rock n' Rollercoaster thrilling? Or Expedition Everest? Or Test Track? Mission Space maybe (ok not an actual "ride" you get to experience some G-forces and weightlessness)? And are you talking about WDW only? Because there are some quite thrilling rides in other Disney Parks around the world. The only theme park where I can't find a thrilling ride is the Magic Kingdom. And Dinosaur isn't that thrilling. It's just a very scary dark ride. A ride's thrill level isn't determined by how scary it is.

Disney Parks are certainly not the "heaven of thrill seekers" but they do have their share of thrill rides. And it also depends on someone's age to how much thrill they see in a ride. A 10-year old may consider Space Mountain thrilling, while a 40-year old will think of it as an average rollercoaster. Disney knows that most visitors in their theme parks are families with children between 5 and 15. So they capitalise on this and build (most) rides according to these ages. And if anyone wants more scare and thrill, that's why SeaWorld and Six Flags exist.

Chef Mickey

Disney's game has never been to make the scariest or most thrilling rides. It's been to make the best rides with the best story, theming, and guest experience. At least in the past, the goal seemed to be "wowing" guests to the point they want to ride again and again to absorb all the details. Even in Tower of Terror, one of the more thrilling rides, the "Thrill" is only a small portion of the attraction. The Finale, shall we say.

The separate argument is that the attractions of the last 10 years or so fall short on "wow" of past attractions like Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Everest, and even older attractions like Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

SuperStretccch

There's a difference between "thrilling" and "scary". A ride doesn't need to give you the heebie-jeebies to be thrilling. What's considered scary can also be subjective. I don't think RnRC is scary, unless you're afraid of rollercoasters, Aerosmith, or fake glow-in-the-dark roadsigns. Test Track is a thrill ride, but I don't think it's scary either, maybe aside from the sudden truck scene. Maybe it's not the best example, but that's what I feel.

Although I'm a thrill ride/coaster fan and appreciate seeing more stuff like that at Disney, I understand that it's not what Disney is entirely about. It's about providing immersive, detailed experiences that you couldn't find anywhere else.

crxbrett

Agreed that thrilling does not always mean scary. I would argue that Splash Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain, Astro Orbiter, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, the Barnstormer, and even the Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan's Flight or Dumbo or the Mad Tea Party are all thrilling in some manner in very different ways. A simple thrill can merely mean you get a rush of excitement or it can mean your heart rate goes up for numerous reasons due to something you are seeing, hearing or feeling. And of course a thrill can also be out of fear.

Rumrunner

First of all, yes. I understand Disney Parks are family parks. But that doesn’t mean that there can’t be any rides that are catered to older audiences. So far, the only truly thrilling ride in my opinion is Dinosaur. The sensory overload of large roaring Dino’s and loud effects create a thrilling experience. The solution? Bring back Alien Encounter. Stich is gone(thank god) and that poses as the perfect opportunity to bring back the scariest ride ever created by Disney imagineers. Upset parents ruined the ride due to their own ignorance and stupidity. Disney Parks are kind of boring at the moment. Bringing back or creating new thrilling attractions that truly stimulate fear and intense situations are in my opinion where Disney excels.
Disney is a collection of various experiences and adding a bunch of so called "thrilling rides" would not improve the Disney experience. Disney is to be experienced and that is the reason for its popularity and its mass appeal to so many. It is a magical place if you are seven or seventy.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney immerses. If the experience "thrills"......well that is left to the one experiencing it. I'd rather be immersed by something like SWL than be "thrilled" by it.....Just my opinion

KaliSplash

Thrill is in the eye of the beholder. I found AE to be good, but nowhere close to great. And WDW has MANY great attractions. AE was certainly better than Stitch, of course, but I liked the trip to Mars that occupied the slot previously, though it is much better done at Epcot now. But to suggest there are no other Thrill rides at Disney is missing the mark, in my opinion

donaldtoo

Any that you’re not present in apparently. :)

Exactly...even take any of the Disney "rides" from the '64-'65 Worlds Fair. Were they "thrill" rides? No, but, they didn't have to be, as they were more than entertaining, none the less. I love being flipped over and am a thrill ride junkie, but , when I go to Disney, I'm not, necessarily, looking for that.
I want that Disney Magic that comes with what Walt envisioned and mostly acomplished...it's that feeling of the Magic of life that he loved!!!!!
He was no saint, but, he had a darn good respect for his "Guests"...!!!!!

popcenturylover

I don't go to Disney looking for "thrill" rides. If I want that I'll go to the many amusement parks near me. Like Kennywood, Cedar Point, Waldameer, etc. I go to Disney to be fully immersed in the ride experience & to enjoy rides with my children & sometimes grandchildren.

Walt d

I dont understand if you dont like disney why did you just join ? This is for ear heads that cant get enough mickey mouse..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The average Disney guest does not want extreme thrills.

Up until Mission: Space, guest services took more complaints regarding AE than any other attraction in WDW. Height restrictions, warnings ,etc. did next to nothing to help. No way they will ever bring it back again.

Mission: Space is really no more thrilling than the carnival ride known as the Gravatron, yet it takes the taco for the most complained about attraction in WDW, so much so that they had to come up with a toned down version.

After that, I think the mouse is done with extreme thrills.

If you want to go Mach 9 with your hair on fire, there are plenty of other places where you can do that, and Disney is quite content in letting you go there.

Bairstow

So go to Six Flags. NEXT!

Ew. You first.

Personally I love it when Disney attractions go for fear and suspense. Tower of Terror should be on everyone's list of all-time Disney attraction masterpieces, and I'd love to see them go for that sort of thing again. Everest sort of dabbles in intricate generation of fear, what with its yeti museum and shrines.

Every good modern theme park ought to have a few proper thrills to spice things up, and the coasters that combine genuine thrills with proper themeing (Everest, Mummy, Verbolten, Manta, Cobra's Curse, Mystery Mine, etc.) are my very favorite things about theme parks.

EngineerMom

As someone like above
I LOVE dinosaur but don’t do roller coasters. I get sick from the drops. So yeah I would love a few more rides like that. FOP is like that to me

And so is Harry Potter Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man at Universal.

But just like Disney over st Universal if you don’t do coasters/drops there are only so many rides you can do. So yes more interesting rides that are not coasters!!!

RobotWolf

They could easily bring back AE with two alterations: change the alien's motif from scary to "goofy gross" (turn up the sprinklers) and reshoot the videos with a different actor playing the chairman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom