Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
wroct.jpg

Interesting thought....

Nemo14

So we've kind of decided to replace our kitchen floor since we've had it for 25+ years and it gets a lot of traffic. Currently it's sheet vinyl in an off-white color with subdued flowers in kind of a tile-like pattern.

When we bought the house the kitchen floor was a dark brickish pattern, and the walls and cabinets were a very dark paneling - very gloomy, so i picked out light appliances, cabinets, wallpaper, and flooring to brighten it up, and I loved it,especially my pretty floor.Now, however, the flooring I'm finding, be it tiles (which I don't want) or vinyl are all either fake-wood or fake stone - no more pretty flowers. I know it's the style now, but I've never been one to to choose style if it's a style I don't like. So now I'm researching ways to restore the old floor to it's original glory and forget about replacing it til my tastes come back in style. :banghead:

Lucky

So we've kind of decided to replace our kitchen floor since we've had it for 25+ years and it gets a lot of traffic. Currently it's sheet vinyl in an off-white color with subdued flowers in kind of a tile-like pattern.

When we bought the house the kitchen floor was a dark brickish pattern, and the walls and cabinets were a very dark paneling - very gloomy, so i picked out light appliances, cabinets, wallpaper, and flooring to brighten it up, and I loved it,especially my pretty floor.Now, however, the flooring I'm finding, be it tiles (which I don't want) or vinyl are all either fake-wood or fake stone - no more pretty flowers. I know it's the style now, but I've never been one to to choose style if it's a style I don't like. So now I'm researching ways to restore the old floor to it's original glory and forget about replacing it til my tastes come back in style. :banghead:
Maybe it would be easier to move.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Currently it's sheet vinyl in an off-white color with subdued flowers in kind of a tile-like pattern.

That is very much the style (but no flowers) and vinyl floor material, as what's in our bathroom. (We rent, so we can't pull it up--it's all faded and hideous, but we're stuck with it. Luckily, the bathroom is really tiny, so it isn't too much of an eyesore.)

Good luck with yours --I think yours is probably more salvageable than ours, if you can find a way to clean and buff it up nicely, like it was years ago.

Nemo14

That is very much the style (but no flowers) and vinyl floor material, as what's in our bathroom. (We rent, so we can't pull it up--it's all faded and hideous, but we're stuck with it. Luckily, the bathroom is really tiny, so it isn't too much of an eyesore.)

Good luck with yours --I think yours is probably more salvageable than ours, if you can find a way to clean and buff it up nicely, like it was years ago.
Thanks - I'm pretty confident that I can get it looking brighter - it's just restoring the finish afterwards that might be a problem. I don't want to have to wax it every time I wash it now.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks - I'm pretty confident that I can get it looking brighter - it's just restoring the finish afterwards that might be a problem. I don't want to have to wax it every time I wash it now.

The problem with that type of floor covering is that the years of dirt/grime gets stuck in the "pores". It's really hard to make it look good when it's older, because the color can also fade. Yet, I"m sure it's somehow doable, but you may need to get some sort of special solvent?

In our case, the solar light coming in the window hits one patch of the floor (maybe 2 feet wide) and that part of the floor is all discolored from the years of solar heat, coming through the window glass.

Oh, back to your comment about waxing -- have you ever tried a combo cleaner like Mop & Glo? I think it's supposed to do both functions. (Amazon rated it 4.4 stars -- a very high rating.)

Nemo14

The problem with that type of floor covering is that the years of dirt/grime gets stuck in the "pores". It's really hard to make it look good when it's older, because the color can also fade. Yet, I"m sure it's somehow doable, but you may need to get some sort of special solvent?

In our case, the solar light coming in the window hits one patch of the floor (maybe 2 feet wide) and that part of the floor is all discolored from the years of solar heat, coming through the window glass.

Oh, back to your comment about waxing -- have you ever tried a combo cleaner like Mop & Glo? I think it's supposed to do both functions.

Dh suggested Mop & Glo too, so I guess it's worth looking into. If it means not washing & waxing the floor every Saturday night like my mother used to do, I'm all for it.

...but moving sounds good to me too....

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Dh suggested Mop & Glo too, so I guess it's worth looking into. If it means not washing & waxing the floor every Saturday night like my mother used to do, I'm all for it.

...but moving sounds good to me too....

Or do what I do -- throw some rugs down on it! Save yourself the work!! :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom