Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

GlacierGlacier

Let's clarify the difference between "Capacity" and "Hourly Capacity" for a moment.

"Capacity" is the number of people a ride can hold. Rides with large numbers of seats (or ride vehicles) have high capacity. Theaters have high capacity because they can hold a ton of people. This could also theoretically include the queue, which is another holding space for people outside of walkways.

"Hourly Capacity" is the rate at which you cycle people through an attraction. Typically notated as people per hour, this dictates how fast a ride can chew through a line.

As long as every load point in a station is satisfied by a ride vehicle and guests are loading without issue, a ride is at its "Theoretical Hourly Capacity," this is found by finding the "perfect" dispatch time, finding out how many times you can dispatch in an hour, then multiplying that by the number of guests dispatched each time. As an example, Dinosaur has ride vehicles that hold 12 people, a ride vehicle is dispatched every 20 seconds (pure guess, someone can correct me later), that would result in 180 dispatches per hour, or 2,160 pph.

Once ride vehicles become sparse, dispatch drops. If a ride is too long with not enough ride vehicles, guests are waiting at the station with no vehicle there to load onto. Dispatch times rise sky-high, and actual hourly capacity drops.

So yes, ride length and number of vehicles can impact hourly capacity, but only when the ride is not operating at or close to Theoretical Hourly Capacity.

Theaters break the rules by being a single ride vehicle and station - therefore tieing dispatch times directly to ride time. A solution used often for this is having multiple theaters, all loading at different times.

HauntedMansionFLA

There's another direction you can go...
Beston-kiddie-double-deck-carousel-for-sale-BNCR-123.png
Mary Poppins UK ride confirmed!!

geekza

Haunted mansion is an omnimover. You cannot add more units because the entire track is filled with motion vehicles already.
True, but for some reason I remember reading somewhere that they've sped up the ride somewhat from its opening in order to increase hourly capacity. Then again, my brain is not super-reliable these days so I could have just imagined reading that.

PorterRedkey

If dispatches don't change, the number of ride vehicles has no bearing on hourly capacity.
Basically, it does until it doesn't.

Once you reach the quickest possible dispatch time (say a boat every 15 secs) add RV won't matter. Obviously, if you only had 1 boat running on Pirates, adding boats 2 and 3 would increase the # of people that could ride in an hour. It only works to a certain point. Then all you can do is make the ride vehicle hold more people to increase capacity while maintaining the same dispatch time.

RSoxNo1

It does if there is "idle time" when loading after you lengthen the ride.

Um... what? The only scenario where anything other than dispatch interval or vehicle size would change the attraction's hourly capacity is if there was another bottleneck in the attraction. I'll give you an example:

Let's say Frozen Ever After dispatches a boat every 45 seconds. Let's also say that the scene with Elsa on the balcony requires 38 seconds to clear a single boat through it. This would mean that even if Disney were able to dispatch a boat every 30 seconds, they wouldn't/couldn't do it because of the Elsa on the balcony scene.

RSoxNo1

Basically, it does until it doesn't.

Once you reach the quickest possible dispatch time (say a boat every 15 secs) add RV won't matter. Obviously, if you only had 1 boat running on Pirates, adding boats 2 and 3 would increase the # of people that could ride in an hour. It only works to a certain point. Then all you can do is make the ride vehicle hold more people to increase capacity while maintaining the same dispatch time.
Of course, but adding those boats is changing the Dispatch interval. Changing the dispatch interval is what's at play here because the "1 boat scenario" isn't practical unless you're Six Flags and don't care about operations.

Having said that, @lentesta reported that in situations where they could pull vehicles, they did so in January. This reduced capacity by having longer dispatch intervals. So if you (or @marni1971 or anyone) want to say that adding and subtracting vehicles changes capacity, it does, but only to the extent that it also changes dispatch intervals.

smile

when asking the question, "how many people can be loaded into/onto an attraction in a given timeframe?"
... rv (capacity) seats and dispatch interval are the only bottlenecks.

consider the pinch-point of an hourglass - adding more sand does not increase the size of the hole or it's throughput.
if you can't 'widen the hole' by increasing the number of seats and/or shortening intervals, your track could wrap around the world with a million cars, but you'd still only be able to get a certain amount of people loaded per hour.

PorterRedkey

Of course, but adding those boats is changing the Dispatch interval. Changing the dispatch interval is what's at play here because the "1 boat scenario" isn't practical unless you're Six Flags and don't care about operations.

Having said that, @lentesta reported that in situations where they could pull vehicles, they did so in January. This reduced capacity by having longer dispatch intervals. So if you (or @marni1971 or anyone) want to say that adding and subtracting vehicles changes capacity, it does, but only to the extent that it also changes dispatch intervals.
That's what I was saying. Dispatch intervals rule over everything when talking about riders per hour.

The one boat example was to keep it simple, not to be realistic.

I think when @marni1971 talks about capacity, he means how many riders are on the attraction when it is full. So a longer ride would have more capacity (hold more people), but have the same about of max riders per hour.

I think of rider per hour as throughput. When I think of how much something can hold, I think capacity.

I think the confusion is in the use of these terms. Especially, when the standard, Theoretical Hourly Capacity is talking about throughput, not capacity, at least by my definitions above. It is easy to get confused.o_O

DinoInstitute

I figured. I was mostly trying to steer this thread back on topic. :)
I’ll try to help you out with another topic:p- With the huge success of the Incredibles 2, as well as all of the pushing of this franchise they seem to be doing, I have to imagine that IP would be a possible choice for a replacement. If the story had something to do with a super hero expo where all the supers gather, they could do some interesting special effects in the theater showing off different powers and have a lot of fun with it.

gmajew

Premium Member
Using this space as a meet and greet is a complete waste!! Especially when the park and more importantly that area needs attractions! As the line for Space speedway and buzz and even laugh floor are way way to long with out it! Sure it was nice to go get some AC in this space but that was one time!! If it was a ride I would have killed two or three trips in it with the length of the other lines last week!

Disney needs to step up here and step up faster because when Tron gets going and they have to close speedway and maybe even people mover for a little bit the lines in this section are just going to get worse!!

So either get off the crapper and get moving on the new ride or keep this one open just to eat the crowds!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom