News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think that’s fine, but I don’t think you can expect everyone to be so willing to not be notified of an emergency whether personal or work related in over a week’s time.
There are a lot of people who can not and will not. If there wasn’t, then WiFi plans and international data ability would never have happened.

Once upon a time I had to change my voicemail to “I’m out of the country right now you can email me at **^ if an emergency. I did check my email a couple of times per day.
Then, once international cellular ability came out, things were much easier. I hope you realize that a lot of people do not go off the grid.
Well, I consider it a mark of success in my job that I (a) was never so critical to the mission that I couldn't go dark for a couple of days, and (b) had trained up my associates/subordinates well enough that they could pick right up where I left off if necessary.

21stamps

Well, I consider it a mark of success in my job that I (a) was never so critical to the mission that I couldn't go dark for a couple of days, and (b) had trained up my associates/subordinates well enough that they could pick right up where I left off if necessary.

Scenario-What if the market crashed while you were dark? Do you trust someone to make decisions on your investments without your input?

What if you owned your own business?

Or what if a loved one goes into critical condition?

I know 2 of those are extreme scenarios, but there are a lot of reasons why someone may not want to unplug for nearly 8 days.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Scenario-What if the market crashed while you were dark? Do you trust someone to make decisions on your investments without your input?

What if you owned your own business?

Or what if a loved one goes into critical condition?

I know 2 of those are extreme scenarios, but there are a lot of reasons why someone may not want to unplug for nearly 8 days.
a) all my investments are long-term
b) don't
c) there's an emergency contact number at the resort

Hey, if you think you're too important to the world to unplug for two-and-a-half days or more, so be it.

As for me, well, I'm not tethered by electronics to some overlord. Part of my work-life balance is unplugging for days at a time if I want to.

HauntedMansionFLA

b) don't

Hey, if you think you're too important to the world to unplug for two-and-a-half days or more, so be it.

As for me, well, I'm not tethered by electronics to some overlord. Part of my work-life balance is unplugging for days at a time if I want to.
People have problems not being on their phone for five minutes let alone 2/3 days. I would welcome the phone free environment (while I’m typing this out on my phone ;))

GoofGoof

Premium Member
b) don't

The key to that statement is “if I want to”

There’s no reason to debate scenarios about why some people may not be able to unplug. People are paying (most likely a boat load of money) for an experience. If they want to have their phone to talk/text and take pictures they will be allowed. If people choose to not bring or use their phone that’s fine too. You can do that now at any hotel.

tonymu

Premium Member
The road will likely go away. The main entrance is moving to the intersection of Osceola and Victory, and buses will enter from Buena Vista Dr. The question at this point is, will the old main entrance be kept to serve the Star Wars hotel.
I thought one of the sets of plans showed an entrance staying down there for employees. The ramp from Osceola westbound to World Northbound that goes over the current entrance is getting straightened out and the overpass demolished. You can see part of the straighter ramp already paved with yellow stripping before it abruptly ends.

21stamps

The key to that statement is “if I want to”

There’s no reason to debate scenarios about why some people may not be able to unplug. People are paying (most likely a boat load of money) for an experience. If they want to have their phone to talk/text and take pictures they will be allowed. If people choose to not bring or use their phone that’s fine too. You can do that now at any hotel.
Exactly.

In June of 1999 I was vacationing in Nags Head, NC. Surfing, bonfires on the beach, drinking, having fun with friends. I had a cell phone, a Motorola which wasn’t anything close to a smartphone today. I kept it off all week. We didn’t have a computer in the rental.
My grandmother had a brain aneurism that week, she was in the hospital for 2 days before she died. I missed all of it. I will never go off the grid like that again.
Anyone else can do what they like.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My god can you let this stupid idea die already. Just because you don’t have your phone within reach every minute of the day doesn’t mean you are unreachable.

FFS does no one remember how it worked before you had your own phone? You left a contact number... and the staff could reach you and let you know you had a call, a message, etc

Jesus some people can’t think further than arms length away forward or backwards.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This belongs in this thread...

ql5kdRW.png

dingus

nickys

Premium Member
If it’s open to the public I’ll be part of that problem. I would definitely stop in to check it out. I may even be willing to throw on a costume to try to fit in. How long will it take for me to get tossed out if I show up wearing this:
View attachment 287228

That depends on whether you head for the adult only bar cantina or the family friendly one. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Next time you wish to post pictures like this, please advise in advance. My iPad is not coffee-proof! Now I need another mug, most of it was spat out seeing this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought one of the sets of plans showed an entrance staying down there for employees. The ramp from Osceola westbound to World Northbound that goes over the current entrance is getting straightened out and the overpass demolished. You can see part of the straighter ramp already paved with yellow stripping before it abruptly ends.

Yes, the new ramp is being built but the plans to not indicate if the entrance will remain.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My grandmother had a brain aneurysm that week, she was in the hospital for 2 days before she died. I missed all of it. I will never go off the grid like that again.
Well, of course, it's sad you couldn't say goodbye to Grammie, but looks to me like you needed a better emergency contact plan.

If your current plan includes having to keep a cell phone with you and on 24/7, well, good for you, but for me, that would suck.

TJJohn12

Ignoring the “cell phone” kerflufle for now because it’s a canard, but on the point of immersion and the overall design of the resort...

Taking into account the WDI info we’ve seen leak on the bootstrap immersion experiences that they’ve been playtesting and designing, along with the Research papers on dynamic story adjustment options driven by a “dungeon master” gaming engine, I just can’t buy that this is not an immersive environment in its own right - more equivalent to a boutique park than a hotel.

The resorts as they stand are fancy places to sleep - not designed to spend *inordinate* amounts of time in. Wilderness Lodge - though I’ve never stayed there - is still my favorite resort to soak in. That said, there’s not enough to do there to entice me away from hopping a bus back to MK after grabbing lunch and enjoying the atmosphere for an hour or so. Likewise, I’ve never spent more than a half day at most in my home resort with the parks nearby and a park hopper for the day on my wrist.

But this environment isn’t a hotel - it’s an experience. From every official detail we’ve seen leaked, presented at trade conferences or passed along from insiders, it’s not a hotel in the strictest sense of the word. Sleeping is not the primary function of its construction.

The Star Wars Resort is the mythologized 5th Gate. Comparing its potential amenities to Contemporary is the wrong frame of reference IMHO.

21stamps

Well, of course, it's sad you couldn't say goodbye to Grammie, but looks to me like you needed a better emergency contact plan.

If your current plan includes having to keep a cell phone with you and on 24/7, well, good for you, but for me, that would suck.
You (intentionally) forgot to quote this sentence in that post-
Anyone else can do what they like.

I was 21 years old. I didn’t mail little cards to my parents who lived 1000 miles away. I was a young adult having fun with my friends. My grandmother (not grammie) was completely healthy and active. I never would have thought that something like that would have happened over a 6 night period of time.

So- you do you, and maybe try to understand that some people view “off the grid” differently. Why would you even care what someone else wants to do?
So many people here have such a hard time with the “live and let live” concept.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
You (intentionally) forgot to quote this sentence in that post-

I was 21 years old. I didn’t mail little cards to my parents who lived 1000 miles away. I was a young adult having fun with my friends. My grandmother (not grammie) was completely healthy and active. I never would have thought that something like that would have happened over a 6 night period of time.

So- you do you, and maybe try to understand that some people view “off the grid” differently. Why would you even care what someone else wants to do?
So many people here have such a hard time with the “live and let live” concept.
You brought it up...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom