A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And then they broadcasted Let it Go on The View today:

So, I should wait maybe 5 or 6 years before seeing that on Broadway -- long enough for the audience to stop losing their spit at every little SFX that reminds them of the movie.

"It's a projection. Like a movie in a movie theater. You've seen it before. Now shut the heck up so you can hear a world class singer sing."

Princess Leia

Now, on a completely other note...

I don't think it has been mentioned here, but the lawsuit over "The Happytime Murders" is really interesting. If you don't know what it is, go to YouTube and watch the "red band" trailer (unless you are really sensitive LOL). I'd link it here but it is decidedly NSFW.

Short version - it is a Roger Rabbit-esque take on the "real life" of puppet performers, and it is actually directed by Brian Henson. The trailer, as you can see, heavily promotes that it is by the director of several Muppet projects. The tag line is "All Street. No Sesame." That is where the drama begins.

Sesame Workshop has filed a lawsuit (and just reading the suit is hilarious - I mean, it describes some of the puppet...interactions?...with comical sincerity). They really don't have a leg to stand on, legally, as it clearly is a parody, but I find their hard-stance on it so interesting because of Brian Henson's involvement in the project. After all the Henson family did (and lost) to ensure that Sesame Street stayed its own entity and wasn't lost to Disney (even though they were desperate for it), it kind of is like - really? Especially since legally they really have no basis for it - they in fact are giving the film even more promotion than it would have gotten before.

Thus far, no complaints (or even comments) from Disney I can find from their end, as owners of the Muppets.

BTW, this is the lawyer they are claiming drafted the media response (I crap you not!):

5b0b6ed82000004100b92b2b.jpeg
The judge just ruled against Sesame Workshop, Happytime Murders can keep using the tag line.

AEfx

The judge just ruled against Sesame Workshop, Happytime Murders can keep using the tag line.

Yup - I saw that! I can't believe how quickly it was handled.

It is so weird, it did make me think, though - some people spend many months or years to get in front of a judge for things far more pressing than a commercial for a film, yet this just took a couple of days because they declared it an "emergency" LOL. Ah, what money can buy you in our legal system.

Mike S

Yup - I saw that! I can't believe how quickly it was handled.

It is so weird, it did make me think, though - some people spend many months or years to get in front of a judge for things far more pressing than a commercial for a film, yet this just took a couple of days because they declared it an "emergency" LOL. Ah, what money can buy you in our legal system.
Ain’t it fantastic?

Princess Leia

Avengers is really slowing down at the domestic box office. It's predicted to be in 4th place this weekend (behind Solo, Deadpool, and Adrift), but there's been at least 1 day this week where it was in 4th (behind Solo, Deadpool, and Book Club). Disney definitely did the right thing in bumping the release up, but the combination of Solo & Deadpool and the unexpected success of Book Club is hurting the movie.

Will it still be the highest grossing picture of 2018 in the world? Probably. I kind of doubt that Jurassic World 2 is going to bring more money in than the first film or Infinity War, and I can't think of any other movie being released this year that can bring in $1.9+ Billion.

Domestically though, the number 1 movie will probably be Black Panther (which is wild since that movie came out in February). When you compare BP & IW day to day, BP is coming out as the winner, and it's nearing the $700M domestic mark (which I'm not sure is totally attainable anymore, but it should make it to $699M).

By September (or whenever IW leaves theaters), Disney will have both the Number 1 movie for the international market and domestic market, and they're two different films (which I'm not sure is that common? I'll have to do some research).

ProfSavage

Avengers is really slowing down at the domestic box office. It's predicted to be in 4th place this weekend (behind Solo, Deadpool, and Adrift), but there's been at least 1 day this week where it was in 4th (behind Solo, Deadpool, and Book Club). Disney definitely did the right thing in bumping the release up, but the combination of Solo & Deadpool and the unexpected success of Book Club is hurting the movie.

Will it still be the highest grossing picture of 2018 in the world? Probably. I kind of doubt that Jurassic World 2 is going to bring more money in than the first film or Infinity War, and I can't think of any other movie being released this year that can bring in $1.9+ Billion.

Domestically though, the number 1 movie will probably be Black Panther (which is wild since that movie came out in February). When you compare BP & IW day to day, BP is coming out as the winner, and it's nearing the $700M domestic mark (which I'm not sure is totally attainable anymore, but it should make it to $699M).

By September (or whenever IW leaves theaters), Disney will have both the Number 1 movie for the international market and domestic market, and they're two different films (which I'm not sure is that common? I'll have to do some research).

Especially since JW2 looks like a rehash of Lost World:JP...

Princess Leia

Especially since JW2 looks like a rehash of Lost World:JP...
A friend and I were talking about that last night! Initially it looked like it might be its own thing based on the early trailers, but the new promos definitely set it up as a copy of The Lost World.
I’m betting it’ll still be a better movie than TLJ.
I’d be inclined to give TLJ the bonus point for not rehashing Empire, but since I don’t plan on seeing the new Jurassic film, I won’t be the person to compare them.

Mike S

A friend and I were talking about that last night! Initially it looked like it might be its own thing based on the early trailers, but the new promos definitely set it up as a copy of The Lost World.

I’d be inclined to give TLJ the bonus point for not rehashing Empire, but since I don’t plan on seeing the new Jurassic film, I won’t be the person to compare them.
I’ll take a good rehash over a bad original any day.

smile

I’ll take a good rehash over a bad original any day.

hmmm

an original would, at least, have integrity of purpose -
the lack of which has a tendency to devolve into pop crap that's generally lovingly received and unfondly remembered
...unless it's transcendent, which is quite a feat in itself and doubly so if attempted while ticking boxes

of course, any orig can just fail on all fronts...
aaand we're back to the boxes
:confused:

britain

I actually think that’s a common occurrence. American tastes normally skew a little differently from the average international tastes.

WDWTank

I'm very confused how you took what I said and then went to that statement. I can't even say that you disagree with me, it was just a different point all together.

Forgive me because it's been a few months since I last watched The Last Jedi, but some of the build ups were:
Who is Snoke?
Who is Rey?
Who is Finn?
What has Luke been doing?

The answer to all of those were effectively "nothing" or "no one". I've listened to an interview with Rian Johnson after the fact and he basically said that he didn't anticipate the mystery of Snoke to be as big of a deal as it was. I also don't think Snoke's story is over.

The who is Rey question actually had an interesting and defensible answer. Similar to Luke, she hears the one thing she doesn't want to hear. For Luke the answer is that Vader is his father (spoiler alert) and with Rey she wants to be a part of this greater interconnected story, but isn't.

Admittedly, "who is Finn?" wasn't a big question, but his storyline with Rose was ultimately pointless, unless he sacrifices himself at the end to allow them to escape. Instead they gave that to Luke.

The Luke question really epitomizes the build up with no payoff. The Force Awakens ends with a reveal of Luke and Rey handing him back his light saber. He literally tosses it to the side for seemingly nothing more than a cheap laugh.
One of the things I didn’t like about The Force Awakens was that they turned a strong heroic character, Luke Skywalker, into a hermit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom