Flight of Passage, How Does it Rank at WDW in E-Tickets?

DisneyRoy

Im not sure I see it. Flight of Passage is definitely a lot of tech, but unless a lot of th cost is in the development of the story, I don't believe the execution of the screen and ride vehicles are similarly priced to the physical cost associated with something like the Everest track, Yeti, mountain, artists, plants,etc.

I've seen stats the entire land was around $500M and I would doubt half was in FOP.

That was the original budget. But from what I've read on these forums and understand was that was blown out of the water. The final tally that I remember seeing was $700+ and pushing ever closer to the $1 billion dollar mark.

BigRedDad

As a huge skeptic of this ride until I rode it, it has to be the best ride at WDW right now. It is hard to compare the e-ticket rides because most of them are different. Simulator, drop ride, gravity coaster, high speed coaster. FoP is the best and most immersive ride at WDW. Regardless whether it fits in AK or not, the technology and ride itself are top notch.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

I'd say it's right up there behind the top 3. I don't think it deserves the title of the best ride of all time or the best in Orlando or even the best ride in WDW. In case you were wondering what the top 7 or so E-tickets were it's.....

1. Haunted Mansion
2. Tower Of Terror
3. Splash Mountain
4. Flight Of Passage
5. Expedition Everest
6. Spaceship Earth
7. Kilimanjaro Safaris

freediverdude

That arm really looked like it was going to reach you as you went by when it was running, and really made the end more of an experience. It would be in the top 3 for sure if that was running, plus fixing bird on a stick to look more real, plus the mist at the cave entrances again would put it way up there on the list.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What are the e-ticket attractions? I don't really know.

Here's the list of classic rides and their Ticket Level before tickets were discontinued. For the "Ticket Level" of rides created after the discontinuation of tickets, you determine those by fisticuffs in a back alley.

I was looking at images of old tickets on the internet and thought to compile... a chart! Some of the rides changed level over times, some changed several times. A few seems to me were downgraded simply because they became older and were outshone by new attractions. One seemed to jump up the scales simply because of how low the ride's capacity was and they wanted to limit guests. The online record is incomplete year-to-year, but I believe I have enough data. The list indicates where the ride started and changes in tiers over time. I started the year after the E-Ticket was first introduced. I ignored one-year changes in level...

A
  • Main Street Vehicles
  • 20,000 Leagues Exhibit
  • Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-thru
  • Carrousel

B > A
  • Main Street Cinema

B
  • Art of Animation Exhibit
  • Casey Jr. Circus Train
  • Motor Boat Cruise

B > C > B
  • Fantasyland Theater

B > C > D
  • Astro-Jet / Star Jets

C > B
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Dumbo Flying Elephant
  • Shooting Gallery

C > B > C > B
  • Mike Fink Keel Boats
  • Swiss Family Tree House

C
  • Autopia/Speedway
  • Adventure Through Inner Space
  • Conestoga Wagons

C > D > C
  • Canoes

C > D
  • Rocket to the Moon/Mission to Mars

D > C > B
  • Alice in Wonderland

D > C
  • Peter Pan Flight
  • Snow White’s Adventures
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride

D
  • Skyway
  • People Mover
  • Storybook Land Canals
  • Steamboat
  • Sailing Ship Columbia
  • Tom Sawyer Island Rafts

E > C
  • Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

E > D > C
  • Steam Train

E > D
  • Mickey Mouse Review
  • Enchanted Tiki Room

E > D > E > D
  • Mine Train (Rainbow Ridge/Nature’s Wonderland)

E
  • Monorail
  • Submarine Voyage
  • 20,000 Leagues
  • Space Mountain
  • Flying Saucers
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds
  • It’s a Small World
  • Pack Mule
  • Big Thunder Mt. Railroad
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Jungle Cruise

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
1. Flight of Passage
2. Spider-Man
3. Festival of the Lion King
4. Toy Story Mania
5. Haunted Mansion
6. Buzz Space Ranger
7. It's Tough to be a Bug
8. Safari
9. Frozen Sing Along
10. Mission: Space Orange

What?... No, I understood the question. ;)

NickMaio

--I do think Pirates Shanghai is a great example of combining both virtual and physical experiences. ---

Totally Agree - those animatronics are amazing. Disney WAS synonymous with AA's - now not so much. Even in the Pandora river ride we get ONE - - - - or a screen if its down.

C'mon Dis get back to what you really do best - World class AA's

JusticeDisney

How in the world are some of you classifying Haunted Mansion as an e-ticket ride? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love it too and it screams old school Disney World, but an e-ticket ride? Come on. Is Navi River an e-ticket ride to you as well?

Damon7777

Really? It was less than half a second. I get that people are peeved that the yeti hasn't been fixed but I think you're overstating the impact it had on the overall ride.

And you are understating the importance based off of time. A lot of meaningful, far reaching events can happen in 2 seconds.

We should not summarily disregard the magnitude of an event based off of time.......2 seconds(your under half second comment is off) is enough time for many profound things to go down.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
How in the world are some of you classifying Haunted Mansion as an e-ticket ride? I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love it too and it screams old school Disney World, but an e-ticket ride? Come on. Is Navi River an e-ticket ride to you as well?

Because that's how Disney classified it when they had the ticketing system.

Now, some attractions bounced between designations, so, there weren't any hard-and-fast criteria and extenuating circumstances (rides becoming wildly more or less popular or with a very limited capacity) would cause some rides to be re-classified. But there was a general 'feel' to each level.

Once the ticketing system ended, there's nothing that someone can point to in order to say that some new ride is of a specific class or if some classic ride needs to be downgraded because the state of the art has far surpassed it. That being said, HM always was and probably always will be considered an E-Ticket.

See here...

I was looking at images of old tickets on the internet and thought to compile... a chart! Some of the rides changed level over times, some changed several times. A few seems to me were downgraded simply because they became older and were outshone by new attractions. One seemed to jump up the scales simply because of how low the ride's capacity was and they wanted to limit guests. The online record is incomplete year-to-year, but I believe I have enough data. The list indicates where the ride started and changes in tiers over time. I started the year after the E-Ticket was first introduced. I ignored one-year changes in level...

A
  • Main Street Vehicles
  • 20,000 Leagues Exhibit
  • Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-thru
  • Carrousel

B > A
  • Main Street Cinema

B
  • Art of Animation Exhibit
  • Casey Jr. Circus Train
  • Motor Boat Cruise

B > C > B
  • Fantasyland Theater

B > C > D
  • Astro-Jet / Star Jets

C > B
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Dumbo Flying Elephant
  • Shooting Gallery

C > B > C > B
  • Mike Fink Keel Boats
  • Swiss Family Tree House

C
  • Autopia/Speedway
  • Adventure Through Inner Space
  • Conestoga Wagons

C > D > C
  • Canoes

C > D
  • Rocket to the Moon/Mission to Mars

D > C > B
  • Alice in Wonderland

D > C
  • Peter Pan Flight
  • Snow White’s Adventures
  • Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride

D
  • Skyway
  • People Mover
  • Storybook Land Canals
  • Steamboat
  • Sailing Ship Columbia
  • Tom Sawyer Island Rafts

E > C
  • Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

E > D > C
  • Steam Train

E > D
  • Mickey Mouse Review
  • Enchanted Tiki Room

E > D > E > D
  • Mine Train (Rainbow Ridge/Nature’s Wonderland)

E
  • Monorail
  • Submarine Voyage
  • 20,000 Leagues
  • Space Mountain
  • Flying Saucers
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds
  • It’s a Small World
  • Pack Mule
  • Big Thunder Mt. Railroad
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Jungle Cruise

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
No doubt Everest was the best ride at Disney when Yeti worked and maybe one of the best in the world. It's still top 5 at Disney.

I think you hit the problem with FOP. It's almost all virtual. Not sure that works in the long term. Even Mission Space has gotten quite unpopular, even with the spinning (a true physical experience). Perhaps that one is just too intense.
See, the issue with all digital is that it effects immersion. No matter how great an experience Star Tours and Soarin are, it is still very clear that this is digital and not immersive.

Flight of Passage may be all digital, but with all of the other effects added in and how singular of an experience it feels like, it is just as if not more immersive than any other ride despite being digital.

Plus! The incredibly immersiveand full of practical effects queue. Which you could argue that queues don't count, but if that is the case Tower of Terror would get knocked way down as the majority of the ride itself is dark tunnels with little to no show elements. And one of the most eye-catching show elements on the ride is a giant television that is meant to look like an eye but is clearly digital. But the whole experience of that ride, the exterior, and the queue is what makes it so amazing

MaximumEd

Splash Mountain is still the greatest ride in the history of rides. Any list with Splash not in the #1 position is invalid. That’s not only my opinion. I read it in a book somewhere once. FOP is a blast, but no simulator will ever beat out real movement through real physical sets populated with real stuff, even if it’s real fake stuff. I’d put FOP at 3 behind Splash and TOT.

JusticeDisney

I'm thinking that you do not know the meaning of the industry term "e- ticket"
I know the meaning of the industry term. I’m thinking you don’t know the meaning of the term as it’s commonly understood these days. Oh, and I’m willing to bet that nobody in this thread is part of the industry.

JusticeDisney

Because that's how Disney classified it when they had the ticketing system.

Now, some attractions bounced between designations, so, there weren't any hard-and-fast criteria and extenuating circumstances (rides becoming wildly more or less popular or with a very limited capacity) would cause some rides to be re-classified. But there was a general 'feel' to each level.

Once the ticketing system ended, there's nothing that someone can point to in order to say that some new ride is of a specific class or if some classic ride needs to be downgraded because the state of the art has far surpassed it. That being said, HM always was and probably always will be considered an E-Ticket.

See here...
I hear and appreciate what you’re saying, but e-ticket has a commonly understood present day meaning, and under that meaning HM isn’t it, IMO.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I know the meaning of the industry term. I’m thinking you don’t know the meaning of the term as it’s commonly understood these days. Oh, and I’m willing to bet that nobody in this thread is part of the industry.
I hear and appreciate what you’re saying, but e-ticket has a commonly understood present day meaning, and under that meaning HM isn’t it, IMO.

You'd lose that bet. And those in the industry still call it an E-Ticket.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom