Trip Report "BROOM BROOM!" A trip from a DIFFERENT perspective

Introduction

WARNING: The first three posts will be very text-heavy. I promise there will be many photos after that!

We just got back from another wonderful trip! We attended the Flower and Garden Festival, enjoyed much food and beverage, celebrated a birthday, visited family, and had a fabulous time! This trip was different from all previous trips for one significant reason, which will be revealed later.

WHO: Bee (me) and M (my DW)...and surprise guests
WHERE: The WDW Swan, with a quick trip to visit M's parents in Jacksonville
WHEN: May 22-27, 2018
WHY: To celebrate M's birthday, to enjoy one last trip before our APs expire, and...because we wanted to go!

The original version of this trip was to occur in July to take advantage of M having PTO for July 4. It was all booked and ready to go, and we were able to use points for half of the flights and a third of the hotel nights. However, I got offered an ensemble role in The Hunchback of Notre Dame in New Jersey in July shortly after we booked the original trip, so we had to adjust our plans.

And here is the PTR link: One La-ast Ti-ime (Another Swolphin Sandwich!) (This time with POINTS!)

To be continued

Last edited:

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Soon Franco dropped us off and we headed to the front desk to check in.

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

A nice employee named Liza checked us in. Before the trip I had requested an accessible room, mostly to make things like showering easier since I'm still not at full strength. She said they did have an accessible room available but it wasn't ready yet. I gave her my cell number so I could receive a text when the room was ready, and M and I left our bags with bell services. Side note: I am normally a stomach sleeper, but my injuries prevent me from sleeping on my stomach, so a friend gave us a wedge pillow to make it a little more comfortable to sleep on my back. We brought the pillow with us in its original case, and I don't even know how many people thought we had a pet in there! Everyone gave us strange looks when we said, "No, it's a pillow." :hilarious:

While I was checking in (the room was under my name) M was watching our stuff on a nearby couch. A family with several small children was letting them run all around the lobby and climb on things, including two scooters parked by the bell stand. The bell guys had to ask them multiple times to get their kids off the scooters. :banghead: :rolleyes:

Anyway, we picked up the scooter key from bell services and went outside to pick it up. It was the moment of truth! Would it be difficult or complicated to operate?!?!?

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Also: please note my very stylish cane in the photo, that M picked out for me. I went back to coach some classes at the school after the fire but before the trip, and one of the classes was OBSESSED with my "mermaid tail" cane. :joyfull:

It was actually quite easy to operate and in no time we were zooming toward the International Gateway! As @MinnieM123 pointed out in my PTR, we were there at the same time and there was no boat service to either DHS or the Swolphin. :arghh: This didn't bother me since I was on a scooter, but M did get a bit tired of walking the whole way every time.

Bag check was easy since I didn't have a bag. We decided to turn right toward France and make our way around the lagoon that way. We were both hungry and ready to start enjoying the Flower and Garden food kiosks!

Up next: FOOD, GLORIOUS FOOD!

dizfan917

OMG. What a scary story. So glad to hear that you and the students got out safely. That is some scary stuff. You'll have a whole different appreciation for HELLFIRE than the rest of the cast... like staying FAR AWAY from it for the rest of your life. :eek:

Was that your room number?! That's my birthday (month and year)!! September 1968 baby.

I'm excited to hear all your Scooter Stories. My brother (and I) have a not so kind name for those things. One hit Dad once and the driver yelled at HIM for walking in the street in Hollywood Studios. sigh. Hope you had a good experience!!

bee

Original Poster
OMG. What a scary story. So glad to hear that you and the students got out safely. That is some scary stuff. You'll have a whole different appreciation for HELLFIRE than the rest of the cast... like staying FAR AWAY from it for the rest of your life. :eek:

Was that your room number?! That's my birthday (month and year)!! September 1968 baby.

I'm excited to hear all your Scooter Stories. My brother (and I) have a not so kind name for those things. One hit Dad once and the driver yelled at HIM for walking in the street in Hollywood Studios. sigh. Hope you had a good experience!!
You're right, it definitely has changed my perspective on a lot of things. Yes, it ended up being our room number!

Ugh, that's awful that someone hit your dad! I was EXTREMELY careful and *SPOILER ALERT* only bumped into one person the entire trip, because she wasn't paying attention and darted in front of me and then suddenly stopped. I could hear her dad yelling a warning at her but she didn't listen.

Oh my Bee, that sounds so terrifying. I am so glad you and the students were okay. This is HONESTLY why I try not to judge those in scooters! You just never know what someone has been through to need one! Looking forward to reading more!
Very true! Even people who appear perfectly healthy and able-bodied may not be, and no one has the right to judge who actually needs help and who doesn't.

Pfff what a bad experience! Glad you’re ok.
Looking forward to read the rest of your trip.
Thank you, and welcome!

Enjoying your trip report. Glad you’re on the mend and hope you fully recover soon.
Welcome! Thank you!

Just caught up....I'm so glad you're okay! What a trooper you are! Can't wait to read more.
Thank you, and welcome!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Our first food kiosk stop was Fleur de Lys in France, where I scooted up next to a bench to save it for M while she ordered.

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Macaron au Chocolat en Sucette: Large Chocolate Macaron Lollipop (GF) – $4.95
Tarte à la Tomate Provençale: Provencal Tomato Tart with Sautéed Onions, Fresh Thyme and Rosemary on a Flaky Pastry Crust (V) – $5.50

I really wanted to like the tarte but it was just okay. I felt like it was missing something in terms of flavor, although the fresh tomatoes on top were very tasty. The macaron was very good but also very sweet. Even though we shared it we both felt a little chocolate-ed out if that's even possible.

Since I couldn't take as many photos while moving (since my hands were occupied with operating the scooter), I decided to take lots of photos every time we stopped. In this way I was able to document the different perspectives from which I saw the park.

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

You can see here how cloudy it was. Franco the Lyft driver told us it had been raining for days and today was the first day it wasn't raining. Would the rain-free time continue??

We decided to stop at Taste of Marrakesh in Morocco next.

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

Fried Cauliflower with Capers, Garlic Parsley and Chili Ranch Sauce – $5.00

The fried cauliflower was yummy! It was a perfect portion to share, and the capers and bits of garlic and parsley gave it a nice flavor boost. We wanted to get it again another time during the trip, but sadly we never made it back.

Next we stopped in America to enjoy some shade...and some drinks from The Smokehouse. I waited by a tree while M secured the beverages.

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9921mVutJ1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Central 28 Brewing Company Sunshine Greetings Orange Hibiscus Wheat Ale, DeBary, FL – $4.25
Zen of Zin Old Vine, California – $5.25

We shared these, but M drank most of the beer and I drank most of the wine. I really like the wine as I usually like Zinfandel and it reminded me of our California trip last year. I enjoyed the beer as well; it had a very subtle fruit flavor and was overall very smooth and drinkable.

Next we stopped at Bauernmarkt for another snack.

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

Blue sky!

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

Potato Pancakes with House-made Apple Sauce (V) – $4.25

This was surprisingly great. The pancakes were perfectly potato-y and crispy around the edges, and the applesauce had delicious chunks of tart apple in it. It was nothing like the stuff you can get in a jar at the grocery store. I was worried it might be too sweet for me (I usually don't enjoy sweet things in otherwise savory dishes), but this was nicely balanced.

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Up next: An old favorite, and multiple margaritas!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

We typically visit the major Epcot Festivals every other year, usually Food and Wine in odd years and Flower and Garden in even years. Every F&G we look forward to the veggie spring rolls in China, so we were thrilled to see they were back this year!

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p992t2YqAb1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

I just loved these little round red flowers!

From Lotus House:

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

Oolong Peach Bubble Tea (Non-alcoholic) – $6.75
Vegetable Spring Rolls (V) – $4.50

M drank most of the bubble tea as I wasn't in the mood, but I did enjoy the little bit I had. The spring rolls were once again both of our favorite food item from any of the kiosks, and we would enjoy them a few more times throughout the trip.

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

I don't know what I was going for with this photo. Trying to be artsy or something??

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Up next: Margarita(s) time!

bee

Original Poster
Day 1, cont.

Going into this trip I knew one of my must-try items was the Rose Margarita from Jardin de Fiestas. But before we could even reach the kiosk, we got distracted by the new-to-us Choza de Margarita that replaced the old margarita stand from pre-Frozen days.

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

It was surprisingly uncrowded in this area, which typically is a huge bottleneck when trying to get from WS to FW or vice versa.

tumblr_p9930gBSWi1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

Once again I took a bunch of photos while I waited for M to order.

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Guava and Pink Peppercorn Margarita-not sure of the price because it's not a F&G item, but I think around $13-14

Can you say, "yum!" The flavors worked well together and there was no "bite" of cheap tequila at the end. Yes it was expensive but it was better quality than most of the margs on property outside of La Cava or the Coronado Springs restaurants.

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo5_1280.jpg
MONORAIL!!!

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo6_1280.jpg

I loved these vibrant red and yellow flowers!

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

Next it was time for Jardin de Fiestas.

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo8_1280.jpg

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Rose Margarita – $11.50

Let's just say I wish I hadn't had the guava margarita right before this one, because I think I would have liked it better that way. You could definitely tell it was premade with cheaper tequila. Oh well, one and done.

tumblr_p9b3h7Ytvk1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

I can't believe we missed Smash Mouth!!!!!11111 someBODY

Up next: Our room is ready!

Songbird76

Introduction, cont.

We thought about renting a wheelchair, but we didn't want M to be exhausted from pushing me everywhere. I knew there was no way I could walk long distances or stand on line for more than 5-10 minutes without a break to sit, so we came to the eventual conclusion that the best solution was to rent a scooter.

I was hesitant for multiple reasons. We've all witnessed or experienced bad scooter/EVC behavior (going too fast and running into someone, running over someone's foot, riding 2-3 abreast and blocking the flow of traffic, letting kids operate the scooter, etc.). Of course I was afraid of being judged as someone who is young and looks healthy. I was also afraid the vehicle might be difficult to operate, or the parks might be difficult to navigate. But I sucked it up and went ahead and booked a scooter from ScooterBug for each of the Disney parts of the trip.

With the scooter reserved, I could finally get excited for the trip, though of course I still had doubts in the back of my mind.

If you've made it through three text-only posts, thanks for bearing with me while I set up the situation! After this there will be LOTS of photos (seriously, I took almost 1000 in just six days) of food, drinks, flowers, animals, and everything else we saw and did!

Up next: Day 1
Really? After what you've been through, I think the LEAST we can do is bear with a few text-only posts. Especially as they aren't very long. So sorry you experienced that, but it sounds like you at least got the students out relatively unscathed! That's pretty impressive. I hope you have no damage to your "pipes" from smoke inhalation!

KatieLVT

Day 1, cont.

As I mentioned before we sat near the back row, thinking we could just take our time getting off after the mad rush to exit. Then a FA announced that the disability assistants were all leaving and taking away the wheelchairs! The FA instructed anyone who needed a wheelchair to raise their hand, but of course we were in the back so they couldn't see us. Then the FA said we could press the call button if we needed a wheelchair, so we avoided the crisis. But we decided we would sit in the front of the plane for the flight home!

A really nice airport employee named Kyle wheeled me all the way from the gate to the passenger pickup area. Soon we were calling a Lyft and then we were on our way to the World! Franco was our driver and we had a great experience with him.

I always wonder what it would be like to stay at the Gaylord Palms...

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo2_1280.jpg

A welcome sight!

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo3_1280.jpg

Construction...

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo4_1280.jpg

A peek at Galaxy's Edge...

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo5_1280.jpg

More construction...

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo7_1280.jpg

WE'RE HERE!!!

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo9_1280.jpg

tumblr_p991v7scDi1un92rjo10_1280.jpg

Up next: Check-in, bad behavior, and my first time on a scooter!
I know two others have mentioned it already, but I have stayed at the Gaylord in Nashville and National Harbor (for work) and will NEVER do it again unless absolutely necessary. It's HUGE and they keep you trapped in their giant city/bubble thing. It's like a weird Bio-Dome situation! Haha!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@bee , I took the bus to EPCOT & DHS :facepalm:. Just thought it was too hot to walk there--I don't do well in the heat.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that you were probably better off walking/or riding the scooter, because they didn't quite have their act together for the (week only) added bus routes, from the Swan to those 2 parks. It wasn't bad getting to EPCOT, but departing EPCOT, there was NO sign for where the bus would be?! :jawdrop: I walked all over the bus area and no sign, nor anyone to ask.

The information booth at the bus area was closed (this was around 6 p.m., not midnight . . . :banghead: ). Turns out I found another couple also aimlessly roaming, and looking for the Swan bus, too. Finally, some guy in a uniform goes by, and the couple asks him about the location of the bus. He tells her it's #9. She asks why there is NO sign? He said the sign shop was behind in making signs . . . :rolleyes: , so the woman asks him why there no one assigned to direct hotel guests? He said he had 4 people working the area to direct guests . . . (um, where???!!!). I'll just leave it there. :banghead:

bee

Original Poster
Wow - congrats to you & the other adults involved in getting those kids out of there safe! I am wishing you a safe & full recovery :happy:
Thank you! I am on my way, even if it's hard to be patient with the healing process!

I’m so pleased you got on your trip after you horrible incident and really looking forward to hearing all about it.
The photos are taking me back to my first ever F&G trip in March so keep em coming!
Thank you! I hope you get to attend F&G again soon!

Really? After what you've been through, I think the LEAST we can do is bear with a few text-only posts. Especially as they aren't very long. So sorry you experienced that, but it sounds like you at least got the students out relatively unscathed! That's pretty impressive. I hope you have no damage to your "pipes" from smoke inhalation!
Thank you! I was the one to go out on to investigate our escape route, and luckily the other teacher reminded me to cover my mouth. So I used my jacket to protect myself and it looks like I didn't have any issues related to the smoke.

I know two others have mentioned it already, but I have stayed at the Gaylord in Nashville and National Harbor (for work) and will NEVER do it again unless absolutely necessary. It's HUGE and they keep you trapped in their giant city/bubble thing. It's like a weird Bio-Dome situation! Haha!
That sounds...like not a fun vacation!

@bee , I took the bus to EPCOT & DHS :facepalm:. Just thought it was too hot to walk there--I don't do well in the heat.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that you were probably better off walking/or riding the scooter, because they didn't quite have their act together for the (week only) added bus routes, from the Swan to those 2 parks. It wasn't bad getting to EPCOT, but departing EPCOT, there was NO sign for where the bus would be?! :jawdrop: I walked all over the bus area and no sign, nor anyone to ask.

The information booth at the bus area was closed (this was around 6 p.m., not midnight . . . :banghead: ). Turns out I found another couple also aimlessly roaming, and looking for the Swan bus, too. Finally, some guy in a uniform goes by, and the couple asks him about the location of the bus. He tells her it's #9. She asks why there is NO sign? He said the sign shop was behind in making signs . . . :rolleyes: , so the woman asks him why there no one assigned to direct hotel guests? He said he had 4 people working the area to direct guests . . . (um, where???!!!). I'll just leave it there. :banghead:
UGH! Get it together, Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom