First time going with five kids

EpcotMark

Original Poster
I have been to Disney World many times, but this will be the first time I am going with my parents, my sister, her husband, and five kids ages 1,3,5,7, and 10. All the adults have been to Disney, but none of the kids. We are going to be there the week of Fathers Day. Flying in on that day and leaving the following Sunday. Thus we have six days to experience the parks at our leisure. The book The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2018 with Kids, has been invaluable. But I would like to ask a few questions to the forum.

1. Choosing the park order. I concur with the book that if you have not been to Disney before, you should visit Epcot first. As you will not be spoiled by having done the magic kingdom and expecting those same fantasy elements to be the same everywhere else. The books goes so far as to save Magic Kingdom for last. Would you agree?

2. I have heard from some sources that renting a stroller (We will need one double) is best to get from outside third party's that can have the stroller waiting for you when you arrive at the resort. (We are staying at All Star.) Any recommendations on a good third party to rent a stroller from?

3. Some of my sisters kids have food allergies. And with there being five kids, my sister is understandably wanting to prepare a lot of their own meals themselves. Especially in the morning. So, she wants to order groceries and have them delivered to the resort. What is the best service for this? Green Grocer? Any tips or suggestions on grocery delivery?

4. Being an uncle, I myself have been looking for ways to deliver magical moments to the kids throughout the trip. As well as creating lasting memories. I have been brainstorming on discovering unique ways to do this, beyond just getting all the kids "first time" buttons to wear. Trying to think creatively. Ideas?

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Hello! I don't have any children but brought my nephew once so I will answer the best way a non mommy can!

1. I agree on Epcot first. Not only to set expectation of other parks (Though EPCOT is my favorite so I think its magical) but also MK is busier on Sundays and Mondays compared to other parks. You can also check out the Extra Magic Hours schedule if you are looking to have long days. Just with young ones, make sure you take time for breaks in the day. You will probably spend the least amount of time at Hollywood Studios since there aren't too many rides for children. There are some good shows there though but Toy Story land wont be open yet.

2. That I don't know - I have a guide book that has $5.00 off coupons. I bet you could also find some deals when you get down there as well.

3. If you have Amazon Prime they have a service that can deliver grocery's to the resorts. I think its a $5.00 charge but the prices of groceries are cheaper than Green Grocer.

4. Maybe one night get the kids out of the room with another adult and decorate the room with Crepe paper, Mickey Mouse posters and stuffed animals you brought with you. Its so expensive to do an in room celebration but you could probably do one yourself for about $50? Bring things ahead of time or shop at the local Target. I got so many Disney souvenirs from there and was a fraction of the cost.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Princess_Beatrice

Wow! I’m so excited for those kids. Here’s my input...
Check out crowd calanders to see which parks would be busiest on which days. We usually start out with AK first. Doing the MK first might be too much, too soon. Personally I feel MK should be the big reveal. Do you have a resort day planned?

I have heard good things about kingdom stroller rentals. My last trip was my first as a mom. I ended up bringing my own city mini for the trip. Prior to making that decision I did look at the two main stroller rental websites. Both had similar reviews and comparable pricing. Does your sister have a stroller she could bring?

I ordered from garden grocer for my trip last spring. Probably won’t do it again because it’s very expensive and not much variety. For my trip this fall I’m going to order from Amazon. If you do decide to use garden grocer, order soon because they do offer discounts if you order early. Does your room have a kitchen? Never been to the all stars.

Have you considered ordering those Disney family vacation shirts from Etsy? It’s silly but kids get a kick out of it. How about having the kids names embroidered on their first set of ears? The hat shop near the entrance of MK offers this service and it’s not very expensive. Why not offer to give the mom and dad a break for the night? Take the kids to watch an outdoor movie.

correcaminos

I have been to Disney World many times, but this will be the first time I am going with my parents, my sister, her husband, and five kids ages 1,3,5,7, and 10. All the adults have been to Disney, but none of the kids. We are going to be there the week of Fathers Day. Flying in on that day and leaving the following Sunday. Thus we have six days to experience the parks at our leisure. The book The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2018 with Kids, has been invaluable. But I would like to ask a few questions to the forum.

1. Choosing the park order. I concur with the book that if you have not been to Disney before, you should visit Epcot first. As you will not be spoiled by having done the magic kingdom and expecting those same fantasy elements to be the same everywhere else. The books goes so far as to save Magic Kingdom for last. Would you agree?

2. I have heard from some sources that renting a stroller (We will need one double) is best to get from outside third party's that can have the stroller waiting for you when you arrive at the resort. (We are staying at All Star.) Any recommendations on a good third party to rent a stroller from?

3. Some of my sisters kids have food allergies. And with there being five kids, my sister is understandably wanting to prepare a lot of their own meals themselves. Especially in the morning. So, she wants to order groceries and have them delivered to the resort. What is the best service for this? Green Grocer? Any tips or suggestions on grocery delivery?

4. Being an uncle, I myself have been looking for ways to deliver magical moments to the kids throughout the trip. As well as creating lasting memories. I have been brainstorming on discovering unique ways to do this, beyond just getting all the kids "first time" buttons to wear. Trying to think creatively. Ideas?

1 - I honestly don't think it matters much. We do Epcot first because we love it. We used to do MK first because we liked it more. I really think there is no wrong answer

2 - are you flying? With ones that little I found airports eaiser to navigate with a stroller. Stored stuff and kept small kids together easier. We purchased cheap ones that were lightweight (like $50 each) so cheaper than renting and gave the ease of navigating airports.

3. We prefer Instacart (Public, Whole Foods, Costco, and ABC Wine/Liquor stores all go through there) or Prime Now. Both are about half as much as Garden Grocer. Must be there to take delivery for alcohol with Instacart. Super easy to do though.

4. Don't try to plan too much - kids will have magical moments when you least expect it. Maybe do a character meal though.

Good luck and have fun!

Jim Chandler

It is June and it will be busy. We base where to go and when on getting fast passes. Btw think about FP for fireworks at MK you are in an area where you actually have space to watch the show.
Are you staying at a Disney hotel if you are you probably want to take part in the extra hours you get. With the ages of your kids you also should look at breaking things up. Like doing Epcot in the am going back for naps/rest and then hitting MK at night. Be fluid do not try and control everything let it flow. Make the kids part of the planning especially the 3 older ones. Sit down with them and make ample use of the Disney sites. Not knowing if they are boys or girls don’t forget they have the princess make up for girls and I think pirates for the boys. Too bad your trip is not a couple of weeks later as toystoryland will open on June 30th. Good luck

SuddenlyDisney

Nope wholeheartedly disagree! There's nothing like a kid's face when they walk into Magic Kingdom on the very first morning. It would be diluted by seeing characters and whatever magic there is in other parks first. Took my kids to MK first and it was pure wonderment walking up to their first real fairy castle. Definitely doing MK first when I take my grandkids on our upcoming trip.

Publix for delivery or Walmart for pickup due to more selection.

I have something unique an uncle could do! Something families with young kids might struggle finding time to do that is easy just time consuming. Tell them you're in charge of autograph books. Print out a small photo of each character and attach it to an index card. Punch three holes in the top of each and use binder rings to make each book. Attach the middle to a lanyard. If you're sticking together grab a photo of the kids with the character or have Mom or Dad get one if you are split up.

When you get home get a poster frame for each child. Get the photos printed. Arrange the note card with each character's autograph with the child's photo with that character here and there on a sheet of poster board using scrapbooking glue so it won't yellow or damage the pictures. Put them in the frame and give them to each child as a gift.

Bonus: If you play it right you'll have covered both making Disney more awesome, and Christmas, other holiday, or birthday gifts for the little darlings.

And now that I've thought of this for you I'm stealing the idea. I've already started hunting character photos.

kimberlymautz

For my daughter's first trip we did two days at Magic Kingdom and made it out first and last stops. I was also afraid she wouldn't like the other parks quite as much, but I was very pleasantly surprised when she raved about how much she loved Epcot (she was 5). Doing it the first and last day also gave us the chance to come up with a list of rides we didn't get on the first day and wanted to make sure we got to, but also rides that we just loved and wanted to get on again before we left. To us it was really great to have our first and last days be at the castle.

I'll probably be the exception, but I'd actually suggest bringing a stroller from home if you have one that size. When we last flew (to Puerto Rico, last time we went to Disney we drove) it was so nice to have the stroller in the airport to maneuver my daughter around and have her contained until our flight took off. It was also familiar to her so she was comfortable napping in it and what not while we were out. This upcoming trip I'll bring my double stroller with us for my 6m old and the airline just takes it when we board. Makes my life a little easier.
I've heard that Kingdom Strollers is a really good rental company though if bringing your own isn't an option. A friend recently used them when her stroller broke mid trip and said they were really nice and brought the stroller over very quickly.

I actually used Amazon for our last trip and had no complaints. You can also mail nonperishables down, but I'm not sure how much money it would actually save you. I've never used Green Grocer though so I can't speak to them.

Matching shirts are always a hit with my daughter, even not necessarily the exact same shirt, but same character or theme. As an example: my daughter picked out Lion King shirts for us so when we go to Animal Kingdom we'll all wear them. Hers has Hakuna Matata on it, my son's has a big Zumba head on it, and mine is a pattern with a bunch of different characters. I also bought plain shirts from the craft store to decorate and surprise her with.
I also bought window clings so she can decorate the windows at the resort, they're easy to store since they're so thin, but they'll keep her entertained while we're in the room.
I'm sure I'll think of more ideas, but I would check Pinterest! Tons of options and easy ideas. :)
Maybe plan a character meal for them? I know they're always a hit.

Have a fantastic trip!

olinecoach61

1 - personal choice, but the younger kids are going to want to live in Fantasyland in MK. I would make sure you plan for extra time there. Also if you can get to MK close to rope drop you can get a lot done while everyone else is on Space and Splash.
2 - We have used Kingdom Strollers 3 or 4 times now and will use them again next year. The have great strollers and will work with you if there is an issue. We switched from a double to two singles during the trip and they were great about it.
3 - We have used Garden Grocer - in general we have been happy with it. A few times they substituted a lesser product which they replaced after complaint. I have friends who have used Amazon Pantry with success.
4 - Move it Shake it parade - it runs a few times per day, check the times guide. If you get up to the castle area where the road loops around, the parade stops and you get to dance with some characters right in the street. My kids loved it - the first and second parade vehicles will have Stitch and Genie from Alladin.

winstongator

Where you can really help, and enjoy some special time, is taking the older kids on rides when your sister and/or brother-in-law stay with the younger kids, or the flip-side, staying with younger kids while the parents or grandparents go with the older kids. Photopass spots and character meet & greets are awesome options for both.

I'd get some Disney themed goodies ahead of the trip, possibly bunch or pins on Ebay or elsewhere, and have them to give to the kids at points on the trip. Buying the stuff outside the bubble can save some money. Don't go overboard on that though.

Bring some snacks into the park, for yourself and the kids. They'll be helpful, especially with the allergies.

joejccva71

I don't really have any advice for you, but i do have a pop quiz!

It's a MK day and you guys are gearing up ready for Happily Ever After and the fireworks. It's busy, really busy. Lots of people front and behind. The show is just about to start.

The kids can't see cause of the sheer amount of people. There are 6 adults and 5 kids.

What do you do?

winstongator

I don't really have any advice for you, but i do have a pop quiz!

It's a MK day and you guys are gearing up ready for Happily Ever After and the fireworks. It's busy, really busy. Lots of people front and behind. The show is just about to start.

The kids can't see cause of the sheer amount of people. There are 6 adults and 5 kids.

What do you do?
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-beginning-of-something-special.938261/#post-8084579

I'm not very tall, so my younger daughter on my shoulders ends up only as tall as my taller friends.

I'm so excited for you all! Especially the munchins going for their first time. We used Magic Strollers and couldn't be happier. The rental was clean, easy to use once we figured out opening it up lol and inexpensive. I think it was 80ish for 5 days? We were there earlier this month. Planning two more with all the kids and one of those trips to either Disneyland or something else.

buseegal

one thing you have not mentioned that you will need for a June trip is a raincover for whatever stroller you guys end up using. not sure how many meals sister can prepare at All Star. not sure you will even have a microwave and the refrg is very small. think half galloon of milk and not much more no freezer. yes you can take food in to parks but there is no where that you can heat up food brought in. know it is late in game but for preparing your own meals the best place is the cabins at Fort Wilderness which have a full sized refrig and cooktop and a dishwasher. we have done the offsite stroller rental but I am not sure which one as parents did that.

WDWFan2018

We started and ended with MK. The kids loved it!
We rented from Kingdom Strollers and they were great. It was there when we checked in and we just left it with bell services when we checked out.
You can also check out P&K Family Rentals if you need cribs, high chairs, car seats etc...
I had gift baskets made up for my kids for their first trip. It was Mickey mouse ears, and autograph book with pen, a stuffed animal and some snacks. I only had to buy 2 of them so maybe that's not an option when you're buying for 5 kids. But the hotel delivered it to the room after we checked in and the kids were so excited to get their own personal delivery haha.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom