CC 5K question

mikewdw

Original Poster
What are the nuts and bolts of how the morning goes for the race? My wife and i are considering running it. Our kids are 14 and 12. Do people go back to ship to get stuff for day at CC or do they bring and drop stuff somewhere? Is course straight line or double back on itself? I thought i saw youtube of someone who passed people on way to finish. We have 2 stops at CC so will there be race both days? any info we need to know about it?
thanks
mikewdw

lostpro9het

What are the nuts and bolts of how the morning goes for the race?
You will gather with the other racer's about an hour before the all ashore at one of the clubs. You will get your bib there. You will disembark with the race group before other guests get to go ashore. DON'T FORGET TO GRAB SOME TOWELS AS YOU DISEMBARK! The group will walk together to the start/finish line and then the race will begin

Do people go back to ship to get stuff for day at CC or do they bring and drop stuff somewhere?
Depends on the people. There is a bag drop at the start of the race. We always just pack our gear and change after the race rather than going back on the ship.

Is course straight line or double back on itself?
It double backs.

any info we need to know about it?
It will probably be the flattest 5k you'll ever run, almost like running down hill the whole time but in a sauna.

EOD K9

Just as @lostpro9het says. We've met at the club or D-Lounge. Disembark, grab a towel, and walk the mile to the start. We've packed our bags with our suits and sundries and changed after the run. Even though you are going for two days, time on the island is precious and not to be wasted. There is a clock that is running but you are not chipped our scored.
The course starts at the bike rental facility, heads down the runway and into the circuit. You head back onto the runway and head to Serenity Bay and turn there back down the runway. You head into the loop again and out. You turn left this time at the exit and back to where you started.

You'll get a finishers medal (rubber medal) at the end. We are double dipping on our cruise in July as well.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just as @lostpro9het says. We've met at the club or D-Lounge. Disembark, grab a towel, and walk the mile to the start. We've packed our bags with our suits and sundries and changed after the run. Even though you are going for two days, time on the island is precious and not to be wasted. There is a clock that is running but you are not chipped our scored.
The course starts at the bike rental facility, heads down the runway and into the circuit. You head back onto the runway and head to Serenity Bay and turn there back down the runway. You head into the loop again and out. You turn left this time at the exit and back to where you started.

You'll get a finishers medal (rubber medal) at the end. We are double dipping on our cruise in July as well.

There's a bag drop? We just returned to our storeroom for shower & breakfast.

Was going to ask if you were doing the 5k during the member cruise. I've done it before, but that part of the course in the circuit is a killer, even in October. Is the medal for the CC 5k still that rubber thing? I thought they switched to metal when the rD 5k races did.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You will gather with the other racer's about an hour before the all ashore at one of the clubs. You will get your bib there. You will disembark with the race group before other guests get to go ashore. DON'T FORGET TO GRAB SOME TOWELS AS YOU DISEMBARK! The group will walk together to the start/finish line and then the race will begin

Depends on the people. There is a bag drop at the start of the race. We always just pack our gear and change after the race rather than going back on the ship.

It double backs.

It will probably be the flattest 5k you'll ever run, almost like running down hill the whole time but in a sauna.

A sauna with the sun beating on you....

EOD K9

There's a bag drop? We just returned to our storeroom for shower & breakfast.

Was going to ask if you were doing the 5k during the member cruise. I've done it before, but that part of the course in the circuit is a killer, even in October. Is the medal for the CC 5k still that rubber thing? I thought they switched to metal when the rD 5k races did.
There is a bag drop. It is a wooden box next to the water cooler. You'd miss it if you weren't looking for it. It doesn't hold a whole lot though. I've run it on cruises in Feb, March, July, and December. Yes, it can get really hot. I do plan on running it one or both days. I still want to actually enjoy my vacation. Last year they were still rubber. We didn't do it three weeks ago as I figure we could run it in July.

NelleBelle

We had no idea about the bag drop either (not that we'd likely have made use of it). We always just make our way back to the ship to change and grab a bite to eat (and wash our running clothes out). Would love to get the special medal if we could ever book a cruise after marathon weekend and still feel up to running 😩

ChuckElias

I just ran the 5K yesterday. All the information in this thread is very good. The only addition I can make is that this is the first time that it was a ticketed item. I was on the Dream and everybody (except me) had a ticket when we reported to Evolution lounge. The ticket wasn't actually required (they gave me a bib and a "medal"), but they use the ticketing process to determine how many "winner" lanyards to bring onto the island.

Sans Souci

Just make sure you're well-hydrated. I ran in September and because the course is mostly lined with dense foliage, there is very little breeze. I felt like someone threw a bucket of water on me. But definitely drink water before and after.

EOD K9

I just ran the 5K yesterday. All the information in this thread is very good. The only addition I can make is that this is the first time that it was a ticketed item. I was on the Dream and everybody (except me) had a ticket when we reported to Evolution lounge. The ticket wasn't actually required (they gave me a bib and a "medal"), but they use the ticketing process to determine how many "winner" lanyards to bring onto the island.
Did they say where one would obtain said ticket?

LAKid53

Premium Member

Are they still handing out the rubber medals?

ChuckElias

DSCN1091.JPG
DSCN1092.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom