Trip Report Meri Kurimasu from Tokyo Disney Resorts!

37970715705_0beef9174e_h.jpg

Aloha and Happy New Year to fellow forum members! I've been a way for a while, but you may remember me from my following trip reports (or if not, take a look if you feel inclined and have a few minutes to waste):

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/hauoli-makahiki-hou-from-disney-aulani-resort.923346/

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mele-kalikimaka-wdw-adventure-2015-completed.909533/#post-7076356

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mahalo-disneyland-for-60-magical-years.918436/

As some of you might know, I'm a Hawaii local so getting out to the Disney parks is a rare treat for me. By the good Lord's blessings, I've been able to visit various parks three years running (looks like 2018 will break that streak). 2017 took me to the land of the Rising Sun and what is probably the best Disney park in the world...Tokyo Disneysea!

I'm about 75% done processing my images, so it maybe a few more weeks before I can delve into a comprehensive trip report. But in the meantime, I wanted to share a picture of Tokyo Disneyland's Cinderella Castle. Yes, I know it's been taken and posted a billion times, but it's so iconic that I can't help but use it as my opening act.

See you folks soon!

Attachments

• 37970715705_0beef9174e_h.jpg
    37970715705_0beef9174e_h.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
So, so excited that you have another report going!!! I’ve been off the forums for a while (Disney depression at its finest ;)) but I’m so glad I came back in time to follow along! As many others have mentioned, absolutely stunning pictures as always. :)
Thank you so much! Glad that you're back and tagging along!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
I have to agree with everyone, your photos are amazing! Tokyo was already on my bucket list, but your descriptions and captivating pictures may lure me there sooner rather than later!
Glad you're enjoying the TR! I think you'll find Tokyo way better than anything I could show or explain. Hope you get there soon one day!

CaliKris

Surprisingly, that extra 15 minutes does make a big difference in the Tokyo parks. We were able to walk on Toy Story Mania while the queue quickly filled to an hour wait. It cracked me up to see the locals (normally so rule abiding) running past Cast Members holding "Please Walk" signs at rope drop. This seems to be a rule they are willing to break. The Tokyo parks are so clean, the people are so polite and the cast members very friendly even if they don't speak English. Your photos are amazing and your descriptions are spot on. So excited to read this report!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Surprisingly, that extra 15 minutes does make a big difference in the Tokyo parks. We were able to walk on Toy Story Mania while the queue quickly filled to an hour wait. It cracked me up to see the locals (normally so rule abiding) running past Cast Members holding "Please Walk" signs at rope drop. This seems to be a rule they are willing to break. The Tokyo parks are so clean, the people are so polite and the cast members very friendly even if they don't speak English. Your photos are amazing and your descriptions are spot on. So excited to read this report!

Agreed...those 15 minutes also allow you to grab fast passes for the more popular attractions. Hahaha, yes...even the well disciplined Japanese locals cannot resist running once the rope drops. I was scolded and frowned at more than once during my visit, but not for running (details to follow)!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Tokyo Disneysea 2017 88- Mediterranean Harbor Pano by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The panorama above was taken on one of the rare days the sky was blue (gray seemed to be the color of choice for most of the trip). This picture really illustrates the mind boggling talents of Imagineers when given an ample budget and creative freedom. With Disney buying up every license they can get their hands on, I fear the day will come when original park designs NOT tied into existing properties will be a thing of the past. So feast your eyes on majestic Mount Prometheus as it anchors Fortress Explorations and segues into the Mediterranean Harbor. It would be sad to see this architectural and engineering feat replaced by a hodge podge of Pixar and Marvel lands!

Full disclosure here. I'm a life long collector having started with comic books and branching out into books, toys, movie memorabilia, gum cards, original art, and tons more. As I've advanced in age, I've come to that point where downsizing and getting rid of clutter has moved up on the priority ladder. The photos I take are now my take home "souvenirs" although I still enjoy browsing through the various stores.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 31 - Mickey & Minnie Window Display by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The various shops and restaurants are careful to maintain the Italian theming with "Merchants of Venice" and "Mamma Biscotti's Bakery" being two of my favorites. The window displays and attention to details are top notch, although the merchandise itself is somewhat generic. T-shirts, a popular item in the states, are scare here. Shirts with theme park designs are almost non-existant. I did manage to find one with a Disneysea logo, but otherwise, nada!

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 88- Merchants of Venice Display 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

"Omiyage" (gift) is a very important tradition in Japan. The locals purchase multiple items to give as presents to family and friends upon returning home. In Hawaii, sales associates are use to giving Japanese tourists extra packages when ringing up their purchases. Being able to give the gift in a bag with the store logo/name is very prestigious (and sort of proves they were on vacation). I did buy a number of pins and snacks for friends, and the cast members were constantly adding extra bags into my package. I ended up giving quite a bit back as I hate to waste (especially when it comes to plastic).

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 91- Merchants of Venice Display 02 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

One of the most popular omiyage is snacks. Besides having colorful outside packaging, a majority of the snacks are individually wrapped. This allows the buyer to divide the snacks between a number of recipients (thus the need for extra bags). Japanese sweets use a lot less sugar than American versions and tend to be a lot lighter. A very popular treat is "arare" or rice crackers. Covered with a shoyu sauce and "nori" (seaweed), its tastes a lot better than how it sounds. If you do visit the parks, try it in addition to the standard cookies & candies.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 86- Water Fountain Detail by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 87- Mamma Biscotti Detail by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Mamma Biscotti's Bakery is right outside Miracosta's park entrance so I found myself having coffee and a delicious danish during much of my hotel stay. I think I've learned to enjoy those moments of soaking in the sights and just living in the moment. It doesn't last long until I'm back out there fighting the crowds and trying to take a decent picture, but hey, you take what you can get!

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 90- Mamma Biscotti Counter Displa.jpgy by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 77 - Baked Goods @ Mamma Biscotti's by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

While in the Mediterranean area, I decided to give the snack cart a try.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 41 - Mickey Ice Bars Anyone? by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

It was a toss up between the Tiramisu Ice Cream Sandwich and the Mickey "Tropical Fruit" Ice Bar. Being from Hawaii, where tropical treats are pretty common, I opted for the Tiramisu.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 36 - Tiramisu Ice Cream Sandwich by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Like the pastries, Japan ice cream tends to be less sweet which makes devouring one of these high calorie delights guilt free (almost). Unfortunately, this was one of the rare times where they actual experience failed to live up to the hype. The cookie layer was frozen so hard that I could barely bite off a piece. The overall flavor tasted very indistinct and somewhat bland. A rare thumbs down for a food item at the Tokyo parks!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Tokyo Disneysea 2017 01-Mediterranean Harbor by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Like every other Disney park, Mediterranean Harbor really shines at night! Because the dark obscures a lot of detail, it's easier for our minds to accept the illusion constructed by the Imagineers. If you thought this area was impressive during the day, the magic triples once the sun goes down.

As we get further along into my report, you may notice a lesser amount of night images than usual, or that composition/perspective seems a little askew at times. It boils down to no tripods being allowed in the parks. I'm not sure when the ban started, but it was done for safety reasons (I wouldn't be surprised at all if this rule is eventually enforced at the USA parks). Fortunately, the Tokyo parks do have a fair amount of walls and ledges that provide some stability for cameras, along with the usual standby of rubbish cans and dining tables.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 03 - Exploring Over the Mediterranean Harbor by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The image above, taken a little after sunset, was accomplished by balancing my camera on a narrow ledge. Careful not to shake my Nikon, I kept the strap (attached to the camera) on my neck because the drop below was quite far. I normally like to more panoramas, but without a tripod, the necessity of matching up the individual shots proved difficult to say the least. I did manage to stitch together the image below (comprising of 5 separate shots) thanks to the use of a bean bag (tip courtesy of the awesome Tom Bricker). I found it quite handy for mounting my camera on poles or any support that was not flat or even.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 16 - Mediterranean Harbor @ Dusk by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The other method I found useful was a Platypod. It's basically a flat metal plate that mounts a tripod head. Perfect for the top of walls, I was able to do a fair number of long exposure shots using this gizmo.

I remember the first day at the park, wandering around feeling overwhelmed and a bit down as the light faded. Beautiful scenery that I would have gobbled up with a tripod, now seemed to tease me with an elusive demeanor. As time headed towards evening and crowds began to slowly dwindle, I hung out at the Palazzo Canals, an area almost deserted due to the gondola ride closing down for the evening.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 38 - Looking Up @ Ristorante Di Canaletto by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Other than the occasional guest heading to "Ristorante de Canaletto" for late dinner (picture below), I pretty much had the place to myself. I decided to use the Platypod since the walls blocking off the canal were low and wide. Setting the camera for a 30 second exposure, I crossed my fingers, and finally began seeing some decent images of this beautifully lit area!

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 40 - Silent Night @ Palazzo Canals by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 36 - Evening On the Palazzo Canals by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

This location really became my home base of sorts, a place I would retreat to when I needed to get away from the crowds or to decompress. It's the same with Main Street when I'm at Disneyland or WDW. Something about the vibe that makes me feel safe and comfortable.

Remember when I mentioned earlier how gray skies were the norm while I was in Tokyo? Although cloud cover will suck the blues right out of the sky, I tend to view clouds as more of a positive in photography, especially at night. Clouds will automatically increase the dramatic mood of an image . This is especially true at sunset and the blue hour.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 24 - Mount Prometheus Viewed from the Venice Canals by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 27 - Dusk On Mount Prometheus by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

I initially planned not to show any images of Mt. Prometheus until I got to the section covering Mysterious Island, but that icon is visible from nearly every area in the park (Not that it's a bad thing. The mountain integrates itself seamlessly into whatever port you're visiting...enhancing, rather than shattering any Disney designed theme/illusion).

Another icon that is hard to escape is the Tower of Terror. It is clearly visible from both Mediterranean and American Waterfront.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 47 - Sunset On the Mediterranean by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Again, the Christmas decorations are done tastefully with some measure of restraint giving this entire port a truly classic feel and look!

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 42 - Christmas Wishes 2017 Signage by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

A water show titled "Color of Christmas" took place every night on the water with lighted trees covering the water. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to shoot it, so a picture of the general area where the show takes place is all I can provide.

Tokyo Disneysea 2017 33 - Mediterranean Harbor Stage by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

This wraps up my coverage of Mediterranean Harbor. I'll take a short hiatus and return with a report on Tokyo Disneyland (I'm going to hop back and forth between the two parks to keep things fresh).

Until then, wishing everyone a Happy Easter and remember...Christ has risen!

cgersic

I'm so glad you are updating this again! To say your photos are fabulous is an understatement. The colors and faces are like no others I see on here. And your descriptions would write a book. Looking forward to more!

Juneau Biscuits

Original Poster
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 12 - Cast Member Oikawa Gives a Mickey Wave by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

I apologize for the longer than anticipated installment of my Japan trip. After blazing though the first part featuring Disneysea, I admit to hitting a writer's roadblock when discussing Tokyo Disneyland! Possibly due to similarities to the USA parks, I found it hard to talk about things that haven't been discussed a million times before. Nonetheless, I'm heading out for a week's vacation and wanted to get at least one installment done before I leave. I'll probably pepper this post with a bit more photos than usual, so pardon me for the imbalance of words to pictures.

The first thing that will hit you as you enter into TDL is the roof over World Bazaar (Japan's version of Main Street USA)! It's a serious aberration that breaks the illusion so carefully crafted in the American parks. I understand it was done as a means of dealing with Tokyo weather, but the cost is high. World Bazaar never really recovers from having a ceiling, feeling more like an indoor shopping mall than a stroll down a small town. Once you get over the initial shock, the theming and attention to details on Main Street still retains the high standard set by the Japan parks. There's an abundant amount of Disney performers and cast members here, more so than other areas. It's always a little jarring to watch a performance with cast members speaking in Japanese, but the level of exuberance and energy makes up for the language barrier.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 09 - Your Friendly Main Street Police Officer by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 73 - Entrance Performers by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Cast members here are super friendly and helpful, but I would not say that it's a big leap over the states. I was scolded a bit more this time around for not understanding their photography rules better, but that's part of their jobs.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 31 - Traveling Piano Player by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 03 - Cast Member Watanabe by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Christmas decorations are a little more pronounced here as opposed to TDS. The obligatory Christmas Tree stands majestically near the entrance, grabbing a large amount of attention and selfies. Even after park closing, I found it hard to photograph the tree without any people in the shots. I should have taken multiple exposures and manually remove them in post, but I actually don't mind it as it gives a better size perspective.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 20 - World Bazaar Christmas Tree Early Morning by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 25 - World Bazaar Christmas Tree by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 66 - Closing Hour @ World Bazzar by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 70 - For Safety Please Walk by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The roof definitely has a visual impact on photos, but I do like the texture it gives to the sky (and with Tokyo being overcast much of the time, this can be a good thing). The above image of the cast member holding the "walk" sign reminds me of how the Japanese will initiate a "fast walk/close to running" movement as they enter the parks. The internal struggle between following Japan social rules v.s. the need to get to their destination of choice as fast as possible is quite amusing. In America, guests will pretty much run full tilt, disregarding pleas of safety from cast members...LOL!

Main street stores have the same attention to detail one expects, but there seems to be a little something "extra" when it comes to the window displays. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I sense a little more pride and personal touch coming from the artists and set designers.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 67 - The Grand Emporium Window Display 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 65 - The Grand Emporium Detail by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 69 - Princess Window Display by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 56 - World Bazaar Window Display by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

One of my favorite places to eat at World Bazaar is the Center Street Coffee House. I found it quite by accident during my first visit in 2002 (internet wasn't quite up to snuff and info on TDL was very difficult to find). My first meal there was for breakfast and I had ordered a set menu consisting of a Mickey waffle, eggs, and a yogurt. After taking a bite, I immediately wanted to order an extra yogurt...never having tasted something so creamy, smooth, and delicious. I called over the waitress and asked her for another serving, followed by a look of bewilderment on her face. She could not understand someone wanting to order an extra of something on the menu and ended up asking another waitress, who called the manager, and proceeded to have a mini conference. After much debate, they informed me that they would have to charge me extra. Totally embarrassed by all the fuss, I smiled and said "Wakarimasu" (I understand in English). I've made it a point to always eat at Center Street whenever I visit, but I now stick to the menu and abolish any thoughts of special orders!

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 65 - Center Street Coffeehouse Interior by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 25 - Lunch @ Center Street Coffeehouse by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 75 - Greetings from Center Street Coffehouse Cast Member by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

To be continued...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom