News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

Entertain, yes. Inspire... to do what?

As adult, we wouldn't likely be inspired by Guardians. A kid could, no? I'm not saying a quickie coaster in the dark will inspire much, lol, but in theory, is Guardian's actually that poor of a fit? Just because the park started with no IP, why does that HAVE to be a rule? Again not really trying to defend Guardians but in the grand scheme of things ...

And with that I'm going to go wash my mouth out with soap.

Mike S

As adult, we wouldn't likely be inspired by Guardians. A kid could, no? I'm not saying a quickie coaster in the dark will inspire much, lol, but in theory, is Guardian's actually that poor of a fit? Just because the park started with no IP, why does that HAVE to be a rule? Again not really trying to defend Guardians but in the grand scheme of things ...

And with that I'm going to go wash my mouth out with soap.
Imo the Guardians are terrible role models. At the end of the first movie after becoming “good” they joke about theft and murder.

Incredibly entertaining though :)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Hmm. The profile of the train doesn't suggest a pivoting car coaster, but the number of cars/riders depicted doesn't rule one out, either. Certainly a piece of concept art wouldn't necessarily confirm the ride hardware, but rarely is released concept art totally off the mark.

Personal opinion only, but I wouldn't read too much into this "concept art". It looks like they took a stock photo of one of their other coasters (Maybe Disneyland's Space Mountain or something similar) and just photo shopped a new "skin" onto the train and a new background. If this were a fully computer rendered piece of concept work (like we got for Slinky Dog) I might be a little more prone to look for such details, but this image just looks like something the art department threw together in an afternoon to have "something" to show.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Personal opinion only, but I wouldn't read too much into this "concept art". It looks like they took a stock photo of one of their other coasters (Maybe Disneyland's Space Mountain or something similar) and just photo shopped a new "skin" onto the train and a new background. If this were a fully computer rendered piece of concept work (like we got for Slinky Dog) I might be a little more prone to look for such details, but this image just looks like something the art department threw together in an afternoon to have "something" to show.
Other art shows the same style of ride vehicle.

Kman101

Go elsewhere?

Unfortunately, this will be a massive draw. It's a coaster. That alone will inspire unreasonable wait times. The average guest will think this is great. (Not a defense of it; just the unfortunate reality, which will further cement their insistance that IP is a draw; Sindbad in Morocco would draw guests too -- they fail to realize that just about anything 'new' will ... especially in parks that have stagnated for so long)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Unfortunately, this will be a massive draw. It's a coaster. That alone will inspire unreasonable wait times. The average guest will think this is great. (Not a defense of it; just the unfortunate reality, which will further cement their insistance that IP is a draw; Sindbad in Morocco would draw guests too -- they fail to realize that just about anything 'new' will ... especially in parks that have stagnated for so long)
Exactly. Remember I called it a knee jerk band aid reaction ?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Which shows that only Cameron and Spielberg are kings on special effects.

Anyone remember the first Jurassic Park? It still looks so darn good...
Titanic? too!

Well, to be fair, both Jurassic Park and Titanic used a LOT of practical effects (probably more than most people realize... especially for Jurassic Park). Though I certainly won't argue that they used a perfect blend of CGI and Practical effects (which is always the best way to go when possible).

danheaton

The part about Epcot is just corporate trash marketing. They took Walt's words about the planned community he envisioned and made it sound like he was talking about the theme park. Especially egregious was saying how the brother of Walt, Roy, did the dedication of MK because Walt was dead... as if Roy wasn't a vital part of the corporation and they picked him to do the dedication simply because he was related to Walt.

Just propaganda.

Regardless of the intention, you can't deny that EPCOT Center inspired a lot of people. I visited it as a kid and was blown away by it. It was like nothing I'd seen (it's not like I visited the 1964 World's Fair or anything). It was brilliant, creative, and optimistic despite all the corporate connections. Now, there are still parts of that feeling, but it's such a mishmash.

montyz81

Exactly. Remember I called it a knee jerk band aid reaction ?
Hopefully with the time it is going to take to build this ride (4 years right???) perhaps the guilt of straying too far from the EPCOT Center concept will guilt them into building something worthy of EC and a UoE replacement while maintaining the draw of a coaster and GoTG IP.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I know and get that. What I am talking about is the part I pointed out stating the current purpose of Epcot Center. My point was to highlight that the GotU ride, will stray from. At least Seas provides a bit of education and inspiration using an IP to do it. My hope is that GoTU will keep to the energy theme. That is all I was saying.
I'm fine if it drops the energy theme as long as the theme is of an inspiring informative nature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom