News Swan and Dolphin Tower Expansion - The Walt Disney World Swan Reserve

P_Radden

Rooftop terrace should have a semi decent view of both DHS (although extremely offset) and Epcot (although further away) fireworks:
WDW tripe.png

Here is the building in relation to the existing resorts:

DSH2.png

DSH1.png

And as hideous as it looks upon first impression, at least it's not an actual cube like the render suggests.

Attachments

• DSH1.png
    DSH1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
  • DSH2.png
    DSH2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 184

P_Radden

... and sweeping vistas of busses belching diesel soot along busy roads in every direction. The epitome of a grand interstate motel.

Swan, Dolphin, and now the Skunk.
I don't like it either but I think you are exaggerating a bit. I will say for the 3 new resort towers going up at WDW, this one is by far the worst in terms aesthetics and meshing with existing surroundings.

Brad Bishop

I'm not a fan, either. I will remind folks that the Swan and Dolphin were frowned upon when they first went up. The Dolphin looked pretty hideous looming over the trees. Folks got used to it, though.

Epcot82Guy

I think it looks great.

If it were on Hotel Plaza blvd.

My thoughts exactly. I actually don't mind the idea of the glass box, but it should at least have had something more whimsical on the corners and top to make it relative to the existing buildings. It could easily be an updated, more sophisticated version of the coral-teal-etc. scheme accenting mostly glass. And - have some sort of icon statue (or something) up top. WDW Flamingo. WDW Pearl. WDW Palm (stupid Gaylord...). WDW Pellican. Anything. Especially being next to Fantasia Golf.

The WDW Generic Hotel just doesn't have the same ring to me...

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm not a fan, either. I will remind folks that the Swan and Dolphin were frowned upon when they first went up. The Dolphin looked pretty hideous looming over the trees. Folks got used to it, though.
Not by yours truly, I thought they were and are (although the renovation has made it lose a bit of its luster but I understand it was needed) fantastic pieces of art in their own right and helped really shape out the Crescent Lake area.

Bender123

I think it looks great.

If it were on Hotel Plaza blvd.

I think it would great there or in an Office Park. People hate on the Swolphin, but at least it has a unique "Disney" cred...its so weird that it would only work at WDW. This building looks like it should have a receptionist named Karen who makes you wait for your 2 PM interview with Bill from corporate accounting.

lazyboy97o

The siting of the Swan and Dolphin is atrocious but Graves was a star when they were commissioned.

I think it would great there or in an Office Park. People hate on the Swolphin, but at least it has a unique "Disney" cred...its so weird that it would only work at WDW. This building looks like it should have a receptionist named Karen who makes you wait for your 2 PM interview with Bill from corporate accounting.
The Swan and Dolphin are hardly unique Disney. They are unabashed Michael Graves.

Bender123

The siting of the Swan and Dolphin is atrocious but Graves was a star when they were commissioned.

The Swan and Dolphin are hardly unique Disney. They are unabashed Michael Graves.

Well, yeah...that's basically what I said. You take Graves designs to anywhere else in the world and it looks bat$#17 crazy. Somehow, you drop those things in Disney World, next to a giant sphere and an Eiffel tower and it looks like "Well...Ive accepted these other strange things exist here, so why draw the line at four story birds?" Compared to its surroundings, they seem almost pedestrian.

Somehow, the architecture in that area is so crazy that you drop a generic glass box down and it becomes the one that stands out. That is not an area where generic is a theme you want to run with...

BoarderPhreak

The Swan and Dolphin are clearly a bit "out of place" feeling, but they're nice enough to look at, I think. Their unique design makes them tolerable, even a little cool. As a fan of staying at the Swan/Dolphin (for various reasons) I'm not against them.

But I'm not gonna lie... That new building is a bit whack. Maybe for the target demographic it's fitting, but property-wise? Yeah... Not so much. At least it'll be "tucked out of the way" even farther than the Swan/Dolphin hotels. Maybe if they did a Mickey wrap around the building or something? 🤔

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom