Never go to the park without a bag.

thomas998

Original Poster
Having just visit last week we made the mistake one afternoon of going to EPCOT without any bags at all, the thought was we could zip through the security lines much faster if we didn't get help up in the bag lines. Well to our surprise we arrived to find that the bag checking lines were maybe at most 3 people deep while the line for entry without a bag was probably a hundred 60 people deep. Eventually we were told that we could use the bag line but when you use the bag line without a bag you are going to be automatically selected for the metal detector line to slow you down a bit further.

Second day we took an empty bag just in case, and the lines were the same... only this time we were able to hit the very short bag line and then didn't have to do a metal detector making it very fast. In the future I suggest you always take a bag even if it is empty so you can avoid the often extremely long no bag line... Out bag of choice has become a flimsy bookbag that if the no bag line is shortest we can fold up and cram in a pocket just in case that line is smaller.

I am Timmy

Thanks for the tip! We always bring a backpack since we need stuff.......... I am always the one to take it for the team and go through the bag line while my family zips through the non bag. Looks like we'll all be carrying a little something this holiday season!

Cake

My husband waited 5 min to go through the lane for guests with no bags. I got through the lane with bags quickly and was inside the park before I noticed he hadn’t even got past security. It also helps to show your AP on your magic band, and go through the AP line

BoarderPhreak

Always, always bring a bag. And pack some "survival gear" (aspirin, water, poncho, charger, credit card/cash for emergency, different shoes/flip-flops, Band-Aids for blisters, etc.). Also pack a Zip-Loc bag for your phone/electronics both for water rides and in case it rains. You're almost guaranteed to buy something (c'mon, it's Disney) and it'll be nice to have a bag. I'd suggest a backpack, but a shoulder bag works too. You don't want to have to carry anything if you can help it.

drwadadli

I know over and over on Disney forums the question always comes up about day-bags. I guess I just don't get it. I ALWAYS go to the parks without a bag and have never had any problems with security and that is including the recent trip this past October.

My husband waited 5 min to go through the lane for guests with no bags. I got through the lane with bags quickly and was inside the park before I noticed he hadn’t even got past security. It also helps to show your AP on your magic band, and go through the AP line
Why didn't your husband go through the same line as you? It's like boarding a plane, if you have zone 5 but someone in your party as zone 2, you board is zone 2. Therefore, even though he didn't have a bag it was ok for him to go through security with you.

Last edited:

Cake

I know over and over on Disney forums the question always comes up about day-bags. I guess I just don't get it. I ALWAYS go to the bags without a bag and have never had any problems with security and that is including the recent trip this past October.

Why didn't your husband go through the same line as you? It's like boarding a plane, if you have zone 5 but someone in your party as zone 2, you board is zone 2. Therefore, even though he didn't have a bag it was ok for him to go through security with you.

We tried that the next time through and it was faster.

jaklgreen

I am late to this thread but I never travel with a bag and I go every October and spend most of my time at Epcot. The non-bag line is always shorter then the bag check. At most I have had maybe 8-10 people ahead of me to get through security.

Weather_Lady

I've seen it happen both ways (bag line being longer, and much more rarely, bag line being shorter). I think you just have to travel the way that makes you feel comfortable and that helps maximize your enjoyment and minimize your stress. For me, that's using no bag or wearing a teensy-weensy crossbody that holds no more than a phone, sunglasses and a couple of Band-Aids. For my DH (he's an Eagle Scout - "always prepared," you know), that's bringing a ginormous military-style backpack with extra clothing, rain ponchos, First Aid supplies, sunscreen, snacks and sundries sufficient to help us survive a Florida ice storm, a nuclear strike, or a zombie apocalypse. Typically I get through the security lines faster, but sometimes he does (although the backpack does seem to guarantee that he always gets selected to go through the metal detector) -- it all evens out in the end.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I’m not carrying anything but my phone. After hundreds of entrances, never once waited in a long no-bag line. It was bizarre to read this!

I'm with you Tony. I've actually brought shorts that had nice deep pockets so I don't have to carry a bag. Now I don't know when the op went but I can't imagine a bag check with only three people? seriously. folks with strollers, lunch bags etc all take time to get checked.

Now I carry my Atm card, id, lipgloss, cell phon and a small pack of tissues and that's it.

Tony the Tigger

I'm with you Tony. I've actually brought shorts that had nice deep pockets so I don't have to carry a bag. Now I don't know when the op went but I can't imagine a bag check with only three people? seriously. folks with strollers, lunch bags etc all take time to get checked.

Now I carry my Atm card, id, lipgloss, cell phon and a small pack of tissues and that's it.

Cargo shorts! Never out of style to me lol.

Peridot25

I always bring a backpack with a few items, mostly personal necessities, because I use it to carry all the souvenirs I bought impulsively.

HwdStudio

Having just visit last week we made the mistake one afternoon of going to EPCOT without any bags at all, the thought was we could zip through the security lines much faster if we didn't get help up in the bag lines. Well to our surprise we arrived to find that the bag checking lines were maybe at most 3 people deep while the line for entry without a bag was probably a hundred 60 people deep. Eventually we were told that we could use the bag line but when you use the bag line without a bag you are going to be automatically selected for the metal detector line to slow you down a bit further.

Second day we took an empty bag just in case, and the lines were the same... only this time we were able to hit the very short bag line and then didn't have to do a metal detector making it very fast. In the future I suggest you always take a bag even if it is empty so you can avoid the often extremely long no bag line... Out bag of choice has become a flimsy bookbag that if the no bag line is shortest we can fold up and cram in a pocket just in case that line is smaller.
I just can’t agree with the advice to carry an empty bag. I have never once waited in the no bag line. Ever! I always walk right in with no line. I stopped taking a bag in years ago and it was liberating. So much easier than hauling a bag around.

jaklgreen

I just can’t agree with the advice to carry an empty bag. I have never once waited in the no bag line. Ever! I always walk right in with no line. I stopped taking a bag in years ago and it was liberating. So much easier than hauling a bag around.

I will say that I have had a minor stop going through the metal detector at the no bag line. But this would have happened in the bag line also because for some reason, some people do not understand how a metal detector works. This guy ahead of my went through with his phone and security told him to take it out and put it on the table. The guy acted all surprised and said "my phone too?" Security guy got kind of smart alec about it and said "well it's metal". There have been a few of these experiences backing up the metal detectors. For some reason people are not prepared to go through them. I think someone standing outside the gate to the no bag line needs to tell people and make sure that they have everything out and ready to go through the metal detector BEFORE they get in the line. Like say, hey stand off to the side and get all of your stuff out of your pockets before entering. I know I would appreciate that.

ppet

Backpacks are very important even if it's just a draw string. Wallets and small objects like to slip out of pockets.
Cargo shorts with Velcro or buttons take care of this. Worn them at amusement parks all over the country. Did all the coasters where you lay upside down until you flip over and hang under the coaster. Never once have I lost anything out of my pockets. A bag can get left behind on a ride very easily. This I've had happen to a member in my party once. Now they wear cargo shorts and have no problems.

SapphireStorm

As unfashionable as it is, I will admit that I was so glad I wore a (starts with f, rhymes with "Manny"- submitted it and it was edited out as a swear word...) pack on my trip to WDW last year!

jaklgreen

Cargo shorts with Velcro or buttons take care of this. Worn them at amusement parks all over the country. Did all the coasters where you lay upside down until you flip over and hang under the coaster. Never once have I lost anything out of my pockets. A bag can get left behind on a ride very easily. This I've had happen to a member in my party once. Now they wear cargo shorts and have no problems.

I always wear cargo shorts to the parks and have never lost anything out of them either.

daisyduckie

I could never visit the parks without a bag. The only thing I may put in a pocket is my chapstick. I'm to afraid I'd lose whatever I put in my pockets.

Patcheslee

I could never visit the parks without a bag. The only thing I may put in a pocket is my chapstick. I'm to afraid I'd lose whatever I put in my pockets.
At other parks I carry a 6"x9" bag. Just enough for all our wallets, phones, sunscreen clip on, cooling towel ties on the side, 3 cheap ponchos, ziplocs, pressed penny book, and coins. It's easier for us to throw it all in the same bag one the way, I go through bag check, while DH goes through no bag line with DD9. No one has to juggle putting everything back in pockets at the security exit. Disney is the only place I go with a small backpack IF DD9 wants to have an autograph book.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom