Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

montyz81

Original Poster

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Am I missing something? The plane in it's current location is wearing it's original livery. When Backlot was destroyed, it was blue. As the article says, it has been painted since then. Am I confused or missing some point? Why would they repaint it and then put it in a sandlot?

Looks like it's still a work in progress. The stripe on the one side doesn't go all the way to the back.

1517323233078.png

trainplane3

From the BlogMickey article:
The aircraft still has a valid registry with the FAA through August 2020.

Kind of odd they'd keep it registered. Might be one of those "easier to keep it registered then to lose it and re-register if we need to" situations. It's neat to see the original, although very generic business-esque, paint job back again.

Monorail Mike

From the photos, it's located at the water treatment plant off Bear Island Rd @ Western Way. That would certainly keep it out of view of guests and most CMs too.

dgp602

I thought that was just glare. @marni1971 or any other insider, any insight into plans for the plane. Clearly a paint job means it is being readied for display somewhere.

This is good news!!! Now for our next assignment.....how the heck did they move this think under the cover of darkness without anyone knowing or memorializing it in pictures? I mean, you would have to take the wings off, prep it, load it on a flat bed then drive it over their. And No one shaw this?

Movielover

This is good news!!! Now for our next assignment.....how the heck did they move this think under the cover of darkness without anyone knowing or memorializing it in pictures? I mean, you would have to take the wings off, prep it, load it on a flat bed then drive it over their. And No one shaw this?

1517404511892.png

montyz81

Original Poster
My guess is that it was moved to a building on-sight. It was disassembled and the wings and rear stabilizer all moved separately in a box trailer. The fuselage was moved separately on a flatbed undercover. Then it was reassembled in it's current location after a visit to the paint booth. I suspect that if there is more paint to be done, it will make one more trip before being put on display. If I am right, then the disassembly and reassembly means it will stay in Florida. Why would they have reassembled it otherwise... again, if I am right about the move.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am sure people saw it but to get pictures you would need people who 1. saw it when it was on the road and not backstage, 2. knew what it was and that it was worthy of a picture, and 3. be the type of person who would then post it on the internet. If it was done at night it's note really surprising that no one for a picture since it would have only been on the roads for a couple minutes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My guess is that it was moved to a building on-sight. It was disassembled and the wings and rear stabilizer all moved separately in a box trailer. The fuselage was moved separately on a flatbed undercover. Then it was reassembled in it's current location after a visit to the paint booth. I suspect that if there is more paint to be done, it will make one more trip before being put on display. If I am right, then the disassembly and reassembly means it will stay in Florida. Why would they have reassembled it otherwise... again, if I am right about the move.

It looks like the painting is not complete, so it appears they are painting it right there is the field which is odd. I also don't know why they would put the wings back on because if they are going to move it somewhere else they would just have to take them off again.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
It looks like the painting is not complete, so it appears they are painting it right there is the field which is odd. I also don't know why they would put the wings back on because if they are going to move it somewhere else they would just have to take them off again.

If they shut down roads, could there be any chance they moved it without removing the wings?

montyz81

Original Poster
That is a long way between those two points. That trip includes travel on two pretty major roads in Buena Vista way and Western way as well as a trip over World Drive. Lots of people roaming around those parts makes me think someone would have had to catch it. That being said, it was night and the odds do reduce significantly. But, this is what makes me think the plan was pretty well hidden on it's trip. Heck, we haven't seen the theater cars from UoE and we got to assume that they have been removed at this point given some of the pictures of the internal demolition. So, it is possible, but I am still going with they were hidden from view on their trip.

TJJohn12

If they shut down roads, could there be any chance they moved it without removing the wings?

Looking at the route, they likely could have moved it directly up World Drive to Floridian Way without too much hassle (avoiding a couple underpasses by going up and over the exits). The lampposts are far enough the right of way. Do it at 3am, I can see it not taking too much effort.

It landed on World Drive when it arrived, so we know there was clearance on a pretty good length then.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That is a long way between those two points. That trip includes travel on two pretty major roads in Buena Vista way and Western way as well as a trip over World Drive. Lots of people roaming around those parts makes me think someone would have had to catch it. That being said, it was night and the odds do reduce significantly. But, this is what makes me think the plan was pretty well hidden on it's trip. Heck, we haven't seen the theater cars from UoE and we got to assume that they have been removed at this point given some of the pictures of the internal demolition. So, it is possible, but I am still going with they were hidden from view on their trip.

But as I said in my other post, it's not just a matter of someone seeing, but someone would have made the picture public once they did.

s8film40

From the BlogMickey article:
The aircraft still has a valid registry with the FAA through August 2020.

Kind of odd they'd keep it registered. Might be one of those "easier to keep it registered then to lose it and re-register if we need to" situations. It's neat to see the original, although very generic business-esque, paint job back again.
The registration from what I remember was kind of significant. They got the MM at the end for Mickey Mouse. Or perhaps it was a happy accident, in any case maybe that's why they keep it registered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom