Where is Walt's plane? UPDATE - Coming to D23 2022

montyz81

Original Poster
To be honest, I don't see why they can't do what what Universal did with the Hemisphere Dancer. It makes perfect sense now with the Hanger Bar in Disney Springs. Walt's plane would be perfect somewhere in the vicinity.

Last edited:

meyeet

What exactly is the purpose of the barriers? To protect it from wild gators?
Nah gators could easily jump those barriers. The barriers prevent a vehicle from accidently hitting the plane. So if a driver is backing up a vehicle and can't see the plane, the barrier will be the first point of contact which would hopefully alert the driver that something is wrong.

montyz81

Original Poster
Good to see that they put barriers around it which indicates that they have some concern for it's condition.
One would imply from the barriers around it that they have positive plans for the plane. Maybe it will show back up in the studios as a prop again. Maybe there is budget in the overall redevelopment of the now defunct Hollywood Studios to fix and redisplay the plane in some location where park guests walk everyday... Just maybe!!!!

FoozieBear

Spotted: Walt Disney’s Plane, formerly of Disney’s Hollywood Studios backlot tour

Uhh... why people care? Wasn't this just a plane Walt used while in Florida? Did he build it himself? Did he come up with the idea for Bambi while flying it? Was it's importance inflated by Back Lot Tour Guides, "And here's Walt's plane!"?

And where are Walt's shoes for that matter?

Can't tell if you are sarcastic, but its a neat piece of Disney history. One of the main single properties with a major role in the shaping of Walt Disney World.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can't tell if you are sarcastic, but its a neat piece of Disney history. One of the main single properties with a major role in the shaping of Walt Disney World.

My point is: what history? When Walt was in Florida, he used that plane to get around. It wasn't his personal, cherished prize possession, was it? He also got around in a car, so, where's the concern for "Walt's car"?

Goofyernmost

My point is: what history? When Walt was in Florida, he used that plane to get around. It wasn't his personal, cherished prize possession, was it? He also got around in a car, so, where's the concern for "Walt's car"?
Well, according to the legend, Walt used that plane to survey the area in Central Florida as he looked for a place to build his city. It is historic in the sense that it is "his" plane. I'm sure he used a number of vehicles after they landed so not one can be singled out as unique or connected directly to W.E.D. I enjoyed seeing it when it was there in DHS and always was able to picture the man, eyebrows flapping up and down, looking down below on the property he had managed to spot and obtain for what we now know as WDW. Private Airplanes are not all that common and this one is of significant emotional connection for the fans of WDW and the memory of Mr. Disney himself. It is worth saving just to keep the memory alive. I wish they would restore it to what the interior was when it was in active service and then find a way for us to be able to look inside and imagine what it would have been like to be there.

FoozieBear

There is not a single item that I think could be more significant to display at Walt Disney World than the very vehicle that played the most significant role in its creation. Marty Sklar said about the plane in his book, Dream It, Do It (Disney Editions, 2009) "If only that aircraft could could talk--the stories it would tell". There's no denying this vehicle was one of legends, and is perhaps the single biggest contributor to the very land the guests stand upon. It had a great home in the Backlot, and I'm so thrilled millions of guests were able to see this piece of Disney history each day. My hope is that they find a good home for it soon so that the legacy can continue to be displayed.

FrankLapidus

Disney history, or, more specifically, the history of Walt Disney World. The plane doesn't have to be a cherished possession; by virtue of it being the plane on which Walt Disney scouted the land he needed to realise his ambitions for WDW, it is of great significance in the history of the company and the property itself.

dgp602

So here's this picture from the article:
disney-plane-andrew-barton-good-2.jpg

Now on Google Maps, I found this:
View attachment 258496
Look at the trees, powerlines running across it, and the gravel "road".
Now in 2D view with the latest images:
View attachment 258497
Turns more brown, gravel "road" is still there.
And lastly, the exact location:
kKPHwOE.jpg

Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Also, I suppose this would be considered "backstage". So please don't be an idiot and go running around back there. We know the plane is there, it's "safe", it could return eventually. That's all.

AND it is posts and research like THIS that make WDWmagic the single best Disney discussion boards on the planet!!!!! Well done sir!!!

jt04

Disney history, or, more specifically, the history of Walt Disney World. The plane doesn't have to be a cherished possession; by virtue of it being the plane on which Walt Disney scouted the land he needed to realise his ambitions for WDW, it is of great significance in the history of the company and the property itself.

It truly is an historical item and should be saved. There are many locations where it could be moved to for preservation and enjoyment of the public. Any cost to Disney would be more than worth it.

Goofyernmost

It truly is an historical item and should be saved. There are many locations where it could be moved to for preservation and enjoyment of the public. Any cost to Disney would be more than worth it.
The fact of the matter is that it would, at this point, be the single most historic, Walt Disney related, publicly popular prop (no pun intended) that Disney could possibly have. They have gold right there and they don't seem to be aware of it. I wonder if they would sell it. I'd be interested.

Last edited:

jt04

The fact of the matter is that it would, at this point, be the single most historic, Walt Disney related, publicly popular prop (not pun intended) that Disney could possibly have. They have gold right there and they don't seem to be aware of it. I wonder if they would sell it. I'd be interested.

Orange County Regional History Museum, Orlando International Airport, Orange County Civic Center and many other possibilities. It is marketing gold but also very important in the development of central Florida. Perhaps they understand this.

raymusiccity

To be honest, I don't see why they can't do to this, what has been done to the Hemisphere Dancer. Especially now with the Hanger bar, this plane would be perfect somewhere in the vicinity.

It looks like we're headed in the right direction. The Hanger Bar location would be similar to the Jimmy Buffet vintage plane on display at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom