News Magical Express to pickup 4 hours before flight departure time due to new security measures

raymusiccity

True, that would probably work - but they do care, very much. Because when people miss their flights, they blame Disney, and expect Disney to put them up for another night, pay any fees, etc.

Easy to fend that off. Hard for a guest to complain if they lied about what flight they were trying to catch. 'Oh what a tangled web you weave...!"

AEfx

Easy to fend that off. Hard for a guest to complain if they lied about what flight they were trying to catch. 'Oh what a tangled web you weave...!"

I was referring to in general why Disney cares if you make your flight or not, and why they want you there extra early. Sorry if I muddled that there.

mgf

Just flew out on Saturday. I actually thought the situation was far better than it has been previously. That might be because we got the aforementioned "express" (?) processing. They had a dog working the lines, and if the dog did not slow down then you could stuff everything in your bags, leave your laptops in, and keep shoes and belts on.

I fly a lot, and honestly was having a hard time believing the instructions. It was so... easy.

We made it through with inexperienced travelers and a kid in our party in less than 30 minutes. The only sticking point was that they would not clear a bottle of milk without physically seeing the child it belonged to, so I had to go chase them down and bring them back to security.

The people mover is a different story....

Andrew M

We flew back Friday. I had a 8pm flight and they told us our bus was picking us up at 3:40. We opted to just stay in the parks longer and take a cab back. So we hung around the Magic Kingdom til around 5 or so and then left. The Security line moved pretty quickly actually, made it through in about 15 minutes, so not a whole lot of waiting.

So we got to ride Haunted Mansion and Pirates and stop by the ice cream parlor on Main Street instead of sitting around a terminal for 2+ hours, all for about $40 thanks to Uber.

Magical Dreamer

Went through this on Sunday....ugh!!!

They had me on a 5:35am pick up for my 9:30am flight.

Sitting at the gate waiting for my 9:30am flight at 6:45am exhausted.....Ridiculous.

Next time I'll schedule my own PU time based off another flight schedule.

jaimystery

We came back on Saturday - we spent 45 minutes waiting to get through security around 5:30 pm. It was a total madhouse, they ran out of bins and were telling people to just put their items on the belts but stuff didn't move as easily.

The worst part was the poor organization of the lines -- they needed longer ropes/poles. People were sort of just mushed together and there were lots of people using the chaos to line jump.

Princess Leia

When the flights are so early, I don’t think Disney needs to pick people up 4 hours early. My flight left at 8:30 AM, and my bus left Pop Century at 4:38 AM. I got thru security around 5:30, give or take a few minutes, and then sat for 2 hours before the boarding process began. I talked to someone at my gate who arrived around the same time, and we agreed that there was no reason for us to be there that early.

Now I’m sure it’s crazier at later hours, but not hours before dawn.

JoeCamel

When the flights are so early, I don’t think Disney needs to pick people up 4 hours early. My flight left at 8:30 AM, and my bus left Pop Century at 4:38 AM. I got thru security around 5:30, give or take a few minutes, and then sat for 2 hours before the boarding process began. I talked to someone at my gate who arrived around the same time, and we agreed that there was no reason for us to be there that early.

Now I’m sure it’s crazier at later hours, but not hours before dawn.
Well you could have had mimosa's and omelettes for something to do.......

We flew back Friday. I had a 8pm flight and they told us our bus was picking us up at 3:40. We opted to just stay in the parks longer and take a cab back. So we hung around the Magic Kingdom til around 5 or so and then left. The Security line moved pretty quickly actually, made it through in about 15 minutes, so not a whole lot of waiting.

So we got to ride Haunted Mansion and Pirates and stop by the ice cream parlor on Main Street instead of sitting around a terminal for 2+ hours, all for about $40 thanks to Uber.

Very interesting... I will be in almost the exact same boat in February. Leaving Wednesday night on a 7:25 flight, so i'm guessing they will want me there for pick up at around 3:00 (yikes). We're planning on doing HS that day, so while we probably could do everything we want in HS in plenty of time to make that bus I like the idea of spending extra time in Disney rather than a terminal!

My only dilemma is there are 5 of us (3 adults, 2 kids) and I'm not entirely sure an Uber XL can fit all of us AND our luggage (my mother in law packs a ton). Also a little nervous about availability & timing since I've never used Uber in Orlando... but your story is giving me a little more confidence.

Decisions, decisions... last year was much simpler, we were in a similar scenario but the bus didn't pick us up until 4:40 so we just rolled with the Magical Express.

crxbrett

Having travelled both MCO and LAX many times, MCO is definitely worse with TSA.

Without a single doubt. My most recent trip to Orlando had me in in the TSA line at LAX for maybe 10 minutes if that. Flying back to LA out of MCO took well over 30 minutes! SLOW as mo-lass-es! It's a lot less organized at MCO, too.

mouse_luv

Without a single doubt. My most recent trip to Orlando had me in in the TSA line at LAX for maybe 10 minutes if that. Flying back to LA out of MCO took well over 30 minutes! SLOW as mo-lass-es! It's a lot less organized at MCO, too.
That and it never fails that once I get to my final destination from MCO that my checked bag always has a "we did an extra search of your bag" just for the hell of it note from TSA. No where else do I have that issue. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom