News Disney to pilot registered nurse first-aid centers at Walt Disney World Resort hotels

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
WDW clearly has counted the numbers going off-site to InstaCare clinics and Urgent Care Centers, and said to themselves, "Selves, we're leaving money on the table here..."

Of course, this added revenue stream may cloud the issue on incidents such as food poisoning, guests injured by CM negligence, etc...

NelleBelle

WDW clearly has counted the numbers going off-site to InstaCare clinics and Urgent Care Centers, and said to themselves, "Selves, we're leaving money on the table here..."
But by employing an RN, they are limiting treatment and people are going to have to go offsite to an urgent care clinic anyway, unless it's something very very basic. Unless you are a nurse practitioner, a RN can't write prescriptions. And like the case of my DS, we were referred to an urgent care to see a MD. I do think on the whole having an RN onsite is a lot better than having to trek all the way to the parks to seek basic medical treatment. But if it's trying t keep $$ from walking down to the nearest minute clinic/urgent care then they need a more advanced degree that can write prescriptions and take basic x-rays.

I am Timmy

When we were there in Dec., we all got some sort of cold, but my my ds (22) got the worst of it. We were at All Star Music in a family suite, we called the front desk at about 6:45am (Dec. 18th), they called a Centra Care van ( they were so wonderful!) to come and get us (for him). We got there about 7:45am and there were already three people ahead of us, but they seemed to be locals. However, after we got there, families were literally streaming in from various resorts at DW - something was going around. We didn't get out of there until about 11:00am, and the place was standing room only. I would like to believe that maybe a nurse onsite might be able to save some of these families from that kind of experience, so I for one am very happy about this!

DisneyDreamer08

I too hope this expands to a Minute Clinic type offering. On our last trip in 2016, my one year old was up screaming crying every night. We knew she was teething and were worried she might have an ear infection. With no rental car, our options were limited. We actually went to the first aid station in DHS but were told they didn't have the tools to check her ears. She told us all they do is hand out bandaids. We ended up taking the van to Centra Care, which I highly recommend for others in similar situations as they were wonderful, but having something similar on property would have been great.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But by employing an RN, they are limiting treatment and people are going to have to go offsite to an urgent care clinic anyway, unless it's something very very basic. Unless you are a nurse practitioner, a RN can't write prescriptions. And like the case of my DS, we were referred to an urgent care to see a MD. I do think on the whole having an RN onsite is a lot better than having to trek all the way to the parks to seek basic medical treatment. But if it's trying t keep $$ from walking down to the nearest minute clinic/urgent care then they need a more advanced degree that can write prescriptions and take basic x-rays.
The RN can triage the serious issues from the sunburns and boo-boos, though... and can recommend the OTC stuff in the Resort gift shop.

Bartledvd

I think it is a good idea instead of someone’s loved one not wanting to make a fuss feeling unwell traveling to a clinic spoiling there plans. Stopping by the nurse as it is convenient might just save a life and save a tragic event from being publicised with disneys name in the title, Happens so often that people will put of a seeking medical help as they think its nothing to worry about or will be fine in few hours.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where would they probably get pallets of OFF! free?

SC Johnson...Monsanto...whoever makes that crap.

It would be a small expenditure by a corporation to have exposure at WDW...where they don't like Po People anyway...

But the point is the same: disney paying for a minor line item as opposed to employee costs seem lower investment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For those of you watching at home, this is called "moving the goalposts."

No...it's false equivalency...to compare a PR thing like the Zika craze to employee costs...

...I'm guessing you've never been in an accounting capacity with disney?

...but we'll see what happens...I could easily see the pilot program end without much fuss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom