Pre-Trip First Post, First Pre-Trip Report and First Full Family Trip!

Hi Everyone!

So, I have stalked the forums for several years but felt so overwhelmed by everyone's great trip reports that I never took it upon myself to post anything. We are planning a week and a half long trip and I am a super planner, so if nothing else, I'm posting this so I don't forget all the details of our trip! I plan on making photo books when we return for my kiddos as well.

Bear with me as I try to write up my first pre-trip and trip reports! Thank you =)

The Family:
Missy - Me
This will be my 4th trip to the World. I never went as a kid and never even was interested in going. However, we decided to take my Princess obsessed DD Rey when she was about to turn 5 and as soon as I stepped into the Magic Kingdom, I was hooked!

RS - DH
This will be DH's 4th trip as well. Although he enjoys his time in the World, he isn't a Disney fanatic like I am, and so he will only be with us for the first half of the trip.

Rey - DD10
This will be DD's 2nd trip. Her first trip was before New Fantasyland was open so Magic Kingdom is going to be so different for her. On the flipside, all the major attractions at Hollywood Studios were still around, so I've warned her it might be a bit sad to see the state of the park now before Toy Storyland and Star Wars Land open! She has long since grown out of the Princess stage, but still wants to interact with as many characters as she can. She has a severe Peanut/Tree Nut allergy, so we love that Disney provides so many options for food and entertainment that she can enjoy without frustration! She is looking forward to Jedi Training since she has never done that.

Belle - DD7
This is DD's 2nd trip as well, although hers was more recently and she remembers most of the trip. Her very favorite rides are 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and Star Tours (I think we rode ST 7 times in one day!). She is looking forward to riding Space Mountain, Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster since she skipped those on our last trip.

Buzz - DS2
This will be DS' first trip to WDW. He turns 3 in February, so we wanted to sneak in a trip while he was still free, haha! He was clueless about what this trip meant, so we started showing him videos from our previous trips and he is so excited to meet the REAL Buzz, Mickey Mouse and Princesses. He keeps asking to see "Princess Ali" - I have no idea which princess he is talking about, but he giggles and says he wants to give the Princesses hugs, so I don't think it's going to matter which Princess he sees!

When are we going?
We arrive on Jan 17th. The boys will leave on Jan 21st, but us girls will be sticking around until the 26th.

Planning
We went to WDW twice in 2016, so we really had no intention of returning until DS was 4 or 5. However, that's when we are planning an overseas trip and we knew there was no way we could afford both trips in the same year. In fact, the overseas trip will probably cost us enough that we wouldn't be able to make it back to WDW for a couple of years after. By then, DS could be 7 or 8 and the magic of those early years would probably be lost for him. The girls are getting older and we had never done a trip with all of us together. In May of 2017, I was helping my cousin plan an October trip for her and her family when I got the idea that we should try to go in 2018. DH and I talked and at first, DH wasn't really on board, but then as I helped a few others plan their trips and the girls started asking if they could go back, he started to cave. We decided that instead of Christmas presents, this year we would surprise them all with a little trip to Disney! Then, the trip kind of took on a life of it's own.

First, we were going to do 3 park days. Then, we decided we wanted to do at least one day for each park. Then we thought that wouldn't be enough for Epcot and MK, so we needed 6 days. Then we decided we wanted more free time and not be hurried every day to get through everything we wanted to see/do, so we needed at least 2 days for every park. Long story short - our 3 day trip turned into 9!

But, before I could book it, DH was like "okay, slow down. I don't want to take that much vacation time, and especially with a 2 year old." So, we were going to scale back the plans, much to my disappointment. I had a lot of grandiose ideas and they just weren't going to come to fruition in a shorter trip. I thought maybe my parents or DH's parents might want to join us so we could kill two birds with one stone and let them take breaks with the little guy while we took the girls on the bigger rides. Neither set of parents care one iota about going to WDW and, in fact, they looked annoyed that we even thought they might like it - back to square one =(

Finally, my husband decided he would leave early with the little guy and head home while the girls and I ride and explore to our hearts content. I was a little bummed at first, because I really wanted us to have a big vacation all together. We went to Colorado last summer and hiked through the mountains, went exploring in little towns, walked miles and miles in museums and historical sites - and had a GREAT time. But, if DH doesn't like to do something, he will get grumpy (he has a Grumpy t-shirt that he likes to wear which suits him perfectly, haha!) and then he is no fun. It's probably just as well for him and DS to head home before they get too worn out!

Where to Stay?
We have always stayed at POP. We wanted to avoid the All Star hotels, simply because I knew too many people who complained about them. However, we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a moderate or deluxe resort because I had no intention of spending much time in my room anyway. So, we settled on POP and we haven't had a bad experience since then.

This time though, we decided to branch out and try something different and we are staying at AoA. Honestly, the rooms are exactly the same size and layout, but mostly, I was thinking of the themes and pools for the little guy since he knows all the movies portrayed onsite there. Plus, if DH wants to take a break and head over to the pool with DS, the Big Blue Pool looked like fun. Hopefully it isn't crazy loud like some people have complained about, although both DS and DH can sleep through pretty much anything (actually, so can both DDs - I'm the only light sleeper!).

Where to Eat?
I started making lists of ADRs I wanted. I couldn't ask the girls, since we were planning to surprise them at Christmas with the trip, so I had to ask them indirectly. I tried asking them for suggestions on ADRs for other people we knew that were going and got their must dos. I also had a few I really wanted to try.

Here was the list from the girls:
  • CRT
  • BOG
  • Garden Grill
  • Sci - Fi Dine In
  • 50's Prime Time
  • Akershus
The list from DH:
  • Akershus (breakfast)
  • Tony's (tradition - we ALWAYS eat there our first night)
  • Anywhere other than CRT, haha
My list:
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • Yak & Yeti
  • Rose & Crown
  • The Plaza
The result is this:
Jan 17th - Tony's @ MK for dinner
Jan 18th - Tusker House @ AK for brunch (with FP for ROL), Rainforest Cafe for dinner
Jan 19th - The Plaza @ MK for lunch, Crystal Palace for dinner
Jan 20th - Akershus @ EPCOT for breakfast, Garden Grill for lunch, San Angel Inn for dinner
Jan 21st - Rose & Crown @ EPCOT for lunch, 1900 Park Fare for dinner
Jan 22nd - Sci Fi @ HS for lunch, Hollywood & Vine for dinner (not a big fan, but wanted the seats for Fantasmic!)
Jan 23rd - Yak & Yeti @ AK for lunch, Spirit of Aloha @ Polynesian for dinner
Jan 24th - 50's Prime Time @ HS for lunch, Mama Melrose for dinner
Jan 25th - 1900 Park Fare for Breakfast, CRT @ MK for lunch, BOG for dinner
Jan 26th - Bon Voyage Breakfast (Trattoria al Forno)

What Fastpasses Do I Get?

The hardest thing was figuring out which fastpasses to get. With big age ranges and an odd number of people, I wanted to make sure everyone got to do things they enjoyed. I spent months trying to figure out the perfect plan, but I will spare you the back and forth changes that led up to the last hour before the window came open! Here is what I settled on:

Jan 17th - We don't arrive in Orlando until about 1:30pm, so we don't plan to be in the park until around 4ish. We also will have been up since about 3am, so we don't plan to make it a long night. We will head over to MK for our FPs for Buzz and Winnie the Pooh for all of us, and then after dinner, DH will take DS back to the hotel for a bath and settle down while the girls and I ride our last FP for 7 Dwarfs.

Jan 18th - We plan to spend all day at AK and we got FPs for Kilimanjaro, the Na'vi River for all of us and then Everest for DH and the girls while I take DS on a spin on the Triceratops. We have a super early morning the next day, so we will call it a night early on this day as well.

Jan 19th - We plan to rope drop MK and do as many rides as we can before lunch. We got FPs for Haunted Mansion and Pirates for after lunch and then a late afternoon FP for 7 Dwarfs for DH and the girls while I use an FP for Peter Pan with DS.

Jan 20th - We will be at Epcot early for breakfast at 8am, so we hope to eat and head to FEA right afterwards. We have FPs for Test Track for DH and the girls after that while DS and I can use an FP on FEA to ride again. Since our main focus is riding everything together if we can, our other two FPs are for Journey into Imagination and Living w/ the Land.

Jan 21st - Heading back to Epcot. Since the boys leave this morning, us girls plan to rope drop Test Track and then use our FPs for Soarin' and Mission Space. Didn't really have many good choices for a third one, so we decided we might want to take a break and check out the Disney/Pixar Short film festival for our 3rd FP. All of our FPs are early in the day so we can focus on the WS the rest of the day.

Jan 22nd - Our first day at HS. FPs for Toy Story, ToT and Star Tours. I'm guessing we will be riding Star Tours as many times as possible since DD Belle is obsessed with that ride. She was dressed as Princess Leia last time and was the "spy". She really believed Darth Vader could see her and thought she was Princess Leia, LOL. When Carrie Fisher passed, I swear you'd have thought DD was her child and lost her mother - she cried so much! We had to see Last Jedi 3 times just so she could see her on the screen...

Jan 23rd - Last day at AK - we want to rope drop it and see if we can't get on FoP with less than a 30 minute wait. If not, we have FPs for later that day, but I figured we might want to ride it more than once, and I know I will be in no mood to wait in a 2-3 hour line! We also got FPs for Everest and Primeval Whirl. I hate PW, but the girls love rides like that.

Jan 24th - Last day at HS - we don't plan to be here all day, but that will depend on when Jedi training gets scheduled. We have FPs for Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, ToT and, of course, Star Tours.

Jan 25th - Our last day at MK and our last day in the parks! We got FPs for Space Mountain and 7 Dwarfs. We used our third FP for meeting Cinderella and Elena, only because I really don't want to spend any time waiting for characters! By this point, I am assuming we will have ridden - multiple times - on all the rides we wanted, so FPs aren't going to matter that much. We plan to take it slow and enjoy our last moments!

Extras!
This past year I have helped several people plan their Disney trips - got up before the sun to make FPs, helped them book character meals, created touring plans and was even "on-call" for many of them while they were at the parks. Therefore, a lot of them gifted me Disney gift cards to say thank you. If I hadn't already booked and paid for our trip, I would have used them towards the cost of that. But, I had already paid for everything when I started collecting these gift cards. We had thought we would use them on souvenirs, but my kids don't really need a bunch of junk and I don't want to haul a bunch of stuff home. So, instead, we put them towards experiences we wouldn't have otherwise paid for.

Both DDs have peanut/tree nut allergies, although my oldest is extremely severe, my younger DD's is not as much. However, the dessert parties have never appealed to us, since it seems the offerings vary greatly - I've seen some get awesome dessert plates just for them and I've seen others who were given a bag/box of a couple of prepackaged items that were meant more for gluten free guests and thus half the items were not safe for peanut/tree nut allergies. That's never been worth it to me. However, my DH LOATHES the crowds at the fireworks shows and would rather skip them to avoid the other people. So, I suggested we use some of the gift cards for the HEA dessert party Garden Plaza Viewing, pack up some of our own desserts, just in case, and have a nice area to enjoy the show without 5000 others up in your face. He was sold! We will see how the desserts pan out, but I have already warned the girls they might just have to eat what we bring.

Another thing we used the gift cards for was for the After Hours on the 19th. Honestly, I don't know if we will end up doing it or if we do, if we will stay the whole time. We have a few really packed days back to back and we might just be too tired to do it! I only got passes for the girls and I, since my DH had no interest in it. If we decide not to do it, I might just see if there is a way to gift them to someone else in the park that night.

We thought about doing some of the other tours or something after the boys leave since we still have $$ on the cards, but since my younger DD is only 7, we are limited in which ones we can do. I guess we will see.

Thanks for reading!

Up Next... Surprising the kids and other stuff!

PixieDust900

Original Poster
Surprising the Kids
So, we surprised both DDs for their first trips to Disney and it didn't go well. It wasn't bad, but just not the magic moment kind of surprise I thought we might get. DD Rey has always been super serious and analyzes EVERYTHING, so I should have known her reaction would be less than ideal. In order to get her to go to bed early the night before, I told her we had to get up really early in the morning to run errands before school. It worked, and she was in bed and asleep by 6:30! I woke her up at 3:30am, got her dressed and made her breakfast. She suspected nothing. While she was eating, I brought out a brand new Princess suitcase that I had packed with her clothes for the trip. She asked me what it was for. I told her "Well, we aren't going to run errands today. We are going to Disney World!" She looks at me, dead serious and says "Well, that makes no sense - who is going to run our errands then?" She proceeds to eat her cereal as if it was just any other day. I started laughing and said "I just told you that so you would go to bed early! We are going on an airplane and going to Disney World right now!" Again, she frowns, looks at me and says "Well, anyway, I have school, so I can't go." Mind you, she was in preschool. It was not until we walked into Magic Kingdom and we happened upon the 3pm parade (I think it was Celebrate... something, I can't remember now!) before she broke into a smile and decided this was going to be fun!

DD Belle was slightly better, except, apparently, her sister had ruined it for her the night before, so she already knew and she was just like "I knew it!" and acted bored about the announcement. Then we got to the airport and she was bouncing off the walls with excitement.

So... I knew I was taking a risk for trying to surprise them again. Most likely, they were not going to have the big magical moment of tears and shouting that you see videos of online. They have also watched a bunch of those videos where people do a scavenger hunt or puzzles or whatever, so I knew if I did that, they would know immediately what their surprise was going to be. So, instead, I bought a Christmas box and put inside some handmade things I made for them for the trip. A countdown for the wall, autograph books and money holders for change for the penny presses. I added the MagicBands when they arrived. Then I wrapped up the box. Then I put it in another box and wrapped it. Then I put it in another box and wrapped that. For some reason, my kids LOVE it when people wrap things over and over, so I knew they would love that - no matter what the actual gift was. We don't really buy lots of gifts for any holiday. We usually get them one thing they really wanted or get them things they need and instead spend the money taking little trips for their birthdays and bigger trips for Christmas or a combo of holidays. Because of that, it was easy to not have a lot of gifts because they didn't really expect much (although I wrapped up things like boxes of ponchos and baby wipes and extra socks and glow sticks and the luggage tags - they found this all hilarious!).

When they unwrapped it all, they mostly just laughed about the boxes and more boxes. All three of them were hysterical with laughter as they kept unwrapping. They just knew it was probably something like a pack of stickers or a book or a movie. When they finally opened the Christmas box, the first thing they saw was the autograph books I had made. DD Rey's was Star Wars themed, DD Belle's was Mickey and Minnie with fireworks and DS Buzz's was the Fab Five. They were actually so excited over these books, they didn't even read the note saying they were going to Disney or anything. I kept telling them to read the note, but instead they found the box with the MagicBands. DD Rey was really confused and was like "wait, these are MagicBands, why are they here?" Then DD Belle finally read the note. They both just sat there looking at each other while DS continued to dump out the rest of the contents of the box, haha. Then they started in with 1000 questions. There was no jumping up and down and screaming, but they did keep telling us thank you over and over, so I knew they were happy. Since then, they have been getting so excited and every detail I give them they say things like "this is going to be the best" or "I can't believe we are going back!", so I know they are super excited - just not a You Tube worthy version of excited, LOL!

I did leave some of the planning for after they found out so that they could give some input. I also created "Missions" each day for things we have never done before or things on our Disney Bucket List. I think they liked this part the best. We have only gone to the Contemporary for meal at Chef Mickey's, but other than that, we have never ventured to any of the other resorts before, so they were super excited to hear we would be going to a few of those. We have never even ridden the monorail before - can you believe it?

I'm kind of relieved they know now. Trying to keep it a secret for over 6 months was HARD!!!

Up Next... Our plans for each day!

PixieDust900

Original Poster
Our Plans

Day 1 - Our flight leaves at 6:30am, so it will be an early morning for us! We arrive in Orlando around 1:30pm. We plan to be at MK around 3:30-4:30pm. Our list of things we would like to do that first day are:
  • Meet Mickey
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Peoplemover
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Dinner at Tony's
  • Dumbo
  • Barnstormer
  • Meet Goofy & Donald
  • 7 Dwarfs
Park is open until 10pm, but I don't know if the girls and I will last that long. We plan to skip the fireworks this first night so that we can either get in a few more rides or head back to the hotel for an early bedtime and avoid the crowds to the buses.

Day 2 - We will probably grab some fruit or something to eat on our way to AK. Not much though, since we have ADRs for Tusker House. We don't have to be there at rope drop, since we aren't doing FoP this day and we have FPs for the safari first thing anyway. Our list of things for this day are:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Gorilla Falls Trail
  • Brunch at Tusker House
  • Na'vi River
  • Walk around Pandora
  • Walk around the Oasis
  • Take a break at the Boneyard
  • Triceratop Spin
  • Watch Nemo Musical
  • Maharajah Trek - hoping to see baby cubs!
  • Wildlife Express Train/Rafiki's Planet Watch
  • Dinner at Rainforest Cafe
  • Rivers of Light
  • Expedition Everest
The girls are also hoping to meet Russell and Dug and Pocohantas if we happen across them.

Day 3 - Rope Drop MK. I'm hoping the early night at AK the night before lets us get enough rest in for this day!
  • Peter Pan
  • Small World
  • Prince Charming Carrousel
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • Under the Sea
  • Speedway
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Monster's Inc.
  • Meet Buzz
  • Lunch at the Plaza
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Magic Carpets
  • Meet Aladdin
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Grab a Dole Whip and watch Festival of Fantasy
  • WDW Railroad
  • Dinner at Crystal Palace
  • Move It Shake It Street Party (both of my DDs love this)
  • Jungle Cruise
  • HEA Garden view Dessert Party
  • Once Upon a Time
  • HEA
  • After Hours... if we can make it!!!
Day 4 - If we make it for After Hours, we might have a brutal morning at EPCOT since we have 8am ADRs at Akershus. DD Rey tells me if we can make it for 3 days in a row of dance competitions (about 18 hours each day) and then still make it to work and school on Monday without dying, we will be fine, haha!
  • Breakfast - Akershus
  • Frozen Ever After
  • Test Track
  • Nemo & Friends
  • The Seas tanks
  • Turtle Talk
  • Journey Into Imagination
  • Living w/ the Land
  • Lunch at Garden Grill
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Innoventions East
  • Mexico Pavilion
    • Gran Fiesta Tour
    • Meet Donald
    • Shopping
    • Mariachi Cobre
  • Norway Pavilion
    • Meet Anna & Elsa
  • Dinner San Angel Inn
  • IllumiNations
That's the end of the first part of our trip. The boys leave the next morning.

Up Next... It's a Girls' Only Trip from Here!

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Our Plans

Day 1 - Our flight leaves at 6:30am, so it will be an early morning for us! We arrive in Orlando around 1:30pm. We plan to be at MK around 3:30-4:30pm. Our list of things we would like to do that first day are:
  • Meet Mickey
  • Buzz Lightyear
  • Peoplemover
  • Mad Tea Party
  • Winnie the Pooh
  • Dinner at Tony's
  • Dumbo
  • Barnstormer
  • Meet Goofy & Donald
  • 7 Dwarfs
Park is open until 10pm, but I don't know if the girls and I will last that long. We plan to skip the fireworks this first night so that we can either get in a few more rides or head back to the hotel for an early bedtime and avoid the crowds to the buses.

Day 2 - We will probably grab some fruit or something to eat on our way to AK. Not much though, since we have ADRs for Tusker House. We don't have to be there at rope drop, since we aren't doing FoP this day and we have FPs for the safari first thing anyway. Our list of things for this day are:
  • Kilimanjaro Safari
  • Gorilla Falls Trail
  • Brunch at Tusker House
  • Na'vi River
  • Walk around Pandora
  • Walk around the Oasis
  • Take a break at the Boneyard
  • Triceratop Spin
  • Watch Nemo Musical
  • Maharajah Trek - hoping to see baby cubs!
  • Wildlife Express Train/Rafiki's Planet Watch
  • Dinner at Rainforest Cafe
  • Rivers of Light
  • Expedition Everest
The girls are also hoping to meet Russell and Dug and Pocohantas if we happen across them.

Day 3 - Rope Drop MK. I'm hoping the early night at AK the night before lets us get enough rest in for this day!
  • Peter Pan
  • Small World
  • Prince Charming Carrousel
  • Mickey's PhilharMagic
  • Under the Sea
  • Speedway
  • Astro Orbiter
  • Monster's Inc.
  • Meet Buzz
  • Lunch at the Plaza
  • Haunted Mansion
  • Magic Carpets
  • Meet Aladdin
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Tom Sawyer Island
  • Grab a Dole Whip and watch Festival of Fantasy
  • WDW Railroad
  • Dinner at Crystal Palace
  • Move It Shake It Street Party (both of my DDs love this)
  • Jungle Cruise
  • HEA Garden view Dessert Party
  • Once Upon a Time
  • HEA
  • After Hours... if we can make it!!!
Day 4 - If we make it for After Hours, we might have a brutal morning at EPCOT since we have 8am ADRs at Akershus. DD Rey tells me if we can make it for 3 days in a row of dance competitions (about 18 hours each day) and then still make it to work and school on Monday without dying, we will be fine, haha!
  • Breakfast - Akershus
  • Frozen Ever After
  • Test Track
  • Nemo & Friends
  • The Seas tanks
  • Turtle Talk
  • Journey Into Imagination
  • Living w/ the Land
  • Lunch at Garden Grill
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Innoventions East
  • Mexico Pavilion
    • Gran Fiesta Tour
    • Meet Donald
    • Shopping
    • Mariachi Cobre
  • Norway Pavilion
    • Meet Anna & Elsa
  • Dinner San Angel Inn
  • IllumiNations
That's the end of the first part of our trip. The boys leave the next morning.

Up Next... It's a Girls' Only Trip from Here!

Wow that's a full schedule! Looks great!

PixieDust900

Original Poster
Girls Trip!

Day 5 - We will be back at Epcot the day the boys leave. Focusing mostly on WS, but we will spend the morning at Future World unless we decide to sleep in.
  • Test Track
  • Soarin'
  • Meet Joy & Sadness
  • Meet Baymax
  • Mission Space Green
  • Mission Space Orange
  • Disney/Pixar Short Films
  • Canada Pavilion
  • UK Pavilion
  • Lunch at Rose & Crown
  • France Pavilion
  • Morocco Pavilion
  • Japan Pavilion
  • American Adventure Pavilion
  • Italy Pavilion
  • Germany Pavilion
  • China Pavilion
  • Club Cool
  • Dinner at 1900 Park Fare
MK is open until midnight. Depending on how we feel (either crazy or exhausted, haha!) we might go back to MK or just go back to AoA and get some sleep.

Day 6 - Our first day at HS. DS Buzz would have LOVED to see both Woody and Buzz, but since it's the only ride for him at HS, we decided we would skip that park while he is there.
  • Rock'n'Rollercoaster
  • Meet Buzz & Woody
  • Toy Story Mania
  • Star Tours
  • Tower of Terror
  • Lunch at Sci Fi
  • Muppet Vision 3D
  • Star Tours (again)
  • Star Wars Launch Bay
  • Beauty & the Beast
  • Meet BB-8
  • Indiana Jones
  • March of the First Order
  • Frozen Singalong
  • Dinner Hollywood & Vine
  • Fantasmic!
  • Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular (if we can make it on time after Fantasmic!)
Day 7 - We plan to rope drop AK in hopes that we can get on FoP first thing. If not, we have a FP for later in the day.
  • Flight of Passage
  • It's Tough to Be a Bug
  • DINOSAUR
  • Everest
  • Primeval Whirl
  • Lunch Yak & Yeti
  • Flight of Passage
  • Explore Pandora
  • Try a dessert or kid's meal at Satu'li Canteen
  • Leave AK and go to either EPCOT, MK, D. Springs or back to the hotel for the rest of the late afternoon
  • Spirit of Aloha dinner/show
Day 8 - We might sleep in this day since our first FP isn't until after 10am and it's our second day at HS. With limited things to do, we only plan to be there for a couple of hours before heading off to do something else.
  • Rock 'n'Rollercoaster
  • Star Tours
  • Tower of Terror
  • Lunch at 50's Prime Time
  • Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away
  • Star Tours (Yes, again!)
  • Leave HS and go to either MK or EPCOT or relax at hotel
  • Come back to HS for dinner at Mama Melrose
  • Hang out at HS for a bit and then either go back to hotel or go to Disney Springs
Day 9 - Last Park day!! We will spend most of the day at MK to cap off our park days.
  • Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare
  • Meet Tinkerbell
  • Space Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Meet Ariel
  • Meet Merida
  • 7 Dwarfs
  • Lunch at CRT
  • Meet Cinderella & Elena
  • Meet Tiana & Rapunzel
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Swiss Family Treehouse
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Muppets Present
  • Dinner BOG
  • Freetime at MK
  • Once Upon a Time
  • HEA
Day 10 - Our flight is not until 3:45pm, so we are having a late breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. I thought it was aptly named "Bon Voyage Breakfast"!

PixieDust900

Original Poster
DD Rey on her first trip to WDW:
407874_10150510760860267_255790944_n.jpg

DD Belle on her first trip to WDW:
12592729_10153328072720267_3725060490004601550_n.jpg

One of my very favorite pics of any of our trips was definitely DD Belle at Jedi Training. She is obsessed with Princess Leia/Carrie Fisher (it was tragic when she found out Carrie had passed away!). She would probably watch Star Wars every day if I let her. Anyway, during Jedi Training, they were handing out the light sabers and then they started talking right before handing her one. I could tell she was getting impatient and she was holding out her hand and trying to interrupt them to get her light saber. I motioned to her to put her hand down, be quiet and just wait for her turn. She put her hands in front of her and made this face. I saw it, but just laughed, as it is a pretty typical face when she is unhappy about something. The Photopass Photographer happened to capture it, so when I looked through the photos later that day, I couldn't help but crack up! Plus, Carrie Fisher often made the same face as well, so it was perfect, haha.
16729208_10154311526945267_8937625821607703498_n.jpg 12572978_10153328787825267_5568659014702801346_n.jpg

Mrhappyplace

Surprising the Kids
DD Rey has always been super serious and analyzes EVERYTHING, so I should have known her reaction would be less than ideal. In order to get her to go to bed early the night before, I told her we had to get up really early in the morning to run errands before school. It worked, and she was in bed and asleep by 6:30! I woke her up at 3:30am, got her dressed and made her breakfast. She suspected nothing. While she was eating, I brought out a brand new Princess suitcase that I had packed with her clothes for the trip. She asked me what it was for. I told her "Well, we aren't going to run errands today. We are going to Disney World!" She looks at me, dead serious and says "Well, that makes no sense - who is going to run our errands then?" She proceeds to eat her cereal as if it was just any other day. I started laughing and said "I just told you that so you would go to bed early! We are going on an airplane and going to Disney World right now!" Again, she frowns, looks at me and says "Well, anyway, I have school, so I can't go." Mind you, she was in preschool. It was not until we walked into Magic Kingdom and we happened upon the 3pm parade (I think it was Celebrate... something, I can't remember now!) before she broke into a smile and decided this was going to be fun!

Great story! Rey sounds like quite a character.

I hope you all have a great trip!

PixieDust900

Original Poster
Great story! Rey sounds like quite a character.

I hope you all have a great trip!

She definitely is! The difference between DD Rey's first trip and DD Belle's is that Rey had a million questions on how the rides worked and what the story of them was. She had to have real discussions with the characters about things she thought didn't make sense in their movies, LOL. Belle just ran from ride to ride and character to character - giggling all the way!

PixieDust900

Original Poster
Asthma, Go Away! & Where the Heck Did I Put Those Shirts??
DD Belle has asthma that is triggered by, well, everything. But, she has been doing really well this fall and going into winter, so we haven't been as diligent at monitoring her. New Year's Eve, the temperature was dropping to -20F with windchills down to -45F. Apparently, it was warmer on Mars. Significant drops or rises in temps is a trigger for her, so we knew we better make sure she takes her meds and does a nebulizer treatment to prevent any attacks. We weren't planning to be outside at all, but we did have to go in and out of the car at my parents'. Within about 5 minutes of arriving at my parents', Belle started coughing. She didn't sound wheezy, so I just made a mental note that she probably would need another treatment in an hour or so. But, we got busy playing games, eating lots of food, watching the NYE shows and lots of goofing around. The next thing we knew, it was 2am and everyone was exhausted. As I got Belle ready for bed, I could hear her wheezing, so we got her treatment out and she did a double dose. DH, DS and I all slept in a bedroom and both DDs slept in the living room. A little after 5am, DH woke up to use the bathroom. He left the bedroom door open and I could hear a rattling, wheezing noise. I got up and walked into the living room to find DD Belle sitting up, tears running down her face, but no sound coming out of her except that horrible rattling/wheezing. I immediately grabbed her nebulizer, put in a double dose of meds and held it to her face and yelled for DH. He came out of the bathroom and after a couple of minutes, DD Belle started shaking her head "no", which meant, it wasn't working for her - she needed oxygen. I knew there was no way we would get her to a hospital without her getting some oxygen, so we had to call 911. This wasn't our first rodeo, so we knew what would happen. The ambulance came, they put her on oxygen, they gave her some steroids and we went to the hospital. After the ride and about 2 hours in the hospital (plus 6 more doses of various forms of steroids and nebulizer treatments), she was able to take off the oxygen, although for only small periods at a time. She was all smiles and the only one who wasn't falling asleep (thank you, steroids). They wanted to admit her, but there were so many cases of influenza, which would be very dangerous for her, so they decided to just keep her in triage for a few more hours, double checking that her heart rate wasn't going crazy and her blood pressure wasn't sky rocketing (as it tends to do when she has this much steroids). Around 11am, she seemed relatively okay, was able to go without oxygen and although she still had some wheezing in one lung, they felt she would be safer going home than being exposed to the viruses in the hospital, so we left. Since then, we have been trying to maintain her asthma and hoping for a warm up in weather. Going from the cold of the midwest to the warm humidity of FL is always a challenge for her and our first day is generally an early morning of meds and treatments. DD Belle is thoroughly convinced that if we moved to FL and lived by Disney that her asthma would go away completely, LOL. I tried to tell her that she doesn't do well in heat and humidity either, so the summers would not be good for her (thus why we only travel with the kiddos in the winter), but she doesn't believe me.

Another debacle over the holidays:

I had t-shirts ordered for our upcoming trip and planned on wrapping them up for Christmas. They got here way earlier than I had anticipated and I didn't even have boxes or wrapping paper for Christmas yet. So, I hid them somewhere I knew no one would find them. Except, when I finally got around to wrapping them, I couldn't find them either. I looked for DAYS. Seriously, I looked everywhere. My husband didn't even know I had ordered them and had not seen them since I was wrapping his up too. But, I had to ruin the "Surprise" because I needed his help in locating them. He pretty much just looked at me like I was crazy...

Anyway, I needed a plastic grocery bag to put a bunch of supplies I was taking to a school event and I went to the pantry to get one. All of a sudden, it dawned on me. I took out all the bags in the basket, and there, at the bottom of the basket, were the shirts! When I chose that place, I knew no one else would ever look there because no one else ever changes the trash bin bags except me (we use grocery bags for our trash bins in the bathrooms) and no one ever helps put away groceries. But, we had SO many bags from lots of extra grocery shopping for the holidays that the basket had gotten so full I couldn't see the shirts at the bottom anymore, LOL. Whew! We have never done matching shirts before and I really wanted to. DH has always thought it was pointless, but now he gets to join in the fun and he's very excited about it ("Oh, you got me one too... You really didn't have to do that."). I think he was secretly hoping I had permanently lost them, hahaha! They came out so cute though! I'll post pics on my TR.

12 DAYS LEFT!!!

ELeigh

Hi Everyone!

So, I have stalked the forums for several years but felt so overwhelmed by everyone's great trip reports that I never took it upon myself to post anything. We are planning a week and a half long trip and I am a super planner, so if nothing else, I'm posting this so I don't forget all the details of our trip! I plan on making photo books when we return for my kiddos as well.

Bear with me as I try to write up my first pre-trip and trip reports! Thank you =)

The Family:
Missy - Me
This will be my 4th trip to the World. I never went as a kid and never even was interested in going. However, we decided to take my Princess obsessed DD Rey when she was about to turn 5 and as soon as I stepped into the Magic Kingdom, I was hooked!

RS - DH
This will be DH's 4th trip as well. Although he enjoys his time in the World, he isn't a Disney fanatic like I am, and so he will only be with us for the first half of the trip.

Rey - DD10
This will be DD's 2nd trip. Her first trip was before New Fantasyland was open so Magic Kingdom is going to be so different for her. On the flipside, all the major attractions at Hollywood Studios were still around, so I've warned her it might be a bit sad to see the state of the park now before Toy Storyland and Star Wars Land open! She has long since grown out of the Princess stage, but still wants to interact with as many characters as she can. She has a severe Peanut/Tree Nut allergy, so we love that Disney provides so many options for food and entertainment that she can enjoy without frustration! She is looking forward to Jedi Training since she has never done that.

Belle - DD7
This is DD's 2nd trip as well, although hers was more recently and she remembers most of the trip. Her very favorite rides are 7 Dwarfs Mine Train and Star Tours (I think we rode ST 7 times in one day!). She is looking forward to riding Space Mountain, Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Rollercoaster since she skipped those on our last trip.

Buzz - DS2
This will be DS' first trip to WDW. He turns 3 in February, so we wanted to sneak in a trip while he was still free, haha! He was clueless about what this trip meant, so we started showing him videos from our previous trips and he is so excited to meet the REAL Buzz, Mickey Mouse and Princesses. He keeps asking to see "Princess Ali" - I have no idea which princess he is talking about, but he giggles and says he wants to give the Princesses hugs, so I don't think it's going to matter which Princess he sees!

When are we going?
We arrive on Jan 17th. The boys will leave on Jan 21st, but us girls will be sticking around until the 26th.

Planning
We went to WDW twice in 2016, so we really had no intention of returning until DS was 4 or 5. However, that's when we are planning an overseas trip and we knew there was no way we could afford both trips in the same year. In fact, the overseas trip will probably cost us enough that we wouldn't be able to make it back to WDW for a couple of years after. By then, DS could be 7 or 8 and the magic of those early years would probably be lost for him. The girls are getting older and we had never done a trip with all of us together. In May of 2017, I was helping my cousin plan an October trip for her and her family when I got the idea that we should try to go in 2018. DH and I talked and at first, DH wasn't really on board, but then as I helped a few others plan their trips and the girls started asking if they could go back, he started to cave. We decided that instead of Christmas presents, this year we would surprise them all with a little trip to Disney! Then, the trip kind of took on a life of it's own.

First, we were going to do 3 park days. Then, we decided we wanted to do at least one day for each park. Then we thought that wouldn't be enough for Epcot and MK, so we needed 6 days. Then we decided we wanted more free time and not be hurried every day to get through everything we wanted to see/do, so we needed at least 2 days for every park. Long story short - our 3 day trip turned into 9!

But, before I could book it, DH was like "okay, slow down. I don't want to take that much vacation time, and especially with a 2 year old." So, we were going to scale back the plans, much to my disappointment. I had a lot of grandiose ideas and they just weren't going to come to fruition in a shorter trip. I thought maybe my parents or DH's parents might want to join us so we could kill two birds with one stone and let them take breaks with the little guy while we took the girls on the bigger rides. Neither set of parents care one iota about going to WDW and, in fact, they looked annoyed that we even thought they might like it - back to square one =(

Finally, my husband decided he would leave early with the little guy and head home while the girls and I ride and explore to our hearts content. I was a little bummed at first, because I really wanted us to have a big vacation all together. We went to Colorado last summer and hiked through the mountains, went exploring in little towns, walked miles and miles in museums and historical sites - and had a GREAT time. But, if DH doesn't like to do something, he will get grumpy (he has a Grumpy t-shirt that he likes to wear which suits him perfectly, haha!) and then he is no fun. It's probably just as well for him and DS to head home before they get too worn out!

Where to Stay?
We have always stayed at POP. We wanted to avoid the All Star hotels, simply because I knew too many people who complained about them. However, we didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for a moderate or deluxe resort because I had no intention of spending much time in my room anyway. So, we settled on POP and we haven't had a bad experience since then.

This time though, we decided to branch out and try something different and we are staying at AoA. Honestly, the rooms are exactly the same size and layout, but mostly, I was thinking of the themes and pools for the little guy since he knows all the movies portrayed onsite there. Plus, if DH wants to take a break and head over to the pool with DS, the Big Blue Pool looked like fun. Hopefully it isn't crazy loud like some people have complained about, although both DS and DH can sleep through pretty much anything (actually, so can both DDs - I'm the only light sleeper!).

Where to Eat?
I started making lists of ADRs I wanted. I couldn't ask the girls, since we were planning to surprise them at Christmas with the trip, so I had to ask them indirectly. I tried asking them for suggestions on ADRs for other people we knew that were going and got their must dos. I also had a few I really wanted to try.

Here was the list from the girls:
  • CRT
  • BOG
  • Garden Grill
  • Sci - Fi Dine In
  • 50's Prime Time
  • Akershus
The list from DH:
  • Akershus (breakfast)
  • Tony's (tradition - we ALWAYS eat there our first night)
  • Anywhere other than CRT, haha
My list:
  • 1900 Park Fare
  • Yak & Yeti
  • Rose & Crown
  • The Plaza
The result is this:
Jan 17th - Tony's @ MK for dinner
Jan 18th - Tusker House @ AK for brunch (with FP for ROL), Rainforest Cafe for dinner
Jan 19th - The Plaza @ MK for lunch, Crystal Palace for dinner
Jan 20th - Akershus @ EPCOT for breakfast, Garden Grill for lunch, San Angel Inn for dinner
Jan 21st - Rose & Crown @ EPCOT for lunch, 1900 Park Fare for dinner
Jan 22nd - Sci Fi @ HS for lunch, Hollywood & Vine for dinner (not a big fan, but wanted the seats for Fantasmic!)
Jan 23rd - Yak & Yeti @ AK for lunch, Spirit of Aloha @ Polynesian for dinner
Jan 24th - 50's Prime Time @ HS for lunch, Mama Melrose for dinner
Jan 25th - 1900 Park Fare for Breakfast, CRT @ MK for lunch, BOG for dinner
Jan 26th - Bon Voyage Breakfast (Trattoria al Forno)

What Fastpasses Do I Get?

The hardest thing was figuring out which fastpasses to get. With big age ranges and an odd number of people, I wanted to make sure everyone got to do things they enjoyed. I spent months trying to figure out the perfect plan, but I will spare you the back and forth changes that led up to the last hour before the window came open! Here is what I settled on:

Jan 17th - We don't arrive in Orlando until about 1:30pm, so we don't plan to be in the park until around 4ish. We also will have been up since about 3am, so we don't plan to make it a long night. We will head over to MK for our FPs for Buzz and Winnie the Pooh for all of us, and then after dinner, DH will take DS back to the hotel for a bath and settle down while the girls and I ride our last FP for 7 Dwarfs.

Jan 18th - We plan to spend all day at AK and we got FPs for Kilimanjaro, the Na'vi River for all of us and then Everest for DH and the girls while I take DS on a spin on the Triceratops. We have a super early morning the next day, so we will call it a night early on this day as well.

Jan 19th - We plan to rope drop MK and do as many rides as we can before lunch. We got FPs for Haunted Mansion and Pirates for after lunch and then a late afternoon FP for 7 Dwarfs for DH and the girls while I use an FP for Peter Pan with DS.

Jan 20th - We will be at Epcot early for breakfast at 8am, so we hope to eat and head to FEA right afterwards. We have FPs for Test Track for DH and the girls after that while DS and I can use an FP on FEA to ride again. Since our main focus is riding everything together if we can, our other two FPs are for Journey into Imagination and Living w/ the Land.

Jan 21st - Heading back to Epcot. Since the boys leave this morning, us girls plan to rope drop Test Track and then use our FPs for Soarin' and Mission Space. Didn't really have many good choices for a third one, so we decided we might want to take a break and check out the Disney/Pixar Short film festival for our 3rd FP. All of our FPs are early in the day so we can focus on the WS the rest of the day.

Jan 22nd - Our first day at HS. FPs for Toy Story, ToT and Star Tours. I'm guessing we will be riding Star Tours as many times as possible since DD Belle is obsessed with that ride. She was dressed as Princess Leia last time and was the "spy". She really believed Darth Vader could see her and thought she was Princess Leia, LOL. When Carrie Fisher passed, I swear you'd have thought DD was her child and lost her mother - she cried so much! We had to see Last Jedi 3 times just so she could see her on the screen...

Jan 23rd - Last day at AK - we want to rope drop it and see if we can't get on FoP with less than a 30 minute wait. If not, we have FPs for later that day, but I figured we might want to ride it more than once, and I know I will be in no mood to wait in a 2-3 hour line! We also got FPs for Everest and Primeval Whirl. I hate PW, but the girls love rides like that.

Jan 24th - Last day at HS - we don't plan to be here all day, but that will depend on when Jedi training gets scheduled. We have FPs for Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, ToT and, of course, Star Tours.

Jan 25th - Our last day at MK and our last day in the parks! We got FPs for Space Mountain and 7 Dwarfs. We used our third FP for meeting Cinderella and Elena, only because I really don't want to spend any time waiting for characters! By this point, I am assuming we will have ridden - multiple times - on all the rides we wanted, so FPs aren't going to matter that much. We plan to take it slow and enjoy our last moments!

Extras!
This past year I have helped several people plan their Disney trips - got up before the sun to make FPs, helped them book character meals, created touring plans and was even "on-call" for many of them while they were at the parks. Therefore, a lot of them gifted me Disney gift cards to say thank you. If I hadn't already booked and paid for our trip, I would have used them towards the cost of that. But, I had already paid for everything when I started collecting these gift cards. We had thought we would use them on souvenirs, but my kids don't really need a bunch of junk and I don't want to haul a bunch of stuff home. So, instead, we put them towards experiences we wouldn't have otherwise paid for.

Both DDs have peanut/tree nut allergies, although my oldest is extremely severe, my younger DD's is not as much. However, the dessert parties have never appealed to us, since it seems the offerings vary greatly - I've seen some get awesome dessert plates just for them and I've seen others who were given a bag/box of a couple of prepackaged items that were meant more for gluten free guests and thus half the items were not safe for peanut/tree nut allergies. That's never been worth it to me. However, my DH LOATHES the crowds at the fireworks shows and would rather skip them to avoid the other people. So, I suggested we use some of the gift cards for the HEA dessert party Garden Plaza Viewing, pack up some of our own desserts, just in case, and have a nice area to enjoy the show without 5000 others up in your face. He was sold! We will see how the desserts pan out, but I have already warned the girls they might just have to eat what we bring.

Another thing we used the gift cards for was for the After Hours on the 19th. Honestly, I don't know if we will end up doing it or if we do, if we will stay the whole time. We have a few really packed days back to back and we might just be too tired to do it! I only got passes for the girls and I, since my DH had no interest in it. If we decide not to do it, I might just see if there is a way to gift them to someone else in the park that night.

We thought about doing some of the other tours or something after the boys leave since we still have $$ on the cards, but since my younger DD is only 7, we are limited in which ones we can do. I guess we will see.

Thanks for reading!

Up Next... Surprising the kids and other stuff!

My husband also has the grumpy shirt and he needed on our trip to DL in November after 2 days in his feet at a convention he was not in the mood for the parks.

PixieDust900

Original Poster
My husband also has the grumpy shirt and he needed on our trip to DL in November after 2 days in his feet at a convention he was not in the mood for the parks.

Ha! Oh man, my DH would probably have just stayed at the hotel! I admit, I get secretly jealous when I see posts about how their SO is just as excited as they are to be at Disney! I am happy to be there, no matter what! I'm hoping my kiddos will grow up and continue to love it as much as I do so I can travel with them, LOL. They already know I expect to go with them when they have kids:joyfull:

ELeigh

Ha! Oh man, my DH would probably have just stayed at the hotel! I admit, I get secretly jealous when I see posts about how their SO is just as excited as they are to be at Disney! I am happy to be there, no matter what! I'm hoping my kiddos will grow up and continue to love it as much as I do so I can travel with them, LOL. They already know I expect to go with them when they have kids:joyfull:
Neither one of us is disappointed that he isn't coming with me on my next trip! He likes Star Wars and rides but he thinks I am crazy with my Disney obessesion lol

PixieDust900

Original Poster
Neither one of us is disappointed that he isn't coming with me on my next trip! He likes Star Wars and rides but he thinks I am crazy with my Disney obessesion lol

LOL! My mom has a conference at Coronado in April and I am crossing my fingers that the stars align so that I can tag along. DH thinks I am insane :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom