Galaxy's Edge popularity vs Potter's popularity

biggy H

Yes, this must be unique to the much smaller UK market, because there is barely any Potter merchandise to speak of here any more in stores. In truth, we haven't had much of it anyway. Sure, you can get a calendar or a school folder or stuff like that, but there were barely ever any toys to begin with.

I think its more specific to the London area due to the Warner Bros Studio tour. There is hardly anything for Harry Potter near where I live in the Glasgow area apart from the odd small bits. Certainly nothing in our local Primark apart from the odd shirt.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I think its more specific to the London area due to the Warner Bros Studio tour. There is hardly anything for Harry Potter near where I live in the Glasgow area apart from the odd small bits. Certainly nothing in our local Primark apart from the odd shirt.

I think you're right. I'm from Manchester and would have to say I can't recall much Harry Potter stuff in the shops here. Admittedly I don't go in toy shops at all. Places like supermarkets though stock both Potter and Star Wars stuff, up until the last few months probably at an equal level though just before the release of 'The Last Jedi' Star Wars then took over.

I think both franchises have huge fan bases and I'm always amazed when at Universal the number of people I see dressing up in Potter based costumes in boiling hot weather!!! Women in their 20's dressed in schoolgirl outfits there too, though I have to pretend to not notice them when Mrs Merg is with me. The other year my wife's friend instructed her to buy her a Potter ink bottle when we were there as when she'd visited Universal herself she'd only enough cash on her to buy the pen. My wife asked her why she didn't just buy normal ink and the reply was "Because I want the one from Diagon Alley", anyhow we agreed and it cost about $15 :eek::eek:

Goofyernmost

As Martin said, blame the visitors who felt Epcot wasn't Disney enough at the time.
We can blame them all we want, but, they are the ones paying the bills. Someone in Disney obviously decided that it was important enough to institute to pick up the popularity quotient of the park enough to keep it solvent. As well as, identify EPCOT as part of Disney World. Something that some people still cannot comprehend right up to this day.

nickys

Premium Member

Here in Edinburgh we've had 2 Harry Potter stores open up in the last few months. And I've seen far more stuff in other stores too in the last month or so.

UpAllNight

Whilst most will utilise screens in some fashion I don’t think we’ll see something as reliant on screens as Gringotts or Kong. At least I hope not.

How excited should we be for the already announced Potter coaster?

Let’s say on the scale of 10, Thirteen at Alton Towers is 3, The Mummy is 8

The lack of details make me think it’s going to be Thirteen with a few added show scenes.

Ragerunner

How excited should we be for the already announced Potter coaster?

Let’s say on the scale of 10, Thirteen at Alton Towers is 3, The Mummy is 8

The lack of details make me think it’s going to be Thirteen with a few added show scenes.

Universal has already stated this will be the most themed coaster they have ever built. So if mummy is an 8 this should be a 9 or 10 on your scale. Saying this might be like thirteen with a few show scenes is silly.

UpAllNight

Universal has already stated this will be the most themed coaster they have ever built. So if mummy is an 8 this should be a 9 or 10 on your scale. Saying this might be like thirteen with a few show scenes is silly.

Well they didn’t really...they gave a load of marketing blurb.

“This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world“

Volcano bay for the record was also going to be a game changer. It’s also meant to be a theme park. Marketing blurb doesn’t really tell us much when it comes to these announcements, with Universal. So the question on scope and scale was a fair one.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Well they didn’t really...they gave a load of marketing blurb.

“This ride is going to redefine the category and transport you to thrilling places, drawing you into even more exciting adventures within the wizarding world“

Volcano bay for the record was also going to be a game changer. It’s also meant to be a theme park. Marketing blurb doesn’t really tell us much when it comes to these announcements, with Universal. So the question on scope and scale was a fair one.

They also said - "The new attraction will be one of the most highly themed coaster experiences we've created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action packed adventure...and a few surprises along the way." They are also working with production design team from the Harry potter films again. This will not be a theming flop.

UpAllNight

They also said - "The new attraction will be one of the most highly themed coaster experiences we've created. It will combine a new level of storytelling with an action packed adventure...and a few surprises along the way." They are also working with production design team from the Harry potter films again. This will not be a theming flop.

It was still a fair question. It could be Thirteen with some Potter show scenes, or it could be Mummy or more. They’ve said it’s the most themed coaster they’ve made, but they claim a lot of things that they don’t always deliver on. I have more confidence with them working with Warner Bros....and JK Rowling.

Ragerunner

It was still a fair question. It could be Thirteen with some Potter show scenes, or it could be Mummy or more. They’ve said it’s the most themed coaster they’ve made, but they claim a lot of things that they don’t always deliver on. I have more confidence with them working with Warner Bros....and JK Rowling.

Sounds like you pretty much answered you own question. 2019 is going to be epic in Orlando.

UpAllNight

Sounds like you pretty much answered you own question. 2019 is going to be epic in Orlando.

It will...I’m just hoping this is the third great Potter Ride. I suppose my scepticism comes from the hasty announcement which seemed a little rushed to get something out there after D23. In reality it’s probably been planned for years and they maybe announced a little earlier than planned. I’m hopeful.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You have no idea what Star Wars fans plunk down money on: full costumes, realistic light sabers, underpants...

No other entertainment franchise - not even James Bond and Harry Potter combined - reaches the estimated total of $42 billion in the Star Wars ledger. (Potter’s total revenue from books, movies and toys has been estimated at $25 billion; Bond’s estimate is a paltry $8 billion.) [From here.]

Ahem, I'm one of them. Two expensive collectors lightsabers, one Jedi robe, several to-scale droids, two droid robots, mugs, cups, more SW t-shirts than I can remember and now an X wing drone. But no undergarments....

I have a nice collection of HP merchandise, including robes and my wand. But it pales in comparision to SW.

And I'm a mid-60s female....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom