Trip Report Surprise Visit. 2 nights, 1day, 4 Parks?

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.
That part I’m keeping a complete surprise.

Btw- we leave Wednesday evening. As in THREE days from now.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.

Last edited:

Driver

I’m so behind on trip reports and pre trips.. not sure if it’s in your plans, but I hope Trader Sam’s is included in your itinerary! I’m wildly envious of anyone who can be on the Terrace at night. Great music, great food, great drinks, and great atmosphere.
And the Dole whip "drinks";)

21stamps

Original Poster
Dang that's a lot of planning drama!!!

I'm so glad you were finally able to schedule your trip though! Our boys are really good on long haul road trips...we pack a cooler bag with drinks and snacks, and they each have their tablets, plus they fill their backpacks with other car-friendly activities. We let them pick what they'll bring for fun and it gets them involved in the planning process and helps build their excitement. :)

Great idea!!! I’ll grab some word search/puzzle books! I won’t even see my kiddo too much over the next few days., at least not where we’ll have time to talk about planning. I have so much to do still!!!!

Yesterday was shot due to a morning indoor soccer game (what made me think that I would have time to coach?!?!?!), then a family brunch, and then a long Cub Scout event where we packed Care packages and wrote letters to send to the Troops.

Now today- I’m working of course.. tonight kiddo has soccer training with his club team.

I may have to get some sugar free Red Bull and stay up all night packing and writing lists.

T is so busy lately that he hasn’t been involved much in our vacation at all. Every time I try to talk to him about excursions or ship activities, he responds “I’m too busy. Just pick whatever you want. I’ll like anything.” I try to show him videos and he’s just not into it at all. Don’t get me wrong, He’s excited for the trip we just have sooooo much going on right now!! Hopefully the Disney portion will be a huge and welcoming surprise.

WOW, talk about a whirlwind planning adventure! I thought the 12 days that I was given to plan a trip last February was chaotic, I can't even imaging having less than a week to make a plan that works o_O May the force be with you!!!!

I'm sure that no matter what you and your son will have a great, spur of the moment few days in Disney!

Thank you. I really hope so. I may be completely crazy at this point.

And the Dole whip "drinks";)

Yes!!!!!! I can’t believe that we’ll be missing out this time. :(

Last edited:

Pixieish

Great idea!!! I’ll grab some word search/puzzle books! I won’t even see my kiddo too much over the next few days., at least not where we’ll have time to talk about planning. I have so much to do still!!!!

Yesterday was shot due to a morning indoor soccer game (what made me think that I would have time to coach?!?!?!), then a family brunch, and then a long Cub Scout event where we packed Care packages and wrote letters to send to the Troops.

Now today- I’m working of course.. tonight kiddo has soccer training with his club team.

I may have to get some sugar free Red Bull and stay up all night packing and writing lists.

T is so busy lately that he hasn’t been involved much in our vacation at all. Every time I try to talk to him about excursions or ship activities, he responds “I’m too busy. Just pick whatever you want. I’ll like anything.” I try to show him videos and he’s just not into it at all. Don’t get me wrong, He’s excited for the trip we just have sooooo much going on right now!! Hopefully the Disney portion will be a huge and welcoming surprise.

Thank you. I really hope so. I may be completely crazy at this point.

Yes!!!!!! I can’t believe that we’ll be missing out this time. :(
I know that crazy busy feeling! I was a Cub Scout mom (and Den leader), and between both kiddos and their school stuff, plus mine, plus soccer (which we finally gave up on because kiddo wasn't very into it), I was falling into a coma every night. Hang in there - it's almost Disney time!

12in12

I understand you want to make your WDW days magical but I remember from your last trip report that what your son wanted was to spend time with you, without phones and distractions. Whatever you decide to do together at the World is going to be fun since it is family time. T won't remember what you didn't do but he will remember rushing and stressing etc.
Whatever you decide to do I hope you have a great time.:)

amjt660

Premium Member
I understand you want to make your WDW days magical but I remember from your last trip report that what your son wanted was to spend time with you, without phones and distractions. Whatever you decide to do together at the World is going to be fun since it is family time. T won't remember what you didn't do but he will remember rushing and stressing etc.
Yeah what @RedNoseMickey said
Bang on target

You could hang out together at the pool all day and he would have a blast

Max

21stamps

Original Poster
I know that crazy busy feeling! I was a Cub Scout mom (and Den leader), and between both kiddos and their school stuff, plus mine, plus soccer (which we finally gave up on because kiddo wasn't very into it), I was falling into a coma every night. Hang in there - it's almost Disney time!

My kid lives and breathes soccer right now. He doesn’t watch cartoons.. he watches YouTube videos of Christiano Ronaldo.lol. It’s crazy.
The tryouts last month were one of the most stressful time periods that we’ve been thru. His nerves got the best of him :(. He actually played badly, for him, at tryouts. Cried himself to sleep after both sessions. As in- I could hear him sobbing in his room. Tried to talk to him, but nothing helped. It was heartbreaking.
Kiddo only wanted to try out for one club.. and honestly, I didn’t think he would make it after his tryout performance. Luckily he did!! I think our saving grace was that one of the coaches has actually coached my son in indoor before.. and has been on an opposing team in outdoor... between that and apparently they “could still see thru his nerves and recognize his talent”, the offer came a few days later. We were both shocked and ecstatic!! But it has taken over our life.. and he still loves his other sports as well.

I’m barely managing with his schedule.. I don’t know how my parents did it with 3 of us.lol

Side note- he tried out for Select Baseball in August.. had to tryout for a team that was two years older.. everyone thought he would make it, including his baseball coach who is the one who convinced me to allow him to try out. T’s nerves took over and it was like watching a different child. He was a mess.. he just completely froze under pressure. Had a gut-wrenching sobbing breakdown after we returned home. I cried too.. hated to see a 7-year-old go thru that kind of stress and disappointment.. I can’t even describe my own guilt for telling him about the tryouts.. He didn’t make the team. :(. I gave him “Michael Jordan” stories to try and comfort him.
It’s been a crazy few months.

We both need some relaxing and less stressing right now.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster

I know you’re right. Thanks for the advice :)

If there is one positive about Ohio State losing last weekend, it’s that now it is no longer imperative to see live results of Rivals Weekend (the Saturday that we’re on our cruise). Sooo.. I’m recording the OSU/Michigan game to watch 2 days later.. and I’m NOT buying the ship’s internet package. Which means I will be TOTALLY UNPLUGGED for the first time.. in forever?! (We’ll both be decked out in OSU gear that day though ;) )

I can’t wait to be off the grid. :).

Yeah what @RedNoseMickey said
Bang on target

You could hang out together at the pool all day and he would have a blast

Max

....you’re correct too Max. :)

I’m heavily leaning towards MVMCP, and just sleeping in a bit on Friday. I may wait until Thursday morning to make the final call though.

Last edited:

Pixieish

My kid lives and breathes soccer right now. He doesn’t watch cartoons.. he watches YouTube videos of Christiano Ronaldo.lol. It’s crazy.
The tryouts last month were one of the most stressful time periods that we’ve been thru. His nerves got the best of him :(. He actually played badly, for him, at tryouts. Cried himself to sleep after both sessions. As in- I could hear him sobbing in his room. Tried to talk to him, but nothing helped. It was heartbreaking.
Kiddo only wanted to try out for one club.. and honestly, I didn’t think he would make it after his tryout performance. Luckily he did!! I think our saving grace was that one of the coaches has actually coached my son in indoor before.. and has been on an opposing team in outdoor... between that and apparently they “could still see thru his nerves and recognize his talent”, the offer came a few days later. We were both shocked and ecstatic!! But it has taken over our life.. and he still loves his other sports as well.

I’m barely managing with his schedule.. I don’t know how my parents did it with 3 of us.lol

Side note- he tried out for Select Baseball in August.. had to tryout for a team that was two years older.. everyone thought he would make it, including his baseball coach who is the one who convinced me to allow him to try out. T’s nerves took over and it was like watching a different child. He was a mess.. he just completely froze under pressure. Had a gut-wrenching sobbing breakdown after we returned home. I cried too.. hated to see a 7-year-old go thru that kind of stress and disappointment.. I can’t even describe my own guilt for telling him about the tryouts.. He didn’t make the team. :(. I gave him “Michael Jordan” stories to try and comfort him.
It’s been a crazy few months.

We both need some relaxing and less stressing right now.

Awww, poor kid! Sounds like you could both use some major happy Disney time!

21stamps

Original Poster
Awww, poor kid! Sounds like you could both use some major happy Disney time!

Thank you. I swear I’m not some crazy sports parent who puts too much pressure on my kid. However, I do feel guilt sometimes because I just feel like the overall pressure in sports has just become too much too early these days... and maybe I shouldn’t have let him know about these other teams. He loves sports though, he wants to be on the select teams, so we’ll see how it goes. But that’s a rant for a different thread ;)

We definitely just need some Disney time.

Last edited:

Pixieish

Thank you. I swear I’m not some crazy sports parent who puts too much pressure on my kid. However, I do feel guilt sometimes because I just feel like the overall pressure in sports has just become too much too early these days... and maybe I shouldn’t have let him know about these other teams. He loves sports though, he wants to be on the select teams, so we’ll see how it goes. But that’s a rant for a different thread ;)

We definitely just need some Disney time.
I have the opposite issue, lol...my oldest couldn't care less about any sport that isn't swimming, and where we're in New England...lets just say I'm not thrilled about being stuck up here at least another year.

blreinsel

I have been a complete mess. That’s one of the reasons why I’m so behind on everyone’s trip reports. I can’t wait to have the time to read them and how people actually do the things that they planned to do.lol.

I’m undecided on MVMCP. I do know that either way I don’t have the time to buy us “ugly Christmas sweaters” for it. Plus, I am not a fan of celebrating (anything) Christmas before Black Friday... although I may make an exception in 2017.

Definitely do MVMCP one way or another. I can't remember if you've done it before or not? We just went for the first time on Friday and it was AMAZING! I don't celebrate Christmas until Black Friday so this was a stretch for me, however it was well worth the money and worth "breaking" my own rules. ;) I think T would love it!

21stamps

Original Poster
Definitely do MVMCP one way or another. I can't remember if you've done it before or not? We just went for the first time on Friday and it was AMAZING! I don't celebrate Christmas until Black Friday so this was a stretch for me, however it was well worth the money and worth "breaking" my own rules. ;) I think T would love it!

Glad you had fun!!! Also so glad to hear of someone else not starting Christmas on November 1!! ;)

We did go last year! I’m so undecided. Leaning towards the party, but worried that we’ll lose the next morning. I don’t want both of us to be over the parks by 1pm that second day.
I think at this point I’m just going to wing it. We’ll see what time we arrive in Orlando, I’ll make the decision at that point.

Goal is to leave around 4pm tomorrow.. but I haven’t started packing, have too much going on today/tonight.. won’t even be able to start getting clothes etc together until 9pm-ish.
Tomorrow I have a mani/pedi/eyebrow wax.. I’m going to be pasty white because I just don’t have to time to do a spray tan appointment!

Still have to go to the grocery and pick up snacks and word puzzles etc for kiddo., completely forgot to buy water shoes for him, hoping I can pick some up in Florida.

Best of all- I’ve put on 15lbs.. procrastinated too long and won’t lose the weight now.. did buy some new clothes, but couldn’t bring myself to buy new denim.

This trip snuck up on me so quickly!!! It will be a miracle if we get out of here tomorrow without forgetting something...or many things ;)

21stamps

Original Poster
Checked one thing off the list- Downloaded the NCL app.. useless until we board., but it did provide me with this reminder-

CA376B96-E468-4C7F-B2AC-7484DD54D00F.jpeg

Right now I’m sitting at work., here’s my Plans for the next 4 Days 23 Hours 30 Minutes and 26 Seconds-

Today, Tuesday, 11/14-

• Get thru today without biting anyone’s head off.

• Hair Appointment during “lunch”.

• Back to Work.

• Book Fair 3pm

• Back to Work.

•Head home at some point.

• Study with kiddo for his tests tomorrow.

• Download and print eDocs.

• Make coffee and espresso while simultaneously drinking Red Bull.

• Stay up all night packing and searching for Fast Passes on MDE.

Actually, That’s all I got right now, just today..I’ll figure out tomorrow’s plan eventually. At some point I’ll have to go to the grocery, can I carry a 7 year old in a grocery store in the middle of the night?

Anyway..

What do you guys think about Thursday? Wait til we arrive or try to make a plan now?

21stamps

Original Poster
Oh and by the way, my darling child completely went off the rails last night and apparently acted foolish at soccer. I wasn’t there, another parent sent me a text that our kids were playing around during practice. So he’s grounded from electronics until we leave.
If I wasn’t concerned with my own sanity I would not allow him to bring his tablet during our drive.. but I can’t punish myself in that way.;)

Fun times in our house :)

Last edited:

Courtney6682

Oh and by the way, my darling child completely went off the rails last night and apparently acted foolish at soccer. I wasn’t there, another parent sent me a text that our kids were playing around during practice. So he’s grounded from electronics until we leave.
If I wasn’t concerned with my own sanity I would not allow him to bring his tablet during our drive.. but I can’t punish myself in that way.;)

Fun times in our house :)

Can u have him dab by each state's sign that u drive thru? :D Please?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom