Help with Dining !

Frankie Nova

Original Poster
Hello dis friends,
I am about 5 days away from my 180 days out and about to reserve my dining. I have played around a bit with 1) "My dis experience" app, and very little on the 2) "touring plans" reservation finder. I guess what I am asking is what works ? Have you used 1 or both ?
what advice could you give me to score on my attack? Tips, tricks and Disney magic is appreciated
Thank you

Darkzeid25

I used the app and website for making my first reservations. The Touring Plans reservation finder is really good for getting reservations for places you couldn't get on the first day. I was able to get reservations for Sci-Fi and Chef Mickeys that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Schneewittchen

I'm one of those weirdos that wakes up early on 180 day with a plan to grab ADRs for specific restaurants at specific times on certain days. I always do the difficult ones first - CRT, Chef Mickey's, Le Celier, Akershus, 'Ohana, etc. that morning. But weeks in advance, I'll discuss menus with DH and write out which park I'd like to go to each day and then list the preferred ADRs and times. Keeps me organized.

I find the MDE app less glitchy than the MDE web site, but I've used both. I've never used the Touring Plans reservation finder.

Weather_Lady

You'll want to make your dining reservations via the DME website or app. (I've used both, although I prefer the website because I'm a fast and accurate typist, but a fat-fingered oaf on the phone). If you run into trouble or have questions, the disney dining telephone line, through which you can ALSO make reservations, opens up an hour after the online system.

The touringplans reservation finder tool is a last resort, if you find a restaurant you want is totally booked already. The reservation finder is just that: it notifies you if it finds an opening on your desired day/time, and gives you a link so you can make the reservation yourself on Disney's website. It does not, and cannot, make reservations for you, and if you're one of several people looking for the same restaurant on the same day, you'll be virtually competing with those folks to see who can click through and make the ADR the fastest -- so although it's always worked for me in the end, sometimes it took me several renewals of my request before I got the ADR I wanted.

The advice (especially if you are visiting during a busy time of year, or during a free/discounted dining promotion, when competition for ADRs is exponentially higher!!!) is to be at your computer/on your smartphone, logged into DME, precisely at 6:00am EST, 180 days from your arrival at WDW to begin making your ADRs. Ideally, have your fellow diners already programmed into DME in your "friends and family" list, so you can select them easily when reserving, and don't have to enter in their information, but if you don't, that's okay, too - you can always add it later. (If you are staying onsite, you'll be able to make all of your ADRs for your stay, for up to 10 days, at that time. If you are staying offsite, you can make each reservation 180 days from your desired dining date, so you'll have to come back each day for a few days, reserving one day at a time.)

If you're able to make all your ADRs at once, then have a written list of the restaurants, days and times you want. Start with the ones that will be the most difficult, either because the restaurant is in high demand or has very low seating capacity (e.g., Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Le Cellier, 'Ohana for dinner, Beaches & Cream, etc.), or because the reservation falls earlier in your vacation, meaning that a larger number of people with a 180+-day window have had a chance to book that date. If there's an ADR you think you might not be able to snag, have a back-up venue in mind. (It's not from this year - and is out of date to the extent that is says Skipper Canteen doesn't take ADRs, because now it does - but this article lists some of the more popular ADRs, and suggests some similar alternatives - http://blog.touringplans.com/2016/02/09/disney-world-hardest-dining-reservations/)

Once you've made your reservations (you'll receive confirmation e-mails, and be able to see them listed on MDE under your Reservations), if there's something you didn't get but would like to keep looking for, then give the touringplans restaurant reservation finder tool a try.

Last edited:

Frankie Nova

Original Poster
You'll want to make your dining reservations via the DME website or app. (I've used both, although I prefer the website because I'm a fast and accurate typist, but a fat-fingered oaf on the phone). If you run into trouble or have questions, the disney dining telephone line, through which you can ALSO make reservations, opens up an hour after the online system.

The touringplans reservation finder tool is a last resort, if you find a restaurant you want is totally booked already. The reservation finder is just that: it notifies you if it finds a later opening on your desired day/time, and gives you a link so you can make the reservation yourself on Disney's website. It does not, and cannot, make reservations for you.

The advice (especially if you are visiting during a busy time of year, or during a free/discounted dining promotion, when competition for ADRs is exponentially higher!!!) is to be at your computer/on your smartphone, logged into DME, precisely at 6:00am EST, 180 days from your arrival at WDW to begin making your ADRs. Ideally, have your fellow diners already programmed into DME in your "friends and family" list, so you can select them easily when reserving, and don't have to enter in their information, but if you don't, that's okay, too - you can always add it later. (If you are staying onsite, you'll be able to make all of your ADRs for your stay, for up to 10 days, at that time. If you are staying offsite, you can make each reservation 180 days from your desired dining date, so you'll have to come back each day for a few days, reserving one day at a time.)

If you're able to make all your ADRs at once, then have a written list of the restaurants, days and times you want. Start with the ones that will be the most difficult, either because the restaurant is in high demand or has very low seating capacity (e.g., Be Our Guest, Cinderella's Royal Table, Le Cellier, 'Ohana for dinner, Beaches & Cream, etc.), or because the reservation falls earlier in your vacation, meaning that a larger number of people with a 180+-day window have had a chance to book that date. If there's an ADR you think you might not be able to snag, have a back-up venue in mind. (It's not from this year - and is out of date to the extent that is says Skipper Canteen doesn't take ADRs, because now it does - but this article lists some of the more popular ADRs, and suggests some similar alternatives - http://blog.touringplans.com/2016/02/09/disney-world-hardest-dining-reservations/)

thank you so much for that great imput.. the only thing you lost me on was this statement

"Ideally, have your fellow diners already programmed into DME in your "friends and family" list, so you can select them easily when reserving, and don't have to enter in their information"

Once you've made your reservations (you'll receive confirmation e-mails, and be able to see them listed on MDE under your Reservations), if there's something you didn't get but would like to keep looking for, then give the touringplans restaurant reservation finder tool a try.

Frankie Nova

Original Poster
thank you so much for that great imput.. the only thing you lost me on was this statement

"Ideally, have your fellow diners already programmed into DME in your "friends and family" list, so you can select them easily when reserving, and don't have to enter in their information"

Weather_Lady

To clarify: in MDE, you have a "Friends & Family" list where you can add details about those in your traveling party, assign tickets and Magic Bands to them, and make dining reservations for them. If you are making ADRs through the app, I don't think it asks you who you're dining with, but on the computer, it does, and you can either select a generic "guest" profile, or else a specific person from your friends and family list, when you make a dining reservation. If you just select the generic "guest" option, you can always go back and change it to your travel party members later, after the reservation is made, so no need to worry about it when initially making the ADR if you'd rather make them quickly.

If you want to know what I mean, just do a "test" reservation on MDE. Select a random restaurant with an opening a few weeks from now (more than 1 day, but less than 181), and go through the steps to make a reservation, stopping before the final confirmation (or canceling it immediately after making it).

Another thing: make sure you have a credit card linked to MDE that you can designate for payment. That will also make things go more smoothly when making ADRs. (Some restaurants require pre-payment and the others will charge for cancellations made with less than 24 hours notice).

Last edited:

Frankie Nova

Original Poster
To clarify: in MDE, you have a "Friends & Family" list where you can add details about those in your traveling party, assign tickets and Magic Bands to them, and make dining reservations for them. If you are making ADRs through the app, I don't think it asks you who you're dining with, but on the computer, it does, and you can either select a generic "guest" profile, or else a specific person from your friends and family list, when you make a dining reservation. If you just select the generic "guest" option, you can always go back and change it to your travel party members later, after the reservation is made, so no need to worry about it when initially making the ADR if you'd rather make them quickly.

If you want to know what I mean, just do a "test" reservation on MDE. Select a random restaurant with an opening a few weeks from now (more than 1 day, but less than 181), and go through the steps to make a reservation, stopping before the final confirmation (or canceling it immediately after making it).

Another thing: make sure you have a credit card linked to MDE that you can designate for payment. That will also make things go more smoothly when making ADRs. (Some restaurants require pre-payment and the others will charge for cancellations made with less than 24 hours notice).
I have done that on my android and never ask that ..which was the confusion . I booked then cancelled.
thank you so much for your time it is helpful

thomas998

No matter what don't lose heart if your one must have pick is booked up... just keep plugging away and there is a good chance you'll still be able to get it later on. I used to do the 180 out deal, waking up early just to try and snag what I really wanted and honestly I think the only place you might really need to do that is CRT. I have had no issue with getting other ones I wanted so even as close a month and a half before a trip as long as I was willing to be flexible on the time or date during a trip. And CRT was booked up on one of those 180 day wake up early attempts but I still got it a couple of weeks later during a random attempt, people do cancel and if you're persistent you might be surprised what you can get.

Frankie Nova

Original Poster
I just had my 180 out yesterday and at 6am I started and I really don't know why all the uproar . First, got an hour set back because of a mix up on conflicting log on' s (totally my fault) Once I got started I got every desired place for every day for every time!...don't get it
this was way too easy ! Am I blessed?( well yes I am) Is it that I am going in May of 2018?.... by the evening my wife and I stared on our lunches and breakfast which were also relativity easy.. Don't really know why people have to use touring rev finder ect.....
Cali grill prime time ....Aloha dinner show ....Ohana Prime time... could have gotten BOG anytime ..lunch or dinner
called for aloha dinner show because the web site was being fussy but no problem what time or day I wanted

Herdman

My 180 day mark was also yesterday, and I didn't have a problem getting everything I wanted either. Part of it is in the fact that we are going in May. As others have said, there really isn't an off time anymore, but there are certainly times "less off" than others. If you are going during spring break times, in the summer months when all the schools are out or around the fall/winter holidays it's much more imperative to be on at 6:00 AM sharp on the first day.

Frankie Nova

Original Poster
My 180 day mark was also yesterday, and I didn't have a problem getting everything I wanted either. Part of it is in the fact that we are going in May. As others have said, there really isn't an off time anymore, but there are certainly times "less off" than others. If you are going during spring break times, in the summer months when all the schools are out or around the fall/winter holidays it's much more imperative to be on at 6:00 AM sharp on the first day.
gotcha ..if I were to make changes at all it would be to get earlier lunch times...I have trimmed up a half hour earlier here and there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom