Umm 21st Century Fox Purchase?

alex0c

The deal would give Disney access to a large trove of new IP to use in its parks.

"For Disney, the opportunity to take control of another movie studio and significant TV production assets as it readies a direct to consumer entertainment streaming offering is attractive as is Fox's significant exposure to international markets, such as the U.K., Germany and Italy both through its networks and 30 percent ownership of Sky B.

In addition to the movie studio, TV production and international assets such as Star and Sky B, Disney would also add entertainment networks such as FX and National Geographic."

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21s...o-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

deWild

Everyone knows that purchasing the movie studio portion of Fox means Disney gets the X-Men & Fantastic Four. There's just a couple points to be made here:

1. The article states that the talks are on and off. Nothing is set in stone so we have no idea what will end up happening.
2. Universal will still have the rights to the core Marvel characters in their attractions.

Until Universal yields those rights over, Disney will be unable to build any Marvel attractions. Adding the X-Men would only place more pressure on management to bid higher for those rights to build.

BrianLo

Is Disney going after Fox? Or is Fox wanting to sell off parts of business and Disney is the first interested?

Sounds like the later.

Dis would not buy the broadcast network, Fox News channel, the sports side of things (anti-trust), or the affiliates.

FX, Nat Geo, BskyB and the movie production studio and rights would be the divisions that they would acquire.

Fox would essentially become a more focused company on Sports and News. Dis is trying to gobble up more entertainment opportunities to roll into their Netflix-like service.

the.dreamfinder

Sounds like the later.

Dis would not buy the broadcast network, Fox News channel, the sports side of things (anti-trust), or the affiliates.

FX, Nat Geo, BskyB and the movie production studio and rights would be the divisions that they would acquire.

Fox would essentially become a more focused company on Sports and News. Dis is trying to gobble up more entertainment opportunities to roll into their Netflix-like service.
I guess they would merge NewsCorp into what’s left of 21st Century Fox?

BrianLo

This potential includes film/TV rights to: X-Men, Simpson’s, Kingsmen, Die Hard, Deadpool, Fantastic 4, Avatar.

Did I miss anything major?

The original print of Star Wars.

I didn't really understand the motivation behind this, but in terms of major things Fox owns, most (Marvel/Avatar/Star Wars OGT) make more sense these days under the Dis umbrella. I see how it's an easy fit.

Apes and Alien franchises I think are the other big things, but I'm not sure who exactly those rights sit with.

the.dreamfinder

I didn't really understand the motivation behind this, but in terms of major things Fox owns, most (Marvel/Avatar/Star Wars OGT) make more sense these days under the Dis umbrella. I see how it's an easy fit.

Apes and Alien franchises I think are the other big things, but I'm not sure who exactly those rights sit with.
TBH, I suspect the broadcast and satellite assets are what interests Disney most in this deal.

Effectively, Disney becomes Comcast.

BrianLo

If this deal goes through, this is the end of the “Walt Disney” part of the Walt Disney Company.

TBH, I suspect the broadcast and satellite assets are what interests Disney most in this deal.

Effectively, Disney becomes Comcast.

All very hypothetical of course, but I think this would be much less drastic than the ABC acquisition for the company. Unlike Marvel/Pixar/Lucas, which culturally largely were kept intact I can see Fox simply being stripped for parts and maybe the studio banner being kept for some occasional non-Disney live action non-remakes (which would be nice).

I really don't know if Disney needs a third animation studio for instance.

I get what you are saying about Comcast, but very little of this diversifies the current company, it seems mostly for some broadcast rights and property rights. Unless I'm missing something else big that Fox does or owns.

the.dreamfinder

All very hypothetical of course, but I think this would be much less drastic than the ABC acquisition for the company. Unlike Marvel/Pixar/Lucas, which culturally largely were kept intact I can see Fox simply being stripped for parts and maybe the studio banner being kept for some occasional non-Disney live action non-remakes (which would be nice).

I really don't know if Disney needs a third animation studio for instance.

I get what you are saying about Comcast, but very little of this diversifies the current company, it seems mostly for some broadcast rights and property rights. Unless I'm missing something else big that Fox does or owns.
Sky, which Fox doesn’t fully own, is a huuge asset. Just that is almost like CapCities.
Fox has a large East and Southeast Asian production and broadcasting apparatus.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom