Time for the war to begin.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With Universal's purchase of an additional 100 acres, they now have enough land for 2 more gates, a new City Walk and more hotels. They will go ahead with this soon, so Disney must act now. Universal is serious about equalling what Disney currently has so the only way to keep it's lead is for Disney to start an all-out war.

Disney should buy Seaworld, build a 5th gate based on villans and add scare zones for Holloween and of course more hotel rooms. They need to do this now and not wait for Universals move. SeaWorld could be used both as an extra thing to do for people visiting WDW and Southern California and while also working as a regional park operator. It would be a win win for Disney and Seaworld.

Disney still has a major lead and can't afford to let Universal continue to gain on them. Taking these steps would not only add gates but go after Universal on their Halloween Horror nights without hurting the current Not so scary Halloween Party. The time is now for the real war to begin.

Disney has lost the war without a shot being fired, The Disney Bubble which was Disney's version of the Maginot Line has been bypassed largely by Disney's focus on being a 'growth stock'. instead of being a Growing Business. The pitiful Star Wars effort which is 5 years too late and too short on attractions.

If it had been done RIGHT as a major land or new gate with 6-8 high capacity E-tickets and a dozen A-D tickets it could have nailed the lid shut on Uni's coffin, Instead far too little far too late

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
They are acting now, what do you think Star Wars Land, Toy Story Land, Hollywood Studios makeover and Epcot’s makeover are? They are building more hotels, Star Wars Resort, Disney’s Riviera
Disney playing catch up is not the same as expanding. While it is great they are finally sprucing up HS and Epcot, it is long overdue and it wont be finished for several years.

It feels (IMO) that Disney is content to simply pacify its guests and take their time doing so, while Uni seems to be bursting at the seems with ideas and builds entire lands/parks in less time than it takes Disney to refurb an existing attraction.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney playing catch up is not the same as expanding. While it is great they are finally sprucing up HS and Epcot, it is long overdue and it wont be finished for several years.

It feels (IMO) that Disney is content to simply pacify its guests and take their time doing so, while Uni seems to be bursting at the seems with ideas and builds entire lands/parks in less time than it takes Disney to refurb an existing attraction.

Playing catch up to what? Uni's rides are mostly stale rehashes of the same thing, Harry Potter being the exception. Disney is still pretty far ahead - although it sounds like Uni is investing heavily to try catching up, and Disney better see that threat for what it is if they want to remain on top.

Buying SeaWorld isn't the answer IMO, neither is a 5th gate (yet). After the current plans, DHS and AK need one or two more lands each, with E-Tickets added, to make them into > 1 day parks, MK needs a refurb throughout the park. Once that's done, a 5th gate would be in order.

Goofyernmost

I'll go further a drop divided among all the worlds oceans
To get real technical there is only one Ocean. We just name it differently in different areas. It's all one huge body of water inhabited by a few land masses. It's the same water. So saying it either way is actually saying the same thing.

jakeman

Disney has lost the war without a shot being fired, The Disney Bubble which was Disney's version of the Maginot Line has been bypassed largely by Disney's focus on being a 'growth stock'. instead of being a Growing Business. The pitiful Star Wars effort which is 5 years too late and too short on attractions.

If it had been done RIGHT as a major land or new gate with 6-8 high capacity E-tickets and a dozen A-D tickets it could have nailed the lid shut on Uni's coffin, Instead far too little far too late
Good thing they are going out of business in a few years and we won't have to worry about it then, right?

So if you'll excuse me, I had a terrible meal at a Chili's about 4 years ago and haven't been back; so I need to revisit their fan pages and pontificate endlessly about how their impending bankruptcy and lack of corporate leadership led to substandard table side guac.

Goofyernmost

Disney started losing the war in December of 1966. There was and will only be one Walt Disney. Without any hesitation I would say that the fact that the company has survived over 50 years since that walking "spark" of inspiration walked the earth is an strong indication of just how unique he was. It has run strictly on his legacy. That's not so say that I don't think they created some really impressive stuff over those years, because to say otherwise would be just putting down the creativity of many people.

The Disney Company may be rich, but, it is not a bottomless pit. To maintain the quality that seems to be currently expected day after day is at some point an exercise in wasting money unless there is a sufficient return to keep it fluid. They are currently spending Billions of dollars to do a much needed upgrade. In my mind when you start talking billions of dollars you are talking about real money and hardly a "drop in the ocean". If Uni opens another park, (other then water, and even then they are one short now) they still haven't caught up and believe me the executives there are just as aware of return on investment as Disney is. There is an end for both places. We are talking about a business that charges outrageous amounts to people that can only take home memories. Except for those individuals the value of those memories are only theirs and like a ticket are not transferable. It is a very iffy business, with high costs and high risks and are the first things to melt in an economic meltdown.

I have another question, why would it be in our best interest to "kill" Universal. That would just make the money grubbing management of Disney have a free reign. Universal offers some very worthwhile attractions, please tell me why we would want to eliminate that venue. What would we gain by it being brought to it's knees. If you want an example of how a once thought of "great thing" can be killed think of Shopping Malls. Spending more and more money to create bigger and bigger at the time was thought of as a sure investment. Times changed, as they will again, and they are mostly either already dead or on the way out. They over estimated the demand and now have a huge number of corpses to remind us of how much folly can be achieved by the spend more to get more philosophy.

bhg469

Yawn. It doesn't matter what the park with the overrated wizard does, they'll always be inferior in my eyes. But I'm glad this news is exciting for others
As someone who doesnt give a hoot about potter, those additions are world class. Disney still hasn't out done diagon alley. And in terms of IP, mario is bigger than Luke skywalker in may parts of the world. If @marni1971 says big things are coming, then I definitely believe that. What I havent gotten from him is who has the more interesting future plans.

bhg469

I have no doubt good things are coming for them, I'm just not as interested of the happening at UNI as most people around these parts are.
I visited for the first time in like 15 years recently with the same mindset as you. I just want because I was bored of WDW and figured what the heck. Universal does a few things better than Disney. You should really check it out just once.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
If you want an example of how a once thought of "great thing" can be killed think of Shopping Malls. Spending more and more money to create bigger and bigger at the time was thought of as a sure investment.
Comparing WDW to Shopping Malls is a bit fatuous. I dont think the average Disney fan is looking for WDW to get "bigger and bigger" the way shopping malls attempted to become "Titanics" . A steady addition of quality attractions over the years would have prevented the need for what they are now having to do with building SW, TSL, and Epcot additions/refurbs. The good thing is they finally realized it was time to do something.

Time will tell if they decide to continue growing at a good pace while attendance will no doubt continue to rise, or if they decide to sit on their laurels again for another decade.

smile

That’s finally been realised and admitted I believe.

years back it was easily the best way to "ride the movies"...
but at some point you've got to look around at what you've done. such a healthy realization. good things.

Some of the photos Tom posts are amazing.

when he was dusting off and whipping out those EC construction photos... OMFG :jawdrop:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As someone who doesnt give a hoot about potter, those additions are world class. Disney still hasn't out done diagon alley. And in terms of IP, mario is bigger than Luke skywalker in may parts of the world. If @marni1971 says big things are coming, then I definitely believe that. What I havent gotten from him is who has the more interesting future plans.
For the existing Comcast parks, I alone know of ten D/E class tickets planned. Like I’ve said on top of that, the recently purchased land should hold some surprises and a lot of... stuff. And the next park could be of IoA quality and style.

Not comparing to WDW. I don’t do that. Just saying what I know.

Tavernacle12

For the existing Comcast parks, I alone know of ten D/E class tickets planned. Like I’ve said on top of that, the recently purchased land should hold some surprises and a lot of... stuff. And the next park could be of IoA quality and style.

Not comparing to WDW. I don’t do that. Just saying what I know.

Is that ten number including the first phase of Nintendo or in addition to it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom