New mission coming to Star Tours - The Adventure Continues

Chet Dakota

I know that it is just me wishing, but they should move it to the new lands, or adjacent to the new lands and update the films to match the new theming. To me, part of the appeal now is the mix and match of the different eras of the franchise. But, with the supposed theming of the new land, they would not want to have that available anymore. They could extend the time of the ride slightly and have the rides take off and land from the "new planet", and still have multiple destinations available, all in the sequel time period. Maybe at WDW, they could make it an attraction at the SW hotel, where you take an excursion from the "hotel ship?"

GlacierGlacier

Star Tours is so much fun. I'll be upset when it's gone, but as long as I know that something good is replacing it, I'll be good. It's odd, it's one ride from my childhood that I remember, and probably the one I'll have fondest memories of when it closes.

Any chance of the same ride system being recycled anywhere in the US parks? There's already one at Kennedy Space Center with the Launch Experience, but it'd be a shame for it to dissapear from Disney entirely.

*Stupidly optimistic point of view* The building for Body Wars is still there. Move the ST sims over to Epcot, make a new show, get a new E-Ticket on the cheap.

Frizzball

Star Tours is so much fun. I'll be upset when it's gone, but as long as I know that something good is replacing it, I'll be good. It's odd, it's one ride from my childhood that I remember, and probably the one I'll have fondest memories of when it closes.

Any chance of the same ride system being recycled anywhere in the US parks? There's already one at Kennedy Space Center with the Launch Experience, but it'd be a shame for it to dissapear from Disney entirely.

*Stupidly optimistic point of view* The building for Body Wars is still there. Move the ST sims over to Epcot, make a new show, get a new E-Ticket on the cheap.
The building is still there but according to trespassers they stripped the ride vehicles and mechanics sometime around 2014/2015 if I remember rightly.

AEfx

You joined this site shortly after the original closed. Are you that attached to the new version? Don't get me wrong, it's a solid attraction but far from the best Disney has to offer.

The new version is light years better than the old, IMO. Pun absolutely intended, LOL.

The original was really great for the time, and of course I have very fond memories of it - being the only Star Wars attraction on Earth - but it certainly had it's drawbacks. Basically, 2.0 has everything the original didn't - so many Star Wars locations I can't even name them all from memory, tons of Star Wars characters, and that's not even mentioning the technical aspects - a much smoother ride, and of course that it manages to still feel "fresh" every time because of the random nature.

I mean, I did love Rex - but to sit a few feet from C-3PO himself? Real, "live", and talking to us? It's...just a whole different level. Again, the original ride was great - though in retrospect, things like the "crystal field" or whatever could have been in any generic ride - but 2.0 is just leagues and leagues more in terms of a Star Wars experience.

While there absolutely isn't anyone that I trust more than Martin when it comes to "insider" info, and I don't doubt the veracity of the current plan, I do hope that since there is such a long time between now and then, that things change. I would absolutely hate to lose Star Tours. Especially since they can keep updating and expanding it as new Star Wars media comes out. Losing it wouldn't be a tragedy on the level of Horizons or GMR, but it would certainly sting and would be a real shame.

Jones14

The new version is light years better than the old, IMO. Pun absolutely intended, LOL.

The original was really great for the time, and of course I have very fond memories of it - being the only Star Wars attraction on Earth - but it certainly had it's drawbacks. Basically, 2.0 has everything the original didn't - so many Star Wars locations I can't even name them all from memory, tons of Star Wars characters, and that's not even mentioning the technical aspects - a much smoother ride, and of course that it manages to still feel "fresh" every time because of the random nature.

I mean, I did love Rex - but to sit a few feet from C-3PO himself? Real, "live", and talking to us? It's...just a whole different level. Again, the original ride was great - though in retrospect, things like the "crystal field" or whatever could have been in any generic ride - but 2.0 is just leagues and leagues more in terms of a Star Wars experience.

While there absolutely isn't anyone that I trust more than Martin when it comes to "insider" info, and I don't doubt the veracity of the current plan, I do hope that since there is such a long time between now and then, that things change. I would absolutely hate to lose Star Tours. Especially since they can keep updating and expanding it as new Star Wars media comes out. Losing it wouldn't be a tragedy on the level of Horizons or GMR, but it would certainly sting and would be a real shame.
I agree, honestly. I wouldn’t mind losing Star Tours in the long run, but DHS benefits immensely from its presence (and will especially after Star Wars Land opens), and it’s a shame that the next rumored E-Ticket on the horizon is yet another replacement. Use the budget to replace one of the dying shows around the park (literally take your pic), refurbish Fantasmic!, or something else instead.

If it does end up surviving the chopping block, I’d like to see the newer sequences removed eventually, and make it the park’s hub for the “in-between” trilogies like it was when the upgrade happened. There’s still a lot of planets and characters from between III and IV that can be mined without the time travel issue, and the ride can continue to give marketing wet dreams with a “new” Star Wars attraction every two years or so.

RSoxNo1

Story wise the current Star Tours doesn't fit in the context of the land, nor does it fit geographically within the land. Having said that, I could see them keeping it around because it serves the purpose of hitting all of the lands that people are more familiar with and it serves as a logical merchandise area for Star Wars fans as well. Comparatively, it wouldn't make sense story wise for merchandise in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge to feature characters on a t-shirt. If they really want Galaxy's Edge to be the truly immersive area than they can keep Star Tours as is and expand Tatooine Traders.

Movielover

Story wise the current Star Tours doesn't fit in the context of the land, nor does it fit geographically within the land. Having said that, I could see them keeping it around because it serves the purpose of hitting all of the lands that people are more familiar with and it serves as a logical merchandise area for Star Wars fans as well. Comparatively, it wouldn't make sense story wise for merchandise in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge to feature characters on a t-shirt. If they really want Galaxy's Edge to be the truly immersive area than they can keep Star Tours as is and expand Tatooine Traders.

It's also the same for the Jedi Training Academy. I highly doubt that they will move that to SW:GE because it too does not fit the theme of the land. I think too many people can't understand this and become shocked that anything Star Wars will be outside the land. Even at Universal they sell a lot of standard Harry Potter merchandise outside the 2 lands.

disnyfan89

It doesn't seem to cause any issues at Universal with WWoHP...

Frizzball

It doesn't seem to cause any issues at Universal with WWoHP...
I was there last month and I can't remember them selling any merchandise that featured characters faces. Everything was themed to things that witches and wizards could theoretically buy in universe. So while you could get things with the various houses on them you couldn't get a tshirt with harry's face.

disnyfan89

I was there last month and I can't remember them selling any merchandise that featured characters faces. Everything was themed to things that witches and wizards could theoretically buy in universe. So while you could get things with the various houses on them you couldn't get a tshirt with harry's face.

Maybe not Harry Potter but you can certainly find notable characters on their shirts.
P-Sirius-Black-Adult-T-Shirt-SEEN-THS-WZRD-T.JPG

P-Dobby-Half-Face-Adult-T-Shirt-HP-DOBBY-BF-TEE.JPG

P-Voldemort-and-Nagini-Adult-T-Shirt-DMNTRS-DRK-MIST.JPG

Father Robinson

Just read that as of Nov 17, Star Tours will be operating similar to Mission Space, whereas we will now have the option to experience the ride either with scenes and characters from episodes 1-6, or a different area which features scenes and character from episode 7 on.

Personally this change doesn't bother me. Seeing as how most of these characters existed in the SW universe years apart from one another, it would be strange to be immersed in scenes from each film in one experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom