Where in the World Isn't Bob Saget?

Songbird76

Have a great time!

Your nails are gorgeous. I don’t think I knew you were so crafty. I’m jealous. :)
Awww, thank you! I'm kind of a half-craft person...I can do some things pretty well, but I know many who are WAY better than I am. I won't be winning any awards with my crafts, but they aren't pinterest-fail worthy either. My mother was not crafty at all. She could crochet a straight line back and forth and that was the extent of her crafting...she hated doing anything that she couldn't finish in one sitting. So I never learned things like cross stitch or anything. And she made crocheted dish rags...that was it. My MIL is the one who is crafty...she sews, she quilts, she knits, she crochets, she makes cards. She's taught me the card making stuff, but the rest is lost on me. I can sew a straight line by hand and I know how to use a glue gun. But I don't usually attempt things if I'm not reasonably certain I will succeed. These were all pretty easy.

Songbird76

That’s enough out of you.

On a semi related note, Mike and I were just talking about this yesterday - we got married in 1993, but we had semi seriously considered Leap Year Day 1992. And it was even a Saturday. :joyfull:

(Even better, in Canada we do dates dd/mm/yy - so it would have been 29/2/92 - the numerical version of a palindrome.)
I love that you know the word Palindrome!!!

Songbird76

I've always assumed cul-de-sacs were like mini round-abouts. Mine is just the road coming to an end.
Ha!! You just reminded me of an episode of Gilmore Girls (my favorite series...so sad it ended. The remake was okay, but not like the original) where they are talking about plurals and Rory informs Lorelai that it's Culs-de-sac and then Lorelai starts adding the S to the middle of random words to make them plural, like Roomsmate. I will now never forget that it's culs-de-sac

Songbird76

The street is made so that it can eventually continue into open land someday when it gets developed, but they decided to develop a newer area of land that they purchased before expanding near us. So we've been here for 11 years, and we've never had anybody behind us, or to either side.
So....you have no neighbors to borrow a cup of sugar from?? I guess it has its upside...no noisy neighbors...and no having to be quiet.

Songbird76

We weren't whiners when I was in 7th grade. Juvenile delinquents, yes, but whiners, no.
I am not allowed to post the word for what my class was like in 7th grade. It would get censored, no matter which word I used. There aren't strong enough terms in the accepted vernacular.

Songbird76

Also, I try to avoid sugar with 1st graders. They're wound up enough without it.

Also, I don't know what happened between the time the went out for recess and the time they came back from lunch and PE, but it was a complete 180. They were amazing in the morning, and then this afternoon was terrible. Even the good ones were driving me nuts.
Did the weather change? Or maybe a full moon? I noticed big differences at certain times when I was teaching.

Songbird76

View attachment 239019 I'm enjoying the back and forth exchanges between posters re. getting students of a variety of ages to focus. At my teaching job...when I approach the 5th graders who are all gathered at side by side tables eating lunch....I get on the microphone and do a Call and Response:
Any of these......
5th Grade Band Director/Me: "Red Robin"
Students: "YUM"

or

Me: "Mona"
Students: " Lisa"

or

Me: "Strawberry"
Students: "Milkshake"

or

Me: "SNOOPY!"
Students: "Nice..nice.. daw-gee"

Please know that there is a certain rhythm or vocal inflection that I can't convey here. :):bookworm:
My favorite trick was "If you can hear my voice, clap once....if you can hear my voice, clap twice...if you can hear my voice, clap 3 times" and you do it quietly and until it's quiet. There's always at least one kid listening, so if that kid claps once, more kids shut up to figure out why that kid is clapping. It worked well. And then to get them lined up to leave the room, "One potato, two potato, three potato, four, if you <insert clothing or hair style here....(you're wearing polkadots... you have glasses,) line up at the door." Once in a while, I'd throw in something silly or gross, like "If you pick your nose and eat it, line up at the door." Obviously no one is copping to that! But it made them laugh.

SteveBrickNJ

@Songbird76 I like your 1st trick. I'll try that for sure. As a band director either I teach 2 to 4 kids at a time in lessons.....or...I have 70 students for full band practice. I'm not lining kids up at the door at lessons....I just dismiss them. I can imagine the classroom music teacher doing that though. Thanks for sharing :)

trr1

upload_2017-10-20_17-37-47.jpeg
brandied-fruit-sl-521039-x.jpg
mammography-day.jpg

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
RUSH = :happy: Never heard of the Tragically Hip until recently.
The Hip is huge to Canadians. They’ve been churning stuff out fairly consistently for 30+ years.

Like Dead-heads, fans followed The Hip from city to city. My youngest brother has probably been to a dozen or more shows. (He got his public urination charge at a concert in Detroit. :hilarious:) He also went to two of their final tour concerts.

Rush’s fans tend to be older now. Hip fans are middle aged and younger. Me, I like Air Supply.

Mike S

The Hip is huge to Canadians. They’ve been churning stuff out fairly consistently for 30+ years.

Like Dead-heads, fans followed The Hip from city to city. My youngest brother has probably been to a dozen or more shows. (He got his public urination charge at a concert in Detroit. :hilarious:) He also went to two of their final tour concerts.

Rush’s fans tend to be older now. Hip fans are middle aged and younger. Me, I like Air Supply.
I think everyone likes having air supply. Without it we’d choke and die.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom