Yelling at Your Kids at Disney

eliza61nyc

So let me say that my darling :rolleyes: 22 year old just got a $250 buck speeding ticket and when I said !! the child had the nerve to ask me
"why are you yelling"

Really?? I'm shelling out 12k in college tuition and you can't figure out what the problem is??

All I can say parenthood is not for the wimpy.

this kid will be lucky to see birthday #23 forget Disney

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So let me say that my darling :rolleyes: 22 year old just got a $250 buck speeding ticket and when I said ***!! the child had the nerve to ask me
"why are you yelling"

Really?? I'm shelling out 12k in college tuition and you can't figure out what the problem is??

Pay it yourself or go to the clink...!

But, I'm rather a hard nosed sort who thinks that children should start earning earnest money (not do your chores money or pay for grades money, but self-employment money) at about 12 - 13. :p

That said, I feel ya! Makes you want to shake your head...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So let me say that my darling :rolleyes: 22 year old just got a $250 buck speeding ticket and when I said ***!! the child had the nerve to ask me
"why are you yelling"

More importantly, who's paying his auto insurance?

eliza61nyc

More importantly, who's paying his auto insurance?

LOL Me, which I had to bash into little "Darlings" head.

Legally, he caught a huge "break". His aunt is an attorney and told him to go to court, and exactly what to say.
got the charge dropped to "'inattentive driving", no points and 100 fine.

At home he was not so lucky. lost use of car for a month, had to pay fine himself out of savings and will not be able to use car on weekends for a while.

eliza61nyc

Pay it yourself or go to the clink...!

But, I'm rather a hard nosed sort who thinks that children should start earning earnest money (not do your chores money or pay for grades money, but self-employment money) at about 12 - 13. :p

That said, I feel ya! Makes you want to shake your head...
lol
He did pay it himself which probably hurt him more. It's a bit harder for him to work part time because he's on an partial athletic scholarship, so he's got to be at practice and keeps his grades up.

I'd rather he do that then worry about a part time job only because he'll graduate with absolutely no student debt.

I laugh at those who have all these parenting "words of wisdom". there have been days where yelling at my kids at wdw would be the least of their problems.

LAKid53

Premium Member
LOL Me, which I had to bash into little "Darlings" head.

Legally, he caught a huge "break". His aunt is an attorney and told him to go to court, and exactly what to say.
got the charge dropped to "'inattentive driving", no points and 100 fine.

At home he was not so lucky. lost use of car for a month, had to pay fine himself out of savings and will not be able to use car on weekends for a while.

He (and you as bill payer) are lucky. A male that age with a speeding ticket probably would have seen an increase in his policy premium the next renewal.

LAKid53

Premium Member
lol
He did pay it himself which probably hurt him more. It's a bit harder for him to work part time because he's on an partial athletic scholarship, so he's got to be at practice and keeps his grades up.

I'd rather he do that then worry about a part time job only because he'll graduate with absolutely no student debt.

I laugh at those who have all these parenting "words of wisdom". there have been days where yelling at my kids at wdw would be the least of their problems.

My offspring can attest to that

KBLovedDisney

2-Let-your-customers-be-lazy.jpg

285849339_db067ef8ac_b.jpg

IMG_3879.JPG
o_O

Bender123

God...He there are parents keeping tabs n their kids and that's bad and I had the opposite problem...

My daughters are twin 12s and a 14 and some people got mad that we let them wander Epcot on their own while we went to La Cava for a drink and some chips. If your average teens cant handle themselves at Epcot without parental support at all times, then you have failed as a parent. Their favorite parts of our last trip was being released on their own in WS to see and do what they want and have a mini adventure. They got to use their snack credits on what they wanted and we ended up with a Sushi fan, a crème brulee fan and other fun diverse foods that I likely would not have thought they would be interested in.

The problem with posts like this is that each kid has a different maturity level and only the parents really know what that level is. I would gladly send of my twins together for a morning to the parks (they have no problem navigating the busses/monorails/boats), but I would not send one of them off alone, because she lives in her own world and her sisters keeps her in check very well. There are other parents who might think their kids cant handle it on their own. Outside the swearing at/screaming parents, its pretty much impossible to accurately judge a parent at a theme park.

LAKid53

Premium Member
God...He there are parents keeping tabs n their kids and that's bad and I had the opposite problem...

My daughters are twin 12s and a 14 and some people got mad that we let them wander Epcot on their own while we went to La Cava for a drink and some chips. If your average teens cant handle themselves at Epcot without parental support at all times, then you have failed as a parent. Their favorite parts of our last trip was being released on their own in WS to see and do what they want and have a mini adventure. They got to use their snack credits on what they wanted and we ended up with a Sushi fan, a crème brulee fan and other fun diverse foods that I likely would not have thought they would be interested in.

The problem with posts like this is that each kid has a different maturity level and only the parents really know what that level is. I would gladly send of my twins together for a morning to the parks (they have no problem navigating the busses/monorails/boats), but I would not send one of them off alone, because she lives in her own world and her sisters keeps her in check very well. There are other parents who might think their kids cant handle it on their own. Outside the swearing at/screaming parents, its pretty much impossible to accurately judge a parent at a theme park.

I agree. If you cannot trust a 12 or 14 year old to wander around WS for an hour or so without getting into trouble, then you've not done your job as a parent. Do you let them go to a movie unaccompanied? Do they go to the mall without you? Aren't 14 year olds babysitting? I was riding my horse in the canyons above LA without a parent well before the age of 12. And we rode our bikes to the Peninsula Center before that age too.

NelleBelle

We plan to let our 14 and (almost 12) yo DSs go off on their own for a bit at the parks if they want. They both have phones and the 14 yo is bigger than my DH. I remember when I was 14 my parents would drop me and my friends of at 6 Flags and we'd be there for the whole day by ourselves. At some point, my kids needs to start doing some things on their own. But what's good for my kids may not work for others.

StarWarsGirl

And you will be shocked, just shocked, at the words that come out of your mouth....in your mother's voice.
I have a brother. He's six years younger than me and has autism. This has already happened to me. I'm scared if I have children that I will sound even MORE like my mother :hilarious:

StarWarsGirl

Once, we were heading out for The Country Bear Jamboree, which was getting ready to begin. As I walked in, there was a little kid walking out, probably way to young to know she was astray from her mother. Suddenly, a women jumps in front of the door, firmly grabs the girl by the arm, and yells, "Do not run off like that! You almost gave me stroke!" Ok, I see two things wrong with this.
My younger brother once wandered away in that exact spot. That mother probably was terrified. You don't realize how scary that is until it actually happens. It may have been an honest mistake (which was the case of my brother), but for the mother, those three minutes were probably an eternity. She wasn't angry so much as she was scared out of her mind.

I don't know if you have animals, but for me, since I don't have kids, this is how I view it: imagine your pet got lost. You can't find her. You panic because you don't know where she is. You find that she got stuck in a closet and was ignoring you. Of course you yell when you find her, not that she can understand any of this. Now multiply those emotions times 100, and that's about what that mother was experiencing. Maybe,could have been even worse. Not being a parent myself, I try to be understanding while realizing I probably don't fully understand.

Also, if you ever get a kitten, check all closet doors before you close them to make sure there are no intruders.

spock8113

We were once online at Norway and there, sitting on the floor
was a kid playing video games on is own tablet.
Another guy was talking business for 30 minutes while waiting to get into Dinosaur.
Priorities. Why be there at all?

You are paying alot to be there,
lift your head up and put down the tablets and cell phones!
Spend some quality time with your family and friends and you may find a little less to yell about.

PS-when my daughter was 8, we were running to catch the tram in the Disney Parking lot.
She tripped over my foot and landed on the concrete with 2 bloody knees.
We patched her up at First Aid and 30 years later she still carries the scars, literally and figuratively.
Was a great day for her anyhow!

NelleBelle

We were once online at Norway and there, sitting on the floor
was a kid playing video games on is own tablet.
Another guy was talking business for 30 minutes while waiting to get into Dinosaur.
Priorities. Why be there at all?

You are paying alot to be there,
lift your head up and put down the tablets and cell phones!
Spend some quality time with your family and friends and you may find a little less to yell about.

PS-when my daughter was 8, we were running to catch the tram in the Disney Parking lot.
She tripped over my foot and landed on the concrete with 2 bloody knees.
We patched her up at First Aid and 30 years later she still carries the scars, literally and figuratively.
Was a great day for her anyhow!
I'd rather see a kid on a tablet who is quiet than hear a kid who is constantly whining (and then hear him get yelled at). As for the parent doing "business" on his phone...maybe it's the only way he was able to join his family on vacation was to occasionally take a business phone call. I know my DH occasionally will be on-call during family events--would rather have him with us than not. Frankly, if I notice this type of thing, I tell myself, "not my family, not my place to judge."

Frizzball

When I went to DW for the first time as a kid me and my brother were the children being screamed at. To make it an even worse situation a police officer got involved and my dad nearly got arrested which is always fun.

He'd paid extra money to get us tickets for Disney Quest because my brother begged for it but when we got there, there was a dinosaur painted on the side and my brother REFUSED to go in because it looked too scary. I don't think my dad has ever been so angry and I kind of understand. We didn't have a lot of money growing up and this was probably only the second holiday we'd ever been on (I was 8, he was 10) and the tickets for Disney Quest weren't exactly cheap. Then I started crying because a Disney police officer came over with a visible gun and threatened to arrest my Dad because someone else in the line had decided to be a moronic busy body and report that my Dad was 'abusing us'.

S 2

So, as I'm typing this, I'm getting ready to leave for my last day at Disney world, and I'll be fair when I say that some of the guests are horrible. But, the ones that are the most annoying and the most attention grabbing are the parents that yell at there kids.

Kid has some sort of issue.
Parent gets a bit snappy.
Kid cries.
Parent begins to yell.

That's how it works. Basically, these people are making a bigger fuss than their kids are. I can get past a kid crying. It happens. But I'm not use to seeing fully-grown men and women yell at their kids because they're crying. I mean, they don't know any better? It's like telling a dog not to eat your food. Your dog doesn't know what you're saying, thus he/she doesn't know any better.

Once, we were heading out for The Country Bear Jamboree, which was getting ready to begin. As I walked in, there was a little kid walking out, probably way to young to know she was astray from her mother. Suddenly, a women jumps in front of the door, firmly grabs the girl by the arm, and yells, "Do not run off like that! You almost gave me stroke!" Ok, I see two things wrong with this.

1. Your kid walked off, that's scary, but did it really almost give you stroke?
2. A kid walking is not the attention of the spotlight. This women yelling at her kid so everyone can hear at the entrance to a ride, blocking everyone from entering, is stealing the spotlight.

As we were walking into the Haunted Mansion, I heard two voices. I hear a young kid say, "Is The Haunted Mansion going to be scary?" Following that was a adult, female voice saying, "It's not going to be scary." In all honesty, I think she knew that it was going to be scary for a younger kid. I really think she just wanted to ride it. My mother also told me about one kid who was literally bawling in the stretching room, and the parents still wanted to ride. For those of you who don't know, there is an exit in the stretching room, and it is made for kids who are too scared. It's pretty visible, too. XD
This post made me squirm. I can't believe this is what you chose to do on your last day. This post seemed more like an attention grabbing tantrum than a parent who raises their voice out of fear of losing their kid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom