News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyernmost

Just so you know, those cable lines are rendered in Google Earth Pro. They follow the path of the gondola stations as indicated by permit filings. Their height was made to clear the tree line. All the other 3D objects in GEP were created with laser imaging and photography guided by GPS. Then, GEP allows one to move within the 3D rendering and see what one would see in real life.

So, not my imagination. But I'd venture to say a pretty accurate rendering based on science, technology, theory of relativity, computer science, math, and a very educated guess. The only wild card is where the intermediary towers will be... which would only make the view... less aesthetic... and create more hairs caught on fire.
Except that real trees grow and what is there now or when Google took the picture, measurement, etc. may not be a factor later. We cannot be influenced by speculation, google or otherwise. When it is real, then we have a solid factual thing to look at and determine just how much shows or doesn't. Or what trees may be planted during and after construction that might completely hid everything not only from in park guests, but, also riders on the Gondola. Reality is fact... anything else is guessing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Except that real trees grow and what is there now or when Google took the picture, measurement, etc. may not be a factor later. We cannot be influenced by speculation, google or otherwise. When it is real, then we have a solid factual thing to look at and determine just how much shows or doesn't. Or what trees may be planted during and after construction that might completely hid everything not only from in park guests, but, also riders on the Gondola. Reality is fact... anything else is guessing.

OK, then. We're going to over here and making what we think are good and educated guesses and discussing it. You can be over there and not.

GCTales

Then why bother discussing anything or even reading a rumor forum?

We don't know what, exactly, any of the final products will look like.... Even the concept art released by Disney doesn't EXACTLY show what the final product will be like.

Half the fun of this forum is to trry to "look into the Disney mind" (so to speak) and try to figure out what they are or will be doing.

So far @MisterPenguin and others have done a pretty good job. So what if it isn't perfect? It gives us a pretty good picture of the future. In fact, the early on layout posted on here matched what Disney released at D23.

As for sight lines, well, of course the current state shown in Google dies not represent what the final view may be, but it is a good approximation an I bet Disney did something similar in their planning (more detailed and accurate because, well.. They had all the details).

(Walks over to discuss gondola derails with @MisterPenguin)

Goofyernmost

Then why bother discussing anything or even reading a rumor forum?

We don't know what, exactly, any of the final products will look like.... Even the concept art released by Disney doesn't EXACTLY show what the final product will be like.

Half the fun of this forum is to trry to "look into the Disney mind" (so to speak) and try to figure out what they are or will be doing.

So far @MisterPenguin and others have done a pretty good job. So what if it isn't perfect? It gives us a pretty good picture of the future. In fact, the early on layout posted on here matched what Disney released at D23.

As for sight lines, well, of course the current state shown in Google dies not represent what the final view may be, but it is a good approximation an I bet Disney did something similar in their planning (more detailed and accurate because, well.. They had all the details).

(Walks over to discuss gondola derails with @MisterPenguin)
I am not saying not to discuss it and express opinions one way or the other, but, within two posts it was slamming Disney for something that hasn't happened yet and is just speculation. Insulting imagineers for something that we really only have a guess about what might happen. Cheap, uncaring, imagineers not even discussing it among themselves, poor leadership, and it goes on and on. Over a photo shopped image that may or may not be correct based on what things looked like (possibly) at the time. It isn't an educated guess it is just a guess based on possibilities. It is not fact it is pure unadulterated fiction. Talk about all you like, I don't care about that, I do a lot of talking myself, but, I hate this instant insulting nature of posters over something that has not happened in reality yet. That is my concern. Talk about it as if you already know the outcome, be angry over something that is still just in ones imagination. But insult and blame others because you THINK this is what it will be, is a waste of cyberspace. I even said that it might or might not be true, but, right now, in real time, it has not happened and we have no way of knowing the minor detail that encompass every build in the parks. How is it alright to righteously be so dismissive of something that doesn't even exists.

BTW, I wasn't planning on even coming back to this topic because of the foolish blame battle over this, so stop quoting me and I will stop attempting to burst your hate bubble. Draw me back in and I will respond. Call it a personality disorder and blame my childhood if it will make you feel better.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I am not saying not to discuss it and express opinions one way or the other, but, within two posts it was slamming Disney for something that hasn't happened yet and is just speculation. Insulting imagineers for something that we really only have a guess about what might happen. Cheap, uncaring, imagineers not even discussing it among themselves, poor leadership, and it goes on and on. Over a photo shopped image that may or may not be correct based on what things looked like (possibly) at the time. It isn't an educated guess it is just a guess based on possibilities. It is not fact it is pure unadulterated fiction. Talk about all you like, I don't care about that, I do a lot of talking myself, but, I hate this instant insulting nature of posters over something that has not happened in reality yet. That is my concern. Talk about it as if you already know the outcome, be angry over something that is still just in ones imagination. But insult and blame others because you THINK this is what it will be, is a waste of cyberspace. I even said that it might or might not be true, but, right now, in real time, it has not happened and we have no way of knowing the minor detail that encompass every build in the parks. How is it alright to righteously be so dismissive of something that doesn't even exists.

BTW, I wasn't planning on even coming back to this topic because of the foolish blame battle over this, so stop quoting me and I will stop attempting to burst your hate bubble. Draw me back in and I will respond. Call it a personality disorder and blame my childhood if it will make you feel better.
Wasn't your childhood before gondolas and lightning had been invented ? ;)

lazyboy97o

You’re the only one obsessed with that image. Nobody else thinks it was serious. Knowing the FACT that Disney uses NDAs and is serious about them is not slamming Disney nor is it even unique to Disney. And yes, that means keeping project information within the project team. You accuse others of not living in reality while ranting on and on about an issue you have concocted in your mind.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This seems the most logical and simplest plan to handle the security changes.

Which way does the skyliner enter? I think it comes from the right in this picture, but not certain.

Yes, from the right/east.

upload_2017-9-27_17-36-54.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It always amazes me that someone can put up a picture, self made, within their imagination, of what they think it might look like and so many people start to criticize the thing that doesn't even exist yet. Instead of being critical of the depiction itself in all its homemade glory and cutouts to show forced perspective and elevations they get upset with Disney and management for making such a colossal mistake in engineering imagineering. And now we even know someone that has such an insider situation that he knows what the imagineers talk about amongst themselves.

I have an idea, why not wait until thin air and guesses are replaced by something real and then be opinionated about reality and not just someone elses thought. It could be correct or it might not be, we will see with time. What would upset me the most would be the obvious cost cutting measures of doing all the landscaping with badly cut out pictures of trees and bushes. For $100.00 a day we should at the very least get plastic one. The Dollar store has whole walls full of cheap, plastic foliage.
My comment that you quoted was in reference to the general issues that Disney has with these types of construction projects. What @lazyboy97o said is pretty well documented, there is an inefficient organization structure including too many layers of bureaucracy that leads to inefficiency and sometimes cost overruns. It's often the case that some departments don't communicate well with the rest of the organization and one group doesn't know what the other is working on. There are many first person accounts from current and former employees on this including even a few books published with reference to these issues. You don't need to wait for the gondola project to be done to acknowledge that dynamic exists. I agree that whether or not there will be sight issues is yet to be seen, but that doesn't make any of the rest of the discussion invalid.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, October 6. Tree removal complete on the patch of land in front of Hollywood Studios entrance in preparation for gondola station construction.

IMG_0119.JPG

A fence is about to be installed around the land for the gondola turn pylon near the intersection of Buena Visa Drive and Epcot Resort road near the Boardwalk. This view is from the Boardwalk/Hollywood Studios walkway by the canal. Buena Visa Drive is on the hill on the right. The Boardwalk parking lot is behind the trees on the left.

IMG_0121.JPG

Pixieish

My comment that you quoted was in reference to the general issues that Disney has with these types of construction projects. What @lazyboy97o said is pretty well documented, there is an inefficient organization structure including too many layers of bureaucracy that leads to inefficiency and sometimes cost overruns. It's often the case that some departments don't communicate well with the rest of the organization and one group doesn't know what the other is working on. There are many first person accounts from current and former employees on this including even a few books published with reference to these issues. You don't need to wait for the gondola project to be done to acknowledge that dynamic exists. I agree that whether or not there will be sight issues is yet to be seen, but that doesn't make any of the rest of the discussion invalid.

Infighting is why Disney Infinity got canceled. No one could agree on anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom