News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

KCheatle

I got a notice yesterday to update my lyft app. I was excited becasuse I assumed this meant that it was for the Minnie Van addition. I tried to plug in a pick up at Beach Club to MK, but it didn't come up with a Minnie Van option? Do you have to actually be on property for it to work?

Also, I will definitely use Minnie Van from BC to MK because it drops you off at the bus stop. I am pretty sure that Uber and Lyft cannot take you that close. They would have to either leave you at one of the mono resorts or the TTC. Since we like to be there are rope drop, I much prefer the ease of just taking a Minnie Van straight up to the bus stop instead of worrying about what time the monos operate or having to hike to the back of the resorts to catch a boat. I don't think I'll use it for anything else, though. I'll just use regular uber or lyft.

Biff215

I got a notice yesterday to update my lyft app. I was excited becasuse I assumed this meant that it was for the Minnie Van addition. I tried to plug in a pick up at Beach Club to MK, but it didn't come up with a Minnie Van option? Do you have to actually be on property for it to work?

Also, I will definitely use Minnie Van from BC to MK because it drops you off at the bus stop. I am pretty sure that Uber and Lyft cannot take you that close. They would have to either leave you at one of the mono resorts or the TTC. Since we like to be there are rope drop, I much prefer the ease of just taking a Minnie Van straight up to the bus stop instead of worrying about what time the monos operate or having to hike to the back of the resorts to catch a boat. I don't think I'll use it for anything else, though. I'll just use regular uber or lyft.
I read earlier today that to use the Lyft app the resort has to enable it on your phone, currently only at BC, YC, and BW. I'm sure this is to restrict usage to those resorts for now during testing, and that it will work for everyone then.

I see this working best when you're short on time for a reservation and/or heading to a resort or water park. We probably wouldn't use Uber or Lyft, so this is a nice alternative to a taxi. At least you know the exact cost before you use it and know it's a Disney CM.

disneygeek90

I was walking out of AK on Sunday and saw this to the left of the exit. Don’t know if they were just testing or waiting for their passengers, but it was cool to see in person!

CAR1.JPG
car2.JPG

Jeffxz

To get to the MK with Uber or Lyft just ask to go to the contemporary. The driver can let you out just past the security gates. It's a short walk across the street and you are almost as close as the bus stop.

JoFu

In one of the videos a CM/driver was saying in what they call campus resorts they would drop off/pickup closer to the room. Anyone with inside information know if that means for the campsites (once it's out of the limited availability for BC/YC/BW) they will pick-up and drop-off from your campsite? I only recently got a big class A motorhome and I'll be staying at the campsites for the first time in September (usually stay at the Grand Floridian), but it does look like transportation will be a concern. Right now my thoughts are to drive my jeep to the parks and not use transportation, but if this goes to the campsite for pick-up/drop-off I would totally pay $20/trip.

PrincessNelly_NJ

In one of the videos a CM/driver was saying in what they call campus resorts they would drop off/pickup closer to the room. Anyone with inside information know if that means for the campsites (once it's out of the limited availability for BC/YC/BW) they will pick-up and drop-off from your campsite? I only recently got a big class A motorhome and I'll be staying at the campsites for the first time in September (usually stay at the Grand Floridian), but it does look like transportation will be a concern. Right now my thoughts are to drive my jeep to the parks and not use transportation, but if this goes to the campsite for pick-up/drop-off I would totally pay $20/trip.
Seems like it. It would be pretty inconvenient for guest at campus resorts to have to be dropped off at a central point and then transfer to a internal bus or walk. Uber and Lyft currently drop off and pick up at your nearest bldg, as long at it has access for them to drive up to you.

Biff215

Any updates on where they are in rolling this out? We get there in 10 days and hope it might be an option on water park days, or when (always) running late for a reservation.

TrojanUSC

Any updates on where they are in rolling this out? We get there in 10 days and hope it might be an option on water park days, or when (always) running late for a reservation.

If not available, just use Uber to water parks or a resort. Will probably be cheaper in the end. The main benefits of Minnievan is the access that Uber doesn't get (Magic Kingdom Main Entrance, drop-off to your building at any of the campus-style resorts, etc).

Biff215

If not available, just use Uber to water parks or a resort. Will probably be cheaper in the end. The main benefits of Minnievan is the access that Uber doesn't get (Magic Kingdom Main Entrance, drop-off to your building at any of the campus-style resorts, etc).
I would but my wife never would, so it seems this service is at least partially designed for us. I know it would cost twice as much, but it's not worth the argument. ;)

I'm surprised we haven't heard more yet about this. Seems like the rollout has been a little slow IMO.

Bolt

I would but my wife never would, so it seems this service is at least partially designed for us. I know it would cost twice as much, but it's not worth the argument. ;)

I'm surprised we haven't heard more yet about this. Seems like the rollout has been a little slow IMO.
I wouldn't call it slow, more it's exclusive. Only resort guests can participate so I assume they don't want to blast it to the public and have them assume they can show up to lobbies and use the service to get around to the parks.

Biff215

I wouldn't call it slow, more it's exclusive. Only resort guests can participate so I assume they don't want to blast it to the public and have them assume they can show up to lobbies and use the service to get around to the parks.
Gotcha. Has it moved beyond the original few test resorts? I haven't heard anything, we'll be staying at the Poly next week and would likely use it a couple times if available.

Jeffxz

Uber/Lyft will drop off or pick you up at any building in a resort (if there is a road to get there). You just need to make sure to manually drop the pin where you want to go and not just take the search result.

TrojanUSC

Genuinely curious why she would be opposed to something that's easier/cheaper than a slow, understaffed bus service - assuming cost isn't a factor, which you indicate it's not?

Biff215

Genuinely curious why she would be opposed to something that's easier/cheaper than a slow, understaffed bus service - assuming cost isn't a factor, which you indicate it's not?
Just someone not into ride sharing, especially with our kids. It's not used much where we live either, so no real experience with it. I've gone through the safety statistics with her, but I respect her feelings toward it so I moved on.

We won't use the Minnie Van much, but I'm hoping it will be an option from the Poly next week if and when we need it. I know it's not much different than the other options, but Disney vehicles/CM's do change the perception for those against ride sharing.

TrojanUSC

Just someone not into ride sharing, especially with our kids. It's not used much where we live either, so no real experience with it. I've gone through the safety statistics with her, but I respect her feelings toward it so I moved on.

We won't use the Minnie Van much, but I'm hoping it will be an option from the Poly next week if and when we need it. I know it's not much different than the other options, but Disney vehicles/CM's do change the perception for those against ride sharing.

Ah I see. Uber is great in that their drivers all have pretty good background checks done and passengers must rate their drivers on a star system, if it dips below 4.5* they are kicked out of the system all together. It works well and out of hundreds of rides I've never once had an issue with a driver. From a safety perspective, you are belted in with proper child seats if needed, on a bus there is no such safety equipment making the whole experience a riskier endeavor. Anyways, it's good to see there is an audience for this Minnievan service.

JoFu

Uber/Lyft will drop off or pick you up at any building in a resort (if there is a road to get there). You just need to make sure to manually drop the pin where you want to go and not just take the search result.

Are you sure of that, I assumed they wouldn't me let past the gates. If they are, do you know if they can get to individual sites at the camp sites?

TrojanUSC

Are you sure of that, I assumed they wouldn't me let past the gates. If they are, do you know if they can get to individual sites at the camp sites?

No, they can't. Still have to take the bus, which seems like a silly rule to me. Minnievan should be able to, though.

Jeffxz

I've never camped so I'm not sure about that, it looks like others say no.

I've used uber/lyft many times over the last 2 years, at CBR, Poly, and Saratoga and I've never had a problem with uber picking up at my building. For drop-off back at your resort, you can just hand the driver your magic band to swipe in and they can drop you off any where that cars can legally travel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom