News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

NearTheEars

Chyahh... it was used as I described for the 2016 Halloween and Christmas parties. I was there for both. So... largely correct.

I think what they meant to say is that it wasn't built specifically for the Halloween and Christmas parties. That's just among its uses.

I've never been to a party, but I've enjoyed several expedited jaunts down the bypass.

Kman101

I've only read 'bits and pieces' of this thread (so what I say may have been said by others), so...

1. There is NO QUESTION (IMHO) that this is meant to attract people to visit. This isn't just to give people something to do. In their minds there is already something for you to do.... buy food, beverages, and plush. They wouldn't spend $$$ on a long show in a nice looking theatre that uses precious executive parking unless it was meant to attract visits.

2. This seems like the best thing to have been announced at D23 (and this is coming from someone who doesn't find these kind of shows interesting). A quality offering that provides a genuine need that doesn't displace another attraction. If they follow through with this*, it makes you feel good even if you don't personally enjoy it. It's very presence adds class & quality.

3. My guess is that the bypass from Center St to Tony's will become permanently open, where the theatre will end up. I'm guessing the north part will remain a bypass.

4. I'm guessing as well that 'New Street' won't simply house the theatre. If they can fit retail back there (even if it's kiosks) it will be there.

* - Wall Street (unlike in the past) wants stuff added in the parks, so it makes the D23 stuff much more likely to happen then stuff that ended up in coffee table books. Worst case scenario would be if *new research* tells them that it won't drive additional attendance and in fact gives people less store time (which might cause them to 'Hyperian Wharf' the project).

LOL

You think people are going to flock to the park because they built a new theater space? It's very much needed and will help a lot with capacity.

TrojanUSC

Chyahh... it was used as I described for the 2016 Halloween and Christmas parties. I was there for both. So... largely correct.

That is certainly a secondary benefit of the built-out. However, Disney has had a bypass in that route for peak nights for decades - it was previous unthemed with some potted plants and shrubbery to obstruct the backstage views. It required a good amount of labor to build/take-down each time they wanted to use it. That was the largely purpose for this - to have the option available whenever it was necessary at a moment's notice.

dreamscometrue

I found downloading Google Earth and clicking the clock button at the top will give the most recent imagery. It shows the bypass as being paved and trees planted. Oh and the hub is the current design and not the previous version. Maps and Earth in browser show old imagery.
mVWxZxI.jpg

You can do the same thing thru the browser google maps by clicking on the burger at the top left and turning 3D off, this gives you the latest satellite imagery

Thanks for both of those tips. :)

mm121

So - if the bypass sort of becomes "Main Street 2", requiring a new bypass....
Would this then be a double-bypass? :). Credit to my dear wife for the horrible pun :).
They could just use the west side unthemed bypass like they sometimes do now, maybe one day it will become themed too

That is certainly a secondary benefit of the built-out. However, Disney has had a bypass in that route for peak nights for decades - it was previous unthemed with some potted plants and shrubbery to obstruct the backstage views. It required a good amount of labor to build/take-down each time they wanted to use it. That was the largely purpose for this - to have the option available whenever it was necessary at a moment's notice.
it was horrible show, the way the west side one is when they use it, heck the west side one they dont even bother with planters sometimes

its really too bad they never just finished the original vision of making main street an actual neighborhood with multiple streets

Goob

Isn't Tokyo Disneyland's "Main Street" like that? With multiple streets? I know it's covered. Correct?

TDL is high on my bucket list, so one day I hope to see for myself.

Mike730

I'm also in the camp that expects the south side and center street to be open to the theater, while the north gate remains closed for bypass use only.

Cesar R M

google maps always runs a few years behind

but this project does explain why they didnt go "over the top" when building the bypass

they arent giving up anything, this isnt going in the current theatre space this is a new build
It all depends on how important and/or popular the area is.
They use mostly planes now for updating the maps (mostly commercial planes with cameras on their bellies).
Thats why certain cities and countries get way more updates.

Yeah, they made that bypass guest-ready because they use that as a special entrance for the ticketed events. You can get your first bag of Halloween candy or Christmas cookies there.

Which gets me thinking... this bypass is so that guests coming in for the ticketed party aren't crashing into the guests leaving. But if this bypass gets closed down in order to construct the new theater and add better facades all around, then what is WDW to do?

Push out the day-guests an hour earlier. Which is what they'll do starting with the Christmas parties.
Solution, make yet another bypass ;)

also, building a new theatre would really block the bypass?

lazyboy97o

Isn't Tokyo Disneyland's "Main Street" like that? With multiple streets? I know it's covered. Correct?

TDL is high on my bucket list, so one day I hope to see for myself.
Yes, World Bazaar is covered. It has a Main Street that runs from the entrance to the Central Plaza and Center Street which cuts across connecting Adventureland and Tomorrowland.

Obobru

FYI Broadway Music theater Hosts ton of Shows and Seasonal Shows. Tell me Again why its boring.... Have you ever been there. and have you seen Valentine Nights,Tanabata days ,Encore and BBB? Well i guess You don't know what TDR entertainment roster has to offer.
If I hadn't been there and seen it I wouldn't be commenting on it. I am not like half the morons here who say they love or hate something when they haven't seen it. The show is dull it has some poor quality singers and is a poor attempt at shoehorning a few characters into a mediocre cruise ship style big band show. I can't comment on the other shows I haven't seen them and I don't see what relivance they are to my comment which was about a specific show not every show TDR have staged.

Last edited:

rael ramone

LOL

You think people are going to flock to the park because they built a new theater space? It's very much needed and will help a lot with capacity.

If they cared about 'capacity' from a ride/attraction standpoint they wouldn't be closing down TGMR and would put the Mickey ride in the Animation area instead...

It is meant to entice people to go. 'Here is a new offering that isn't a thrill ride, but a classy show for the whole family'. It won't drive attendance like SWL will or HP did for Uni. But it is certainly not 'filler'. They aren't going to build something like this on a new piece of land for something that would be classified by them as a 'distraction'. Whether it 'works' is another matter. (Though the more I think of it, it draws more people to Main Street, and more importantly to them, Main Street Plush).

DrewmanS

If they cared about 'capacity' from a ride/attraction standpoint they wouldn't be closing down TGMR and would put the Mickey ride in the Animation area instead...

It is meant to entice people to go. 'Here is a new offering that isn't a thrill ride, but a classy show for the whole family'. It won't drive attendance like SWL will or HP did for Uni. But it is certainly not 'filler'. They aren't going to build something like this on a new piece of land for something that would be classified by them as a 'distraction'. Whether it 'works' is another matter. (Though the more I think of it, it draws more people to Main Street, and more importantly to them, Main Street Plush).

Tron will draw more people to an already crowded park. The theatre will provide extra capacity to the park without significantly increasing attendance. So, they are adding a "short" ride that will have a long standby line and a theatre with a shorter wait and longer show. I don't think its just a coincidence that both attractions are being added to the park. They offset each other from a capacity standpoint.

jt04

Tron will draw more people to an already crowded park. The theatre will provide extra capacity to the park without significantly increasing attendance. So, they are adding a "short" ride that will have a long standby line and a theatre with a shorter wait and longer show. I don't think its just a coincidence that both attractions are being added to the park. They offset each other from a capacity standpoint.

Diamond Horeshoe would help too.

EricsBiscuit

Diamond Horeshoe would help too.
Diamond Horshoe is a hidden gem right now. They are a table service restaurant that serves family style like Garden Grille or Liberty Tree Tavern. I love the food there so much that we eat there several times annually.

Biff215

Diamond Horshoe is a hidden gem right now. They are a table service restaurant that serves family style like Garden Grille or Liberty Tree Tavern. I love the food there so much that we eat there several times annually.
Hope you're using DDP. The times I've checked it I was shocked at the price. I assume this exists primarily for free dining so there's an easier reservation to go drop a credit at.

Not sure this theater actually helps Main Street shopping unless they add some to the bypass. This is all about capacity which I'm fine with as long as the shows are good.

Next Big Thing

its really too bad they never just finished the original vision of making main street an actual neighborhood with multiple streets
As much as we want these things as fans, we have to take into account that park ops also needs these areas in order to do their jobs.

The East bypass they are able to theme up a bit and use frequently because they have so much extra backstage space behind that walkway... on the West side, they have very little space beyond the parking lot that you walk through. If you were to run hog wild, you'd end up in the Jungle cruise fairly quickly bc of how close it is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom