News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Kamikaze

I agree it won't be Aladdin but I don't think the Broadway production has anything to do with it. Having or planning Broadway shows has never stopped them before from doing park based shows on the same IP.

It was one of the reasons they ended the Aladdin show at DCA. To capitalize on Frozen was part of it, but it was so it wouldn't be confused with the Broadway show.

These (if this is indeed WDW's version of the Hyperion) are far above any other show at WDW/DLR so they can't really be compared to others. You wouldn't compare FotLK and Lion King on Broadway - they aren't on the same level. I'd say Aladdin at DCA is just a shorter version of the Broadway play that can be run multiple times a day (meaning less budget).

mm121

Its really a shame they removed the original Tomorrowland Theatre.
didnt this theatre leave the audience out in the hot sun though? with simple metal bleachers?

dont think it was a big loss, though its surprising its taken so long to replace it with something better

peter11435

It was one of the reasons they ended the Aladdin show at DCA. To capitalize on Frozen was part of it, but it was so it wouldn't be confused with the Broadway show.

These (if this is indeed WDW's version of the Hyperion) are far above any other show at WDW/DLR so they can't really be compared to others. You wouldn't compare FotLK and Lion King on Broadway - they aren't on the same level. I'd say Aladdin at DCA is just a shorter version of the Broadway play that can be run multiple times a day (meaning less budget).
They are creating a frozen Broadway show

Cesar R M

So, if they open this in the area of the bypass, does this means the bypass will now be opened all the time and will have other things as well?

jt04

Since people are making suggestions, I would like to have a theater that can function in different ways during the day. Live performances have limited showings by necessity. So perhaps it could alternate between those and something like Philharmagic.

aprincessatlasst

Not sure if this was mentioned but wonder if it will be like Mickey and the Magician in DL Paris? The show there is well done and the theater is packed. It reminded me a lot of DCL type shows. I would think they would stick to a Mickey centric theme at first as it is Main Street and call me crazy but that screams Walt.

ETA: wouldn't that be neat if they did a Walt storyline kind of like a period piece...starting in the 20's with mickey, then Snow white..etc. There really is a lot they could do outside of Aladdin and Frozen.

aladdin2007

So, if they open this in the area of the bypass, does this means the bypass will now be opened all the time and will have other things as well?

wondering the same because when a show lets out, I can't imagine the massive flood of people cattle driven through one small area onto main street, its bad enough as it is in general.

SweetDuffy101

I hope it's more like Golden Mickey's from HK and a lot less like Big Band Beat at Tokyo DisneySea one of the most boring shows I have ever seen.
FYI Broadway Music theater Hosts ton of Shows and Seasonal Shows. Tell me Again why its boring.... Have you ever been there. and have you seen Valentine Nights,Tanabata days ,Encore and BBB? Well i guess You don't know what TDR entertainment roster has to offer.

mm121

thats the million dollar question

would be nice if they made it an actual street with shops and things, but i highly doubt they will

they'll probably just have it open during show time and as a bypass as needed

No Name

One qualm about the design... why couldn't it look more like the actual Willis Wood Theater, with a bigger facade that covers the entire front of the building?

Compare the two, which looks better? Which fits Main Street more?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ours is also missing quite a few details. But hey, at least we are getting this. In a sea of questionable decisions, this as a huge positive, in my opinion.

I hope they theme the backs of the Main Street buildings well too.

lazyboy97o

One qualm about the design... why couldn't it look more like the actual Willis Wood Theater, with a bigger facade that covers the entire front of the building?

Compare the two, which looks better? Which fits Main Street more?

View attachment 219230
View attachment 219231
Ours is also missing quite a few details. But hey, at least we are getting this. In a sea of questionable decisions, this as a huge positive, in my opinion.

I hope they theme the backs of the Main Street buildings well too.
In terms of Neoclassical composition, a wider facade could look off. Although I think the proportions of the Disney design look off, looking squashed vertically and stretched horizontally. While there were different rules put forth over the centuries, the focus on proportion in Classical revivals gives the public a strong familiarity with these relationships that contemporary designs seem to some how miss and/or ignore.

The model may just be missing ornamentation that is still intended either due to it still being early in the design process and/or a decision not to model all such elements because they are resource intensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom