News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

jcraycraft

As a long time WDW fan, not sure about how I feel about Skyliner project. I know a lot of smarter, more informed people have worked on this project, but how are they going to handle bad weather? Will it keep running during lightening storms, high winds, seems like a lot of down time in its future.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
As a long time WDW fan, not sure about how I feel about Skyliner project. I know a lot of smarter, more informed people have worked on this project, but how are they going to handle bad weather? Will it keep running during lightening storms, high winds, seems like a lot of down time in its future.

Wind shouldn't be a problem, they use these things to take people up mountains. I know lightning has been discussed but I don't recall the conclusion on it. We just need to remember that this is not some new cutting edge system, these have existed for years all over the world so Disney is well aware of how they handle various weather conditions.

Last edited:

John park hopper

It may have been covered in earlier posts and I missed it. What is the capacity of the gondolas and how many people can it transport in say an hour from the resorts to the parks?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Map (Pop station is actually in the middle of the bridge):

upload_2017-7-16_9-7-44.png

Fly-through (which I hope to update by tonight with all the new stuffs):

invader

Is anyone actually 100% sure the characters will be on the Skyliner vehicles? Sort of looks like they're just showing how people would ride in them.

If you look at the image released with the four colors the one with Mickey and Minnie has a different graphic than the other rendering that shows the POV.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is anyone actually 100% sure the characters will be on the Skyliner vehicles? Sort of looks like they're just showing how people would ride in them.

If you look at the image released with the four colors the one with Mickey and Minnie has a different graphic than the other rendering that shows the POV.

Yes..

"And many of the gondolas with Disney Skyliner will feature favorite Disney characters."

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...sport-guests-around-walt-disney-world-resort/

dvitali

My question is:
How many cars on the line between station?
How fast does these travel?
Do we really save time on these with all of the stop and go compare to a 10 minute bus ride?

Madame Medusa

:)

This type of Gondola operates in areas that have just as bad or even worse heat then Disney and no one has ever died from the heat.
Well there are risks of someone falling out or an entire gondola falling as well.

I still think people should think twice about riding if they're sensitive to heat or high risk for heat stroke.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
My question is:
How many cars on the line between station?
How fast does these travel?
Do we really save time on these with all of the stop and go compare to a 10 minute bus ride?

There can be quite a few cars on each line. Probably see one dispatch every 30 seconds or so. Based on earlier discussion it appears that 12 - 15 mph is common for these, so each leg of the trip would be under 5 minutes. So depending on wait times this would be comparable to buses even with have to transfer at the CBR station. You say the bus trip is 10 minutes, but how long on average to you wait for a bus? The wait on these could be much less.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well there are risks of someone falling out or an entire gondola falling as well.

I still think people should think twice about riding if they're sensitive to heat or high risk for heat stroke.

It's an enclosed car, so you have to work very hard to fall out. As for the whole thing falling, there has been discussion of gondola accidents earlier in the thread and although they happen, they are quite rare. Should be much safer in the respect then busses. If people are sensitive to high hear there are a lot of situation in Florida that they would need to be careful of.

NeXuS1000

So... something I don't get is the mid-way station between Epcot and the new Riviera Resort. Why isn't it placed further north (e.g. right by the Boardwalk entrance, on the northern side of that road/cross), in order to make more of a straight line and shorten the travel distance?

JelkXgH.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom