Would you feel satisfied with a 1 day hopper pass?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
We are going in October. The crowds will be thinner and the park is usually open from 9-8pm. That's 11 hours. I think Universal's side might close a bit early on the days that there is the Halloween Haunt, but if you have a one-day hopper pass you make sure the stuff on that side is done before hand.

Anyway, I'll have my 6 year old son with me. He can go on most of the stuff, and he probably will. But I figure since we have the Disney pass for 4 days that one day at Universal might be enough. Last time I was there in 2009 we did the two day pass with my wife and it worked out well. If I remember correctly both days we were out of there by 5pm or so. It was at the same time of year........October.

Anyway, just to save time and a bit of money I was figuring that it might make sense just for the one day pass. What do you think? Would the crowds be thin enough that we can peel through most of the stuff at both parks?

JT3000

Most stuff? No. Highlights? Sure. If you're there from opening to close, making sure to do USF first, then you could very well be satisfied with what you accomplish in one day. If I couldn't go to the parks whenever I wanted, I probably wouldn't be satisfied, but I don't know what all you want to see and what you're willing to skip. If you come up with a touring plan, we could tell you how feasible it is.

Demeter Tess

We've been more than satisfied with a 1-day park hopper in the past, but then we spend most of the day in the Harry Potter areas and only do a quick walk-through of the other themed lands.

21stamps

A one day park to park with express pass was more money than I could justify last year. Especially in comparison to the multiple day tickets. But if you want it- go for it!

My son has been asking to go.. I'm waiting until he is at least 52", maybe even 54".. but that's only because I don't want to listen to his complaining about not being tall enough for certain attractions.lol I know he would love it even now though.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Most stuff? No. Highlights? Sure. If you're there from opening to close, making sure to do USF first, then you could very well be satisfied with what you accomplish in one day. If I couldn't go to the parks whenever I wanted, I probably wouldn't be satisfied, but I don't know what all you want to see and what you're willing to skip. If you come up with a touring plan, we could tell you how feasible it is.

Okay, I am very familiar with Universal so I know what I would probably want to see. I'll have a 6 year old with me (my son) on that particular day along with an adult cousin of mine so needless to say we will likely skip the things that might be a little too intense (or with height restrictions), but that isn't many.

Universal Studios: ET, Escape from the Gringotts, Simpsons, Mummy, Race Through New York, T-2, Hogwarts Express, Horror Make up Show

Islands: Spiderman, Poseidon, Sinbad, Ripsaw Falls, Kong, Jurassic River Adventure, up to all (4) of the Dr. Seuss rides, Camp Jurassic, Jurassic Discovery Center, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Flight of the Hippogriff, Pteranadon Flyers, Me Ship The Olive, Popeye and Bluto's.

The rest, even Hulk, is in the "maybe" category because it is either too big for my son, stuff I already did and never liked, or stuff that I can skip and it is no big deal. No way my son doesn't want to hang around the Jurassic Park for a while. I love it there too and actually would love going on the Pteranadon Flyers for a change. Transformers is good but I did it in Hollywood and Spiderman is similar but better.

All in total that is 25 attractions, with a couple of shows mixed in there that will be a bit longer than usual. We could go on a mid week day or even a Monday, whatever is the slowest day. Because I remember the crowds being thin in October. You do an 11 hour day and go on a less busy day I think it is do-able. Personally the more I look at it the more do-able it is.

Also, I'll take a night and go to the Halloween Haunt. Are there any rides open during that or is it just the houses?

JoeCamel

Okay, I am very familiar with Universal so I know what I would probably want to see. I'll have a 6 year old with me (my son) on that particular day along with an adult cousin of mine so needless to say we will likely skip the things that might be a little too intense (or with height restrictions), but that isn't many.

Universal Studios: ET, Escape from the Gringotts, Simpsons, Mummy, Race Through New York, T-2, Hogwarts Express, Horror Make up Show

Islands: Spiderman, Poseidon, Sinbad, Ripsaw Falls, Kong, Jurassic River Adventure, up to all (4) of the Dr. Seuss rides, Camp Jurassic, Jurassic Discovery Center, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, Flight of the Hippogriff, Pteranadon Flyers, Me Ship The Olive, Popeye and Bluto's.

The rest, even Hulk, is in the "maybe" category because it is either too big for my son, stuff I already did and never liked, or stuff that I can skip and it is no big deal. No way my son doesn't want to hang around the Jurassic Park for a while. I love it there too and actually would love going on the Pteranadon Flyers for a change. Transformers is good but I did it in Hollywood and Spiderman is similar but better.

All in total that is 25 attractions, with a couple of shows mixed in there that will be a bit longer than usual. We could go on a mid week day or even a Monday, whatever is the slowest day. Because I remember the crowds being thin in October. You do an 11 hour day and go on a less busy day I think it is do-able. Personally the more I look at it the more do-able it is.

Also, I'll take a night and go to the Halloween Haunt. Are there any rides open during that or is it just the houses?
I think YOU could do that but you might have a burnt out melted down kid. In any case yes you can.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I think YOU could do that but you might have a burnt out melted down kid. In any case yes you can.

I have a plan to stuff him with cotton candy around 5pm or so. We were at Darien Lake last month and were there 8 hours and it was me, not him, that said we had to go because I had a drive home. He was wired and he is always on time for bedtime so it was a treat. No, he is the last one I worry about in this situation. It is just a couple of things, whether we can get enough done to be satisfied and if the 1-day pass is worth it financially as two days is more bang for your buck.

dm11

I would also suggest Minions. And my kids (although a bit older) did prefer Transformers over Spiderman but really like both.

bluetiedye

If it is before Columbus Day you will have a better shot than after. Either way is doable though, especially if you go with an Express Pass.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I would also suggest Minions. And my kids (although a bit older) did prefer Transformers over Spiderman but really like both.

Oh yeah he loves the Minions. It might be hard to avoid that one, especially if he sees it.

I think for one day a hopper would work to hit most attractions.

Might want to check ride height restrictions because many rides have them. If you and the cousin are going to try and fit in coasters then you won't get through both parks without leaving a bunch out. Dr. Doom, Mummy, Rip Rocket, Hulk, Dueling Dragons. There are two kiddie coasters one in Potter and the other by Curious George. 6 year old should be able to ride those.Depends on height.

Leave out a screen ride or two as well. Your child probably knows the minions and the Fallon ride is good. Sherk and Simpsons can be left out.

I would stay away from Bluto because you will get very wet. Cool ride if it were in a water park but not in a theme park.

I would do the hopper for a one day visit, maybe you like the parks and can come back at another time.

Bluto and Ripsaw Falls you get drenched, I realize this. I don't think I've ever been more wet on a ride other than Bluto. It is worth it if the sun's out though. Hard to bypass them though. As for the coasters I've done Hulk, we'll probably skip Rip Rocket as my son falls just short of that one. He's over 48" but under 54" and unless he sprouts up like a weed in the next two months, still will be. Dr. Doom is not any different than a Six Flag "drop zone" ride to me. Fun, as always, but there are a dozen parks that have that and it is a rare type of ride my cousin won't go on. His stomach will get funny on that sort of ride with the drop, I don't know, other than that he's a thrill junkie. My son won't want to touch that one anyway.

I think we can get the core of it done in a day. Plus we'll be going back without my son for Halloween Haunt one evening so we can get in a couple rides then.

Disneyhead'71

Universal has changed a lot since 2009. It is considerably more crowded. I doubt you'll get in all 25 attractions without express passes.

A one day hopper is a great way to get a taste of the place. Even better if you can spring for the Express Passes. They are pricey but worth it.

They don't have Horror Nights on Mondays, and they are a good day to go to the parks during Oct. Minions is the first ride you come to upon entering USF. If you plan on riding and don't have Express Passes, hit it first. It builds a line quickly and never lets up because of low capacity.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom