Ever get ill because it's just so darn hot?

drizgirl

Maybe, but they definitely weren't simply walking around a theme park in and out of A/C with unlimited food/drink at their disposals. Look around. This issue is almost entirely due to people carrying 100lbs+ too much and never raising their heart rate above their usual couch sitting oreo eating baseline. No offense to OP who I think just didn't get enough water.

The equalizer is water. Even a highly tuned athlete could be debilitated without enough water. With enough fluids, no one should have a problem.
Glad you have all the answers. I'm sure you'll enjoy your next summer trip to Florida.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Maybe, but they definitely weren't simply walking around a theme park in and out of A/C with unlimited food/drink at their disposals. Look around. This issue is almost entirely due to people carrying 100lbs+ too much and never raising their heart rate above their usual couch sitting oreo eating baseline. No offense to OP who I think just didn't get enough water.

The equalizer is water. Even a highly tuned athlete could be debilitated without enough water. With enough fluids, no one should have a problem.

None taken and you're probably right. Always carry a water bottle now and try to fill it up at water fountains frequently. I've also taken to asking for ice water in the parks at any of the places that sell food and drinks where iced water is free, it's good to take advantage of that.

daisyduckie

People USED TO live and work outside more than they do now. Truth is, most of us are not conditioned for it anymore, we have lost that ability. If you have every watched Dual Survival one of the hosts had trained himself to go bare foot. He had to TRAIN to do something we all used to do.

We don't function the same way we used to. And some people tolerate the heat better than others.

Chef Mickey

People USED TO live and work outside more than they do now. Truth is, most of us are not conditioned for it anymore, we have lost that ability. If you have every watched Dual Survival one of the hosts had trained himself to go bare foot. He had to TRAIN to do something we all used to do.

We don't function the same way we used to. And some people tolerate the heat better than others.
Physically, you're fine when you feel hot and have had enough water (and aren't running a marathon or doing extreme physical activity). The walking outside barefoot example is totally different because you're building callouses on your feet and toughening the tender skin. We haven't lost the ability to form callouses if you're wondering.

Evolution is a slow process. We are biologically the almost identical today as we were 1,000 years ago and probably much longer. The changes that have occurred are small and probably related to minor things like certain infectious diseases we've been vaccinated for, not wholesale changes like the way we maintain body temperature and react to heat.

The changes in tolerance to heat are obviously driven by the existence of A/C (we know we could be more comfortable) and the changes in diet and a sedentary lifestyle causing extreme obesity.

Last edited:

drizgirl

If you have every watched Dual Survival one of the hosts had trained himself to go bare foot. He had to TRAIN to do something we all used to do.
That was one freaky dude. But I miss that show! The scenes of him traipsing through snow in bare feet were a trip.

correcaminos

Physically, you're fine when you feel hot and have had enough water (and aren't running a marathon or doing extreme physical activity). The walking outside barefoot example is totally different because you're building callouses on your feet and toughening the tender skin. We haven't lost the ability to form callouses if you're wondering.

Evolution is a slow process. We are biologically the almost identical today as we were 1,000 years ago and probably much longer. The changes that have occurred are small and probably related to minor things like certain infectious diseases we've been vaccinated for, not wholesale changes like the way we maintain body temperature and react to heat.

The changes in tolerance to heat are obviously driven by the existence of A/C (we know we could be more comfortable) and the changes in diet and a sedentary lifestyle causing extreme obesity.
Little things can make a difference. When it is 85 out I can be out in a sweatshirt in the direct sun and be totally fine. My husband (who is physically fit as am I - neither of us overweight) would likely pass out. Actually I think most would even if they are drinking water, they would just overheat.

We're indoors about the same and have a similar lifestyle with work and such. He likely does more physical at work than I do on occasion but not totally.

While my passing out was under an abnormal circumstance (in uniform made out of wool with a hat that trapped my heat - I ran a half a mile in that uniform when it was almost 90 and then had to do a whole marching routine immediately after) I can tolerate the heat much better than some. My body temp is 97.1-97.9 depending on the time of day. My BP is 90/60 naturally. My husband's temp is about a whole degree higher and his BP is average (around 120/80). We're not the same even though we're both physically fit. Neither of us has health issues related to mobility or requiring medication daily.

So while we haven't evolved much, it's short sighted to say that a healthy person will react to heat the same way. It's simply not true in our family.

WEDwaydatamover

Your in Fantasyland but also Florida. Sure we all feel it to varying degrees.

Cool off in a long a/c show. The planet isn't coming undone- its summer in Florida at Disney World! Your supposed to be going out of your mind.

Just be smart, to heck with the snowflakes and have fun! I'm jealous. Wish I was there.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

Little things can make a difference. When it is 85 out I can be out in a sweatshirt in the direct sun and be totally fine. My husband (who is physically fit as am I - neither of us overweight) would likely pass out. Actually I think most would even if they are drinking water, they would just overheat.

We're indoors about the same and have a similar lifestyle with work and such. He likely does more physical at work than I do on occasion but not totally.

While my passing out was under an abnormal circumstance (in uniform made out of wool with a hat that trapped my heat - I ran a half a mile in that uniform when it was almost 90 and then had to do a whole marching routine immediately after) I can tolerate the heat much better than some. My body temp is 97.1-97.9 depending on the time of day. My BP is 90/60 naturally. My husband's temp is about a whole degree higher and his BP is average (around 120/80). We're not the same even though we're both physically fit. Neither of us has health issues related to mobility or requiring medication daily.

So while we haven't evolved much, it's short sighted to say that a healthy person will react to heat the same way. It's simply not true in our family.
I'm not really talking about comfort. I'm just saying people make a bigger deal about the heat being some medical issue than it really is. Comfort is a totally different thing.

I sleep with the house at 65 at night.

Souvenir

OP- I hope you still had a fantastic trip overall!

We've done two WDW trips so far in 2017. One in February/March and one in May/June. It's just so much more enjoyable in the cooler months. After our last trip, we decided that from now on we're only taking trips to WDW in the winter. Someone mentioned that September can feel worse than mid summer even though the temps are lower in September. Totally agree. Last year we went in July during a week where the high hit 100 almost every day. We went again in September when the highs were in the 80's. September was more uncomfortable because of the oppressive humidity. I'm in good shape and on the low end of recommended weight for my height, so I disagree with the idea that only overweight, sedentary people are affected by heat. Sure those things likely make it worse but just glance around on a hot day. You can tell that almost everyone of every age, size, and shape is feeling the heat.

correcaminos

I'm not really talking about comfort. I'm just saying people make a bigger deal about the heat being some medical issue than it really is. Comfort is a totally different thing.

We have it at 67, if I do not have enough blankets on I wake up shivering so much I feel ill. My husband on the other hand can wake up sweating horribly if we deviate too much. It's beyond just 'comfort' what I am talking about.

Honestly you seem to be so bent on one thought and having it to do with people being over weight. I am telling you that not everyone can go out in 85 degree weather with a sweatshirt on in the daytime in direct sunshine and be okay. They will feel beyond just uncomfortable. They will start to feel sickly.

Just like I feel ill when I get too cold.

Souvenir

Hot humid sunny summer day, hours walking in it, not enough fluids AND replacing electrolytes and either drinking alcohol/eating big meal is a recipe for heat exhaustion/stroke.
I also think caffeine can exacerbate the problem. I try to skip morning coffee on very hot days.

mergatroid

Original Poster
OP- I hope you still had a fantastic trip overall!

We've done two WDW trips so far in 2017. One in February/March and one in May/June. It's just so much more enjoyable in the cooler months. After our last trip, we decided that from now on we're only taking trips to WDW in the winter. Someone mentioned that September can feel worse than mid summer even though the temps are lower in September. Totally agree. Last year we went in July during a week where the high hit 100 almost every day. We went again in September when the highs were in the 80's. September was more uncomfortable because of the oppressive humidity. I'm in good shape and on the low end of recommended weight for my height, so I disagree with the idea that only overweight, sedentary people are affected by heat. Sure those things likely make it worse but just glance around on a hot day. You can tell that almost everyone of every age, size, and shape is feeling the heat.

That's so kind of you to ask, and yes I did thanks. It was the second day of a three week stay when it happened so I probably also wasn't properly acclimatised. The following night we did Halloween Horror Nights at Universal and I took it easy as still wasn't 100%. In fact on the way back we stopped at Cowfish for a meal and chose to sit outside. Just before the food arrived we had to ask to be moved inside as I was hit with a terrible temperature again but they were extremely understanding and accommodating. The whole experience was very unusual for me as I've been going for over 40 years now and it's never affected me in that way before.

Last edited:

daisyduckie

It had nothing to do with having callouses and had to do with temperature. Back when we could withstand the temperature extremes more than we can now.

Disney4family

Just one? I think another an hour or so later might help. After all it has orange juice in it, that's one of my five a day.
It could be a Super Grand!
After all - we all know that a spoonful of sugar (aka an extra shot of Grand Marnier) helps the medicine go down! :joyfull:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Sorry, you are so wrong. Yes, heat can be a medical issue, especially for older people and young kids. Certain medications and health conditions exacerbate the effects of heat. I've lived in Florida for most of my adult life, so I should be pretty acclimated to the humidity and heat of this semi-tropical climate. And I grew up in Southern California, a semi-arid climate. But in comparison, 90 degrees in Palos Verdes is more tolerable than 90 degrees in Leon because it's less humid. And unlike Florida (it's been 80 degrees at 3:00 am in the summer), it cools down in Southern Cal at night. I didn't grow up with air conditioning, no biggie. But now, if my A/C broke anytime between late April and early November, I'd be screaming for the A/C guy. It's getting hotter each summer. And as I get older, I'm less able to tolerate the heat. There's a reason we in Florida go from our air conditioned house to our air conditioned car to our air conditioned office....and pray none of that A/C breaks down!.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom