Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_Radden

Wow. So in FW East, being closer to the building you will probably not see it as it will be behind the pavilions and hidden with the overgrown trees between UoE and WoL. But from over at FW West, Imagination area, and probably parts of WS, you will be able to see it. Do we know if the building will be as tall or taller than RnRC at around 101'?
RnRC Height.png

P_Radden

Here I've tried to do some measurements of the new building, and the connecting tunnel:
Energy Coaster Bldg.png

These are rough estimates but looks like the new building could be around 300' x 220' and at least 100' tall (guessing the height) . The tunnel should be at least 40' wide and will have a length of around 340' from UoE to the coaster building. I suspect this tunnel structure will be elevated above the road so that the coaster enters the building from above then drops down as opposed to RnRc that enters from the bottom and goes up.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Here I've tried to do some measurements of the new building, and the connecting tunnel:
View attachment 214042
These are rough estimates but looks like the new building could be around 300' x 220' and at least 100' tall (guessing the height) . The tunnel should be at least 40' wide and will have a length of around 340' from UoE to the coaster building. I suspect this tunnel structure will be elevated above the road so that the coaster enters the building from above then drops down as opposed to RnRc that enters from the bottom and goes up.
Don't measure off of that image. Positions aren't entirely correct.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@danlb_2000 is there any other imagery from the permit?

Martin, I hope these measurements are somewhat accurate because this building would be HUGE in comparison to RnRC's building.

Energy = 300' x 220' (estimated)
RnRC = 186' x 162'
The new building would be comparable to the footprint of the RnRC gravity building, and quite a bit smaller than the existing Energy buildings footprint

P_Radden

The new building would be comparable to the footprint of the RnRC gravity building, and quite a bit smaller than the existing Energy buildings footprint
Well dang, that is a bit disappointing. I was hoping a larger building would = longer coaster experience.

Miceberg

Tell me then if you do not mind, why does it take so long for Disney to complete projects? Is it that it takes longer time to mold and form concrete into rock like mountains today than it did two decades ago?

I can sorta help with this one as DH owns a construction company and utilizes the same techniques to create rockwork (and in some cases the same subs that DLR uses). The technique from years ago was rudimentary and took less time than the rockwork of today which has moved away from making concrete blobs in a couple of simple steps. There are several steps involved now (many of which have been documented in other threads showing the creation of Carsland, Avatarland and DLR's Rivers of America). Even now there are a couple of different ways to create rockwork, Disney utilizes the more time consuming approach with yields a much more custom and artistic result. Instead of using molds or prefabricated pieces, each portion is created using a multi-step approach. Re-bar is bent into the rough shape of the rock, then filled with gunite. The gunite can be roughly shaped and cut into a better shape which is then overlaid with concrete that is further shaped to match design plans. At this stage the "artist" can apply a type of stamp on the shape that gives texture and/or use tools to further shape and smooth the object. This portion takes the longest because each area is gone over carefully to make sure it matches the design plan. After this stage is approved, each area is carefully painted with several layers to get the right look.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@danlb_2000 is there any other imagery from the permit?

Martin, I hope these measurements are somewhat accurate because this building would be HUGE in comparison to RnRC's building.

Energy = 300' x 220' (estimated)
RnRC = 186' x 162'

Anything of value from the permit has already been posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom