Volcano Bay

captainkidd

How many times have you been? Or are just basing your opinion on the "real world". There are many other sites out there contradict what trip adviser reviews say. thousands of people visit VB daily usually closing it minutes after they open, yet only 500 reviews. over 100,000 people have gone to VB already. I will take the opinions/reviews of people on this site and others over Trip Advisor everyday, for god sakes that site just voted Islands of Adventure the best theme park again.

Reviews are of course subjective, but all other reviews on TA seem to fall in line with majority opinion on other parks in Orlando:
IOA, Discovery Cove, Magic Kingdom, Universal, Animal Kingdom, Sea World, Epcot, DHS, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Aquatica, rank in that order. I'd say that's very in line with common opinion. And they all fall in the top 30, all but one in top 15. Then you have VB at #369.

The point (I believe) the poster is making is that of all the reviews, the majority are poor. You are correct. The amount of reviews compared to the amount of people who have visited is low. But no different than any other park. Look at the Magic Kingdom. 50,000 reviews compared to close to 1 billion visitors. It has its share of poor reviews as well, but not even remotely close to the amount of excellent reviews. Regardless of total amount of reviews, the fact is, at least on TA, the majority of poor reviews compared to overall amount of total reviews for VB is pretty high.

Last edited:

Kman101

This is also The very first water park Universal has ever built. Remember Disneyland's opening? Animal Kingdom opening reactions?

Flight of Passage was only a 20 minute wait yesterday, on its 2nd most crowded holiday weekend since it opening. Looks like those 6 years of developement, construction and hype is already wearing off just a month after Pandora opens.

Meanwhile Volcano Bay is still often closing it's gates early due to capacity over a month after opening.

And why should they get a pass because it's the first water park they've opened? They know how to run a theme park, no? Why does Universal get a pass on nearly everything they do? Maybe they should have had soft openings and more team member previews to work things out. It's a great looking park but it's clear they rushed it. It's also getting a lot of complaints for constantly being at capacity half an hour after it opens, but there's not much they can really do about that one.

JT3000

Why does Universal get a pass on nearly everything they do?

Because they don't? Are you even reading the same forum as the rest of us? This thread alone has been about 2% useful information and 98% complaining & armchair imagin... err... creating. Everyone knows the opening was botched by this point, but we hardly even know how it's progressed since then, because any and all positivity gets drowned out by the wall of noise.

Is there any room to add to VB?

Yes, but they're already building on it as we speak.

raven

And why should they get a pass because it's the first water park they've opened? They know how to run a theme park, no? Why does Universal get a pass on nearly everything they do? Maybe they should have had soft openings and more team member previews to work things out. It's a great looking park but it's clear they rushed it. It's also getting a lot of complaints for constantly being at capacity half an hour after it opens, but there's not much they can really do about that one.
So Disney should "get a pass" for Test Track opening? What about the Yeti? I'm just saying that Universal has never built a water park before so they are learning things. Theme parks, yes. But water parks are new to them.

And the early closings due to capacity are a good thing. Universal resort guests get in an hour early. And as with popular parks during busy times, get there early if you don't want to be turned away.

Kman101

Im sorry. Didn't realize you were standing next to me in the 20 minute line on Saturday. And yes, this is only the 2nd holiday weekend for Pandora and the crowds have already thinned.

Not according to wait time data but OK

And no need to get defensive ;) not sure why you want it to fail and felt the need to brag about it here but you do you. That's not an indication of anything when the parks are all seeing lower crowds ... except Pandora. There was also heavy thunderstorms yesterday for a few hours.

Last edited:

Kman101

Because they don't? Are you even reading the same forum as the rest of us? This thread alone has been about 2% useful information and 98% complaining & armchair imagin... err... creating. Everyone knows the opening was botched by this point, but we hardly even know how it's progressed since then, because any and all positivity gets drowned out by the wall of noise.

Yes, but they're already building on it as we speak.

Yes I do and I was talking to one person specifically

Tom Morrow

This is also The very first water park Universal has ever built. Remember Disneyland's opening? Animal Kingdom opening reactions?

Flight of Passage was only a 20 minute wait yesterday, on its 2nd most crowded holiday weekend since it opening. Looks like those 6 years of developement, construction and hype is already wearing off just a month after Pandora opens.

Meanwhile Volcano Bay is still often closing it's gates early due to capacity over a month after opening.
Or perhaps Disney built an attraction with appropriate capacity for Disney's Animal Kingdom, while Universal opened a woefully under-capacity water park for their resort.

Gringotts and Forbidden Journey were both down to 20-30 minute waits only a few weeks after opening as well, doesn't mean they aren't great rides and the biggest draws in the park.

I am planning on visiting Volcano Bay on a Thursday in September. I know we don't have crystal balls, but do you guys think that they will have the kinks worked out by then? Will the park actually be complete? I guess if anyone can compare their experience with, say, Memorial Day weekend versus now that would be useful in figuring out if Universal is on track to have Volcano Bay a well-oiled machine by the time I visit (which, in theory, should be off-season).

raven

And no need to get defensive ;) not sure why you want it to fail and felt the need to brag about it here but you do you.
On the contrary, I was responding to posts by people who are wanting VB to fail, posting in the Universal section here on the forums. They will continue to throw it under the bus just because it's Universal, even though they haven't even been to VB yet. Just stating facts against Universal haters, but you be you too. ;)

captainkidd

On the contrary, I was responding to posts by people who are wanting VB to fail, posting in the Universal section here on the forums. They will continue to throw it under the bus just because it's Universal, even though they haven't even been to VB yet. Just stating facts against Universal haters, but you be you too. ;)

Why would anyone want it to fail? Competition is a good thing for everybody.

Kman101

I love Universal :) I don't want VB to fail at all but if that's what you got from my post then OK.

Kman101

Why would anyone want it to fail? Competition is a good thing for everybody.

Apparently saying they should have handled opening it better is wanting it to fail o_O

And sorry but i don't get in here very often to post but I do keep up with the threads. And I'm someone in two weeks who is planning to stay near Universal and hit the parks again. But I hate Universal :joyfull: It's sad we can't even give criticism when it's deserved. The dust is strong for Uni defenders and I don't get it. They're far from perfect.

Kman101

The reason for Volcano Bay hitting capacity every day is because they've taken a hatchet to their original capacity...they are definitely letting in much less people than opening week.

And that's probably a good thing to enhance the guest experience. I follow the Universal AP page on Facebook and quite a bit of whining goes on about it hitting capacity shortly after it opens, but it's summer, a new water park ... I mean, it's not surprising. But then again there are tons of complaints on there about screen rides.

dreamscometrue

The reason for Volcano Bay hitting capacity every day is because they've taken a hatchet to their original capacity...they are definitely letting in much less people than opening week.
Are you sure? @bioreconstruct on Twitter showed slide wait times yesterday at 10:20am, ranging from a low of 50 min.to a high of 290min.!! That's a problem with letting in far too many people, huge problems with park ops and/or frequent ride malfunctions. Thoughts?

Journey_On

I am planning on visiting Volcano Bay on a Thursday in September. I know we don't have crystal balls, but do you guys think that they will have the kinks worked out by then? Will the park actually be complete? I guess if anyone can compare their experience with, say, Memorial Day weekend versus now that would be useful in figuring out if Universal is on track to have Volcano Bay a well-oiled machine by the time I visit (which, in theory, should be off-season).

I think they should have a lot of kinks worked out by then. I don't know about the park being complete, but maybe it'll be closer to what they envisioned when they announced the park? They are making improvements every week, from what I can see. And yes, I would say anytime after August 20th would be off-season. I hope you have a great time! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom