Dollar store poncho?

NeedMoreMickey

I see on here that a lot of people buy ponchos at the Dollar Store. My question is do they really work in the summer storms? I usually travel to WDW in March or October so I take my rain jacket because it can get chilly in the evening and I have it in case it rains. Taking a trip in July and I don’t think I’ll need my jacket but a little nervous about the reliability of the dollar store poncho.

jgj123

Whether it's a Disney poncho or a Dollar Store poncho, I don't think the difference will be that much as either poncho can only do so much and you're going to probably get damp. All I can say is get one and try it, they're not that expensive.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Huge difference, IMO. They're both probably equally effective in terms of keeping the rain off of you, but there are two major differences.
  1. Durability. The cheapo dollar store ponchos puncture and tear very easily. The Disney ponchos (or just the higher quality ones you can find elsewhere) are a heavier vinyl that'll hold up to multiple uses much better.
  2. Comfort. The cheap plastic ones stick to your skin, especially when it's hot and humid. This may not bother some people, but it makes me uncomfortable to the point that I'd rather just be wet.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

It depends on your purpose in wearing it. If you want something you can throw on for a wet ride or a quick downpour, that you won't feel badly about tearing off and discarding afterwards, go for the Dollar store ponchos. If you want something you can wear all day and count on to last more than a single wearing, I'd recommend a standard raincoat (or a heavy-duty waterproof poncho, like you'd buy at a camping supply store) and a mini-umbrella.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Original Poster
Thanks for your opinions. I have a Disney poncho now and used it multiple times because it fits over my back pack if I'm carrying my camera but the idea of tossing the cheap one and not have to carry it all day made me ask the question. I'm not planning on taking my camera this trip so thinking about the cheap poncho. I not an umbrella person rather wear a hat and have my hands free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

I like the Disney ones the best, but have used dollar store ones in light rain and they do the job too... I would recommend wearing a baseball cap if it's a bad storm or you'll be holding the top of the poncho the entire time... Every time I'm there I always wish I had an umbrella.

Upvote 0

Disney4family

Last year we splurged. We all have WDW windbreaker jackets. They're the perfect raincoats (compared to a poncho) since they fold up nicely, they don't stick to you, and they dry fast. We use them at home all year, too, so it's a worthy investment.

Upvote 0

Bronson55

Over the years I have used several types. As another posted, during the cooler months I prefer my light weight rain jacket. Bought my first one in Norway pavilion ( Helly Hanson ). I agree the Disney yellow ducky ponchos are more durable than dollar store ponchos but I also hate to carry them around. Last few years I bring my rain jacket only for all day downpours and carry a couple of Dollar store ponchos in my backpack. I now have to use an ecv and find the dollar store ponchos make excellent covers to ensure a dry seat when I emerge from an attraction. At a buck a peace you can't go wrong. Picture to show small size . DSCN0762.JPG

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I think it depends on wether youll get enough use out of it to justify either. I dont bother buying more expensive ponchos because I never really wear them anyplace else other than when I'm at WDW. And even then I havent needed to wear them for long periods of time so theyre more bothersome carrying them and refolding them to store after use. A lot of the time I'm close enough to a shop or other covering as the rain starts to duck in and wait the storm out. I've been fortunate to have very few trips where the rain was continuous and didnt let up.
Either way, a dollar poncho or a decent poncho, both will do the job of keeping you dry and the cost pales compared to any other part of your trip.

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

Huge difference, IMO. They're both probably equally effective in terms of keeping the rain off of you, but there are two major differences.
  1. Durability. The cheapo dollar store ponchos puncture and tear very easily. The Disney ponchos (or just the higher quality ones you can find elsewhere) are a heavier vinyl that'll hold up to multiple uses much better.
  2. Comfort. The cheap plastic ones stick to your skin, especially when it's hot and humid. This may not bother some people, but it makes me uncomfortable to the point that I'd rather just be wet.

Dollar store poncho = $1
Disney poncho = waaaaay more than $1

We've gone to Kmart and gotten their cheap-o poncho's and yes, they're not the highest quality, but they get the job done. We aren't made of sugar, so a little water never hurts. Also, when we're done with them/our trip, we just throw them out and there's no trying to figure out how to get a wet poncho packed to go home.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Here is my recent experience with ponchos at a soaking wet soccer tournament. The $1 poncho will keep you as dry as the $15 Disney poncho. Realize that neither are going to keep you completely dry. You will still get wet, but not soaking wet. Depending on your height, they will go down to maybe your knees (I am 6'). Durability will be an issue with the $1 poncho. It is not going to last 10 days, but it will last a good 4-5 uses. It can be compacted down to fit into a pocket. The big Disney ponchos do not fold up as easily and will take up some space in bags.

The way I see it, I can pack 2 $1 ponchos in a backpack for each person that takes up very little space and almost no weight. I can buy enough for an entire trip for the price of 1 Disney poncho. Since I make a Wally World run anyway, I can get Disney ponchos there for $3 if I want the bulkier style (same thickness of Disney's $15 poncho). Wally World is where I got the $1 ponchos and they work as good as the expensive ones. Plus, you don't care about throwing it away at the end of the trip.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

We are currently at WDW.
I think it has rained 9 out of the last 10 days.
We bought umbrellas at Dollar Tree before we left for our vacation.
They are compact and basic, but do the job.
And were only a buck apiece.
I couldn't imagine wearing a poncho in this humidity.

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Dollar store poncho = $1
Disney poncho = waaaaay more than $1

We've gone to Kmart and gotten their cheap-o poncho's and yes, they're not the highest quality, but they get the job done. We aren't made of sugar, so a little water never hurts. Also, when we're done with them/our trip, we just throw them out and there's no trying to figure out how to get a wet poncho packed to go home.
I think the Disney ponchos are something like $9 and we've had ours for 10+ years. I'd rather spend $9 once on something that will last than spend $1 over and over again on a garbage bag with sleeves.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Were you able to fold up the Disney ponchos as small as the original bag they came in? My experience with larger ponchos is after you unfold them from the hydraulic press folds that they are much bulkier and never get compressed like they once were.

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

Original Poster
I think the Disney ponchos are something like $9 and we've had ours for 10+ years. I'd rather spend $9 once on something that will last than spend $1 over and over again on a garbage bag with sleeves.

I have the park poncho but wanted to get away from having to fold it up and put it in my bag when it is wet. In January Disneyland my rain coat decided it didn't want to be a rain coat and I got drenched so bough another poncho for around $12, kids are $9.

Here is my recent experience with ponchos at a soaking wet soccer tournament. The $1 poncho will keep you as dry as the $15 Disney poncho. Realize that neither are going to keep you completely dry. You will still get wet, but not soaking wet. Depending on your height, they will go down to maybe your knees (I am 6'). Durability will be an issue with the $1 poncho. It is not going to last 10 days, but it will last a good 4-5 uses. It can be compacted down to fit into a pocket. The big Disney ponchos do not fold up as easily and will take up some space in bags.

The way I see it, I can pack 2 $1 ponchos in a backpack for each person that takes up very little space and almost no weight. I can buy enough for an entire trip for the price of 1 Disney poncho. Since I make a Wally World run anyway, I can get Disney ponchos there for $3 if I want the bulkier style (same thickness of Disney's $15 poncho). Wally World is where I got the $1 ponchos and they work as good as the expensive ones. Plus, you don't care about throwing it away at the end of the trip.

This sounds like a good plan take multiple cheap compact ponchos and toss them when I'm finished.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

This sounds like a good plan take multiple cheap compact ponchos and toss them when I'm finished.
They have a very simple purpose...keep you dry. I was surprised at how well it worked. When I was done, I took it off, balled it up as small as I could, stuck it in my pocket. When it rained again, I took it out, slipped it on. If they do survive the trip, you can stick them in a ziplock, compress all the air out, seal it, and stick them in the car for emergencies. Works great.

Upvote 0

anchorman314

Luckily, we haven't needed the ponchos over the past few trips, but here's what I do. We have two of the bright yellow Disney ponchos that are at least 16 years old (there was a 10-year gap in WDW visits...). I put the two ponchos in a doubled plastic grocery bag, and put that in my backpack. Once we're done using them, we fold them up while they're still wet and place them back in the double-bags. (Or if we only use one poncho, put it in a single bag.) When we get back to the room, open it up and let it dry somewhere. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom