Rumor: Will Alcoholic Beverages Be Included on the 2018 Disney Dining Plan?

correcaminos

Not a big deal one way or another to us. If we drink it's usually not in the parks ;) nor do we usually get the DDP. For some it will be great though.

rob0519

Another way to try and justify a hike in the price of the dining plan? My wife, son and myself cannot drink for medical reasons, so this is of no use to us. Hopefully, it would be an option so that people who don't want it can opt out at a lower price.

drizgirl

Hopefully, it would be an option so that people who don't want it can opt out at a lower price.
Yeah, what are the odds.

It would completely take the dining plan off the table (so to speak for us). I'm sure it will increase the cost more than I want to pay, with no benefit since we don't drink. I know it mentioned specialty drinks, but that's of no interest either. (I prefer my calories in the form of food. ;))

Joeamc

Original Poster
From what the article said, people who do no the wish to have alcohol beverages could choose "specialty" non alcoholic beverages.

StarshipDisney

I can see why some would frown on this. Not sure I see it as a positive move either, but if they have decided full steam to move in this direction, then it would be nice if they made an alcoholic beverage (or other as applicable) a stand alone option vice being part of a meal. That way you could enjoy some time at the resort lounge and a drink is covered. I usually want tea or soda for my meals not alcohol. I also don't prefer myself to drink in the parks so I would not likely use it anyway unless having dinner at a resort. Having a separate credit would resolve that.

It also said "it is expected to be added to the Plus and Deluxe DDPs.” So maybe the Standard DDP (1 each Table Service, 1 each Counter Service, and 2 Snack Credits per day) will not be affected. That is all we ever get anyway.

DisneyRoy

I can see why some would frown on this. Not sure I see it as a positive move either, but if they have decided full steam to move in this direction, then it would be nice if they made an alcoholic beverage (or other as applicable) a stand alone option vice being part of a meal. That way you could enjoy some time at the resort lounge and a drink is covered. I usually want tea or soda for my meals not alcohol. I also don't prefer myself to drink in the parks so I would not likely use it anyway unless having dinner at a resort. Having a separate credit would resolve that.

It also said "it is expected to be added to the Plus and Deluxe DDPs.” So maybe the Standard DDP (1 each Table Service, 1 each Counter Service, and 2 Snack Credits per day) will not be affected. That is all we ever get anyway.

The "standard" dining plan is the 1 TS, 1 QS and snacks. The only other options are the QS plan or deluxe. So the only plan that would not get the option it seems is the QS plan. The other two plan types would have it included. For what I'm sure will be a premium.

Joeamc

Original Poster

I'm thinking that it may be part of the standard and deluxe dining plan (not QS). Maybe now that the Magic kingdom has restaurant that sell alcohol (Mostly beer and wine) that they feel it is finally possible to make this part pf the DDP. I am not thinking it will be a separate plan or even that a "premium" charge will be added. Maybe just the regular yearly increase that we always see. Its really not that costly for Disney to give a 4oz. glass of table wine or a beer when a guest is paying over $70/day per person (forecasted 2018 cost ;)) for the standard meal plan and/or well over $100/pp per day for the deluxe.

Joeamc

Original Poster
I'm thinking that it may be part of the standard and deluxe dining plan (not QS). Maybe now that the Magic kingdom has restaurant that sell alcohol (Mostly beer and wine) that they feel it is finally possible to make this part pf the DDP. I am not thinking it will be a separate plan or even that a "premium" charge will be added. Maybe just the regular yearly increase that we always see. Its really not that costly for Disney to give a 4oz. glass of table wine or a beer when a guest is paying over $70/day per person (forecasted 2018 cost ;)) for the standard meal plan and/or well over $100/pp per day for the deluxe.
Another possibility is that you will only receive the alcoholic beverage at table service not QS. Being that Magic kingdom QS locations do not sell Beer, wine etc. I think this would cause issues.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wonder what this does to the TiW card? That was one of the advantages, alcohol was included. Sure hope theu don't drop TiW.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Wow thats expensive. It is costing us aboot $35/36 per day for the regular dining plan from the UK.

StarshipDisney

The "standard" dining plan is the 1 TS, 1 QS and snacks. The only other options are the QS plan or deluxe. So the only plan that would not get the option it seems is the QS plan. The other two plan types would have it included. For what I'm sure will be a premium.

I guess I could have written more clearly. I keyed on the use of the words "Plus" and "Deluxe" in the article. If they are making changes, then who knows what all may change. Perhaps they may come up with a way to introduce a new plan. Did not understand how else they could have meant it since I knew there is no current "Plus DDP".

Joeamc

Original Poster
I guess I could have written more clearly. I keyed on the use of the words "Plus" and "Deluxe" in the article. If they are making changes, then who knows what all may change. Perhaps they may come up with a way to introduce a new plan. Did not understand how else they could have meant it since I knew there is no current "Plus DDP".
True. Good Point

larandtra

TIW includes alcohol in its discount and for us its a huge deal. I know some cant drink so if they include it in meal plans and then decide to charge for it without choice, that is truly unfair to those who cant or dont drink. We CHOOSE it and Disney would be best served to offer it to people as an option, not require it.

Phonedave

TIW includes alcohol in its discount and for us its a huge deal. I know some cant drink so if they include it in meal plans and then decide to charge for it without choice, that is truly unfair to those who cant or dont drink. We CHOOSE it and Disney would be best served to offer it to people as an option, not require it.

Just to be clear - Disney's GUESTS would best served if they could choose it as an options. Disneys BOTTOM LINE is best served by not making it an options.

This si the whole premis that the DDP itself is built upon. Don't give people options. Sure, it may look like you have options - use your credits whenever you want, and for whatever appliable food that you want. But the key is, you already bought those credits and paid a certain price per credit, and you had no real flexibility in what credits you could buy.

This is more of the same. If you don't want to drink, you can choose a signature beverage instead. Believe it or not, there are many people out there who do not drink soda (such a me) or have no desire to drink 1,500 calories of dessert at a sitting (hand crafted shakes). So now you have this plan, that maybe gets you a $9 alcoholic beverage (cost to WDW $5) for $7, but you are using it to get a $3 iced tea.

Just for the record, I do drink alcohol, I don't drink soda, I don't use the DDP, and I do use TIW when it makes economic sense to do so (depends on how many times we plan on going in a year, and how many kids we are dragging along)

-dave

SBPAM

I agree with joeamc in that it is probably going to be a part of the regular increase. I can't see them charging more for people who do not drink and kids at 10 years old. I think specialty drinks cost as much as a beer or small glass of wine so instead of getting a milkshake for $6 at 50s prime time you can get a beer for $6.75. Interesting none the less...

drizgirl

I agree with joeamc in that it is probably going to be a part of the regular increase. I can't see them charging more for people who do not drink and kids at 10 years old. I think specialty drinks cost as much as a beer or small glass of wine so instead of getting a milkshake for $6 at 50s prime time you can get a beer for $6.75. Interesting none the less...
Disney is all about increasing margins in the parks right now. I think you'll see a typical annual increase in the dining plan plus a bump for the addition of alcohol (all rolled into one).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom