Upcoming/Rumored Projects

Rutt

Hydrus is the 6th generation of an existing design - the Euro-Fighter model line by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides GmbH.

Demolition of the area was done a while ago, after hurricane Sandy destroyed Star Jet in 2012 - which previously sat on most of the area covered by the new coaster.

Per the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/nyregion/jersey-shore-roller-coaster-hydrus.html?_r=0)
"Construction on the coaster began in January and was completed in just five months, after years of planning."

5 Months, not 2 weeks.

Yes, it was a quick install.. but it is the 6th generation of an existing design (there are 19 other Gerstlauer Euro-fighter model coaster in operation) , there is no theming, demolition and clearing of the area occurred years before, and it was years in planning...

In summary, not really an apples to apples comparison between an established design and a completely designed from scratch ride system with a totally themed land around it.

Having worked for a company who designed and built an E-ticket ride for Disney as well as some others, it is not as easy or quick as people think to push the envelope to the level Disney does.

(edit: spelling corrections)
Come on now, that theming is incredible! Obviously a fair comparison!

lazyboy97o

In summary, not really an apples to apples comparison between an established design and a completely designed from scratch ride system with a totally themed land around it.
Steel roller coasters are assembled by contractors, not the manufacturer. Unless the same team has done the same layout before, it doesn't really matter if the layout is stock or custom because it is new to that contractor. More relevant is scale and complexity of the layout, as a stock layout could be larger and more complex than a custom layout.

The ride system for Slinky Dog Dash is also not "from scratch." It is a Mack Rides Launch Coaster.

JoeCamel

Steel roller coasters are assembled by contractors, not the manufacturer. Unless the same team has done the same layout before, it doesn't really matter if the layout is stock or custom because it is new to that contractor. More relevant is scale and complexity of the layout, as a stock layout could be larger and more complex than a custom layout.

The ride system for Slinky Dog Dash is also not "from scratch." It is a Mack Rides Launch Coaster.
So exposed steel track and supports?

Cesar R M

Universal does seem to be a little faster, but it's no where near "4-5 times longer". Here are the construction times I documented a while back..

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/construction-times.875058/

The announcement to opening numbers tend to be much different because Disney tends to announce early, and Uni tends to announce after construction is well under way, although Uni recently broke that pattern by announcing the Nintendo partnership pretty early in the process. If you were to ignore announcements and just look at the time from the start of development (which we don't always have access to) to the date of opening you would probably find that they are not as far apart as you might think.
I think its been said many times.. because Universal announces when shovels are on the ground. While Disney loves to boast multiple times more (announcement, shovels on ground, vertical, testimonial/soon to be opening, opening).

Kman101

I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but I believe this coaster will be tamer than you think. It is a short coaster with 2 tame launches. If the coaster is longer than a minute and 20 seconds, I will be surprised. It will make the SDMT seem like an epic journey in comparison and that's just sad.

You've been on it then?

You can dislike it, I'm not saying you can't.

Other's can like it and look forward to it.

That's what makes the world go around.

Not sure why when someone expresses a like for something in this land being built they have to be told it's lame, cheap, lazy ...

Kman101

Universal does seem to be a little faster, but it's no where near "4-5 times longer". Here are the construction times I documented a while back..

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/construction-times.875058/

The announcement to opening numbers tend to be much different because Disney tends to announce early, and Uni tends to announce after construction is well under way, although Uni recently broke that pattern by announcing the Nintendo partnership pretty early in the process. If you were to ignore announcements and just look at the time from the start of development (which we don't always have access to) to the date of opening you would probably find that they are not as far apart as you might think.

Don't bring logic into it! It goes against the narrative some try to stir up every few months.

PorterRedkey

You've been on it then?

You can dislike it, I'm not saying you can't.

Other's can like it and look forward to it.

That's what makes the world go around.

Not sure why when someone expresses a like for something in this land being built they have to be told it's lame, cheap, lazy ...
Of course, I've been on it? Haven't you?

Obviously, that is not a real question - no one has been on it. However, we have all seen the layout. Next issue.

"Other's can like it and look forward to it."

I agree. I am just not one of those people. I can't see where in my original post that I say other people can't look forward to this. Can you point that out to me. I am just confused.

Finally, I am not trying to stop someone from liking this land, I am just trying to keep people's expectations in check. If I am wrong and the coaster is 3 minutes long and well-themed, I will be happy if I'm wrong. How long do you think the coaster will be? 2 launches and a short track lead me to believe this coaster will be shorter than SDMT. Please tell me where you disagree.

Disney is building an exposed steel roller coaster. I do think the cool Slinky Dog vehicle with the springs will look better than a regular train on an exposed track, so maybe it will look better while in action. That said, I don't see how the ride time can be very long.

PorterRedkey

Too short maybe, but thrill wise i think it will be something that is sorely lacking at TPSTBFKADHS. It will be nice to have a couple other things that my little ones can ride with me.
I believe your family is the target demographic. DHS is sorely lacking when it come to attractions that kids can ride. I believe parents might look at this as a stepping stone to RnR coaster.
You are going to enjoy this, but would you have enjoyed an enclosed coaster and a dark ride instead of 12 acres spent on 3 (2 new) rides.

Rutt

I believe your family is the target demographic. DHS is sorely lacking when it come to attractions that kids can ride. I believe parents might look at this as a stepping stone to RnR coaster.
You are going to enjoy this, but would you have enjoyed an enclosed coaster and a dark ride instead of 12 acres spent on 3 (2 new) rides.
No doubt we would have. I would have loved even the Monsters Inc ride from Tokyo along with the alien spinners and maybe a restaurant or two. That being said, we will still enjoy TSL.

Disone

I don't want to be a Debbie downer, but I believe this coaster will be tamer than you think. It is a short coaster with 2 tame launches. If the coaster is longer than a minute and 20 seconds, I will be surprised. It will make the SDMT seem like an epic journey in comparison and that's just sad.

If you take out the show scene from Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, as the trains crawl through that scene, I think the ride times will be very comprable. Slinky Dog will be probably more thrilling as the cars will not rock into the curves like they do on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I remember when that announcement was originally made about seven dwarfs that people thought it would make the coaster more exciting and I knew it was going to make the coaster super smooth. I remember reading posts of anticipation of how Seven Dwarfs was going to be comparable to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad! I remember arguing against that and being flamed! The Rockin into the Curves, in my opinion, does indeed make that coaster very tame / ultra smooth indeed.

So Slinky Dog is going to be a little bit more thrilling than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: Two launches and it will not lean into the curves. However Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with its long show seen in the middle of the to lift Hills will definitely be the longer of the two rides.

PorterRedkey

If you take out the show scene from Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, as the trains crawl through that scene, I think the ride times will be very comprable. Slinky Dog will be probably more thrilling as the cars will not rock into the curves like they do on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I remember when that announcement was originally made about seven dwarfs that people thought it would make the coaster more exciting and I knew it was going to make the coaster super smooth. I remember reading posts of anticipation of how Seven Dwarfs was going to be comparable to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad! I remember arguing against that and being flamed! The Rockin into the Curves, in my opinion, does indeed make that coaster very tame / ultra smooth indeed.

So Slinky Dog is going to be a little bit more thrilling than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train: Two launches and it will not lean into the curves. However Seven Dwarfs Mine Train with its long show seen in the middle of the to lift Hills will definitely be the longer of the two rides.

I agree that SDMT would be longer, but comparable only in the sense they are both coasters.
Imagine SDMT with exposed steel track, no scenic mountain mine, and no dark ride scene with no animatronics.

Slinky Dog's track may be a little longer, but the 2 launches will take away any additional time that would have been added by the extra track. Also, the launches will be much tamer (by design) than California Screamin or RnR. Just as SDMT is tamer (by design) than BTMRR is. While the Slinky Dog coaster will be fun - especially for youngsters and even some "oldsters" like me. I just don't believe it will have the thrills that SOME people are thinking it will be. This may be especially true after the Disney marketing machine pumps up their new coaster with "2 high-speed launches" or some other exaggeration.

I hope I am wrong, but the details we have so far seem to point to this. I think we will all know more when D23 happens.

Goob

But why make SDMT tame? If a kid sees the ride and then makes his mind up that it's "not scary", then he's already going on the ride. There is no way for that kid to know it's tame just by looking at it. No need to make it tame.

Most little kids when they see a coaster, they think it's gonna be scary. SDMT isn't. But they don't know that until there already on it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But why make SDMT tame? If a kid sees the ride and then makes his mind up that it's "not scary", then he's already going on the ride. There is no way for that kid to know it's tame just by looking at it. No need to make it tame.

Most little kids when they see a coaster, they think it's gonna be scary. SDMT isn't. But they don't know that until there already on it.

It's tame precisely because it's in a kid-targeted land with a kid-targeted IP (though adults can love it, too).

That's the problem with SGE. It's Stitch in the Magic Kingdom... what could go wrong?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom