PERMITS

SSG

Original Poster
I've heard of Frederick & Nelson's. I don't remember the etiquette classes, but I fondly recollect the Cinnamon Bear at Christmas time. His cookies were awesome in comparison to Santa's candy canes! I also vaguely remember the little monorail train they ran in the toy area around the holidays. The whole store is completely closed now though, and I'm hoping that something spectacular will make that space great again.
Nordstrom bought the space and converted it into the Nordstrom flagship store.

SSG

Original Poster
SWL work chugs along:

Received BLD2017-02371 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 1313 S HARBOR BLVD Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - BLD 10040/ Attraction #1 - Miscellaneous: (Scene 12) Attachment faux elements total 188 wall panels, archways, ceiling panels anchored to building. REF:BLD2016-03519

That other permit referenced says:

Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - BLD 10040/ Attraction #1 - New Commercial Construction: New Commercial Construction: 165,565 sq.ft two story Amusement Building with (4) pits in basement level and (4) equipment building's roof level.

TP2000

I was thinking of the one in Portland. That is true of the Seattle location though.

Downtown Portland had a Frederick & Nelson for the last half of the 20th century, plus suburban Portland stores at Lloyd Center and Washington Square, etc.. But it was Meier & Frank that had the Santaland at Christmastime up on the 10th floor of their huge downtown store. There was a monorail hung from the ceiling that traveled around the entire toy department and Santaland's winter wonderland, with small children locked into the cages of each monorail car for the 3 minute journey. Magic!
ghBhnXqOUAGBIuF-800x450-noPad.jpg

All of the Portland Frederick's were former Liberty House or Lipman's stores that Frederick & Nelson bought out in the 1960's. Frederick & Nelson in downtown Portland was on Washington, two blocks north of the massive Meier & Frank store on Morrison.

Frederick & Nelson is long gone. And Meier & Frank is now also gone, bought out by Macy's in the 2000's, and now Macy's has just shuttered the giant downtown Portland store. Because Amazon. Very sad.

SWL work chugs along:

Received BLD2017-02371 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 1313 S HARBOR BLVD Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - BLD 10040/ Attraction #1 - Miscellaneous: (Scene 12) Attachment faux elements total 188 wall panels, archways, ceiling panels anchored to building. REF:BLD2016-03519

That other permit referenced says:

Disneyland - SW - DL Frontierland Expansion - BLD 10040/ Attraction #1 - New Commercial Construction: New Commercial Construction: 165,565 sq.ft two story Amusement Building with (4) pits in basement level and (4) equipment building's roof level.

165,565 square foot two story amusement building. With pits and equipment, too. Judging by the looks of the Alacatraz, AKA "Battle Escape" attraction building, that's what they are talking about here. 165,000 square feet. That sounds huge. Anyone know how many square feet Pirates or Indy is?

Last edited:

NobodyElse

This rough estimator puts the Indy show building at a little over 54,000 square feet.
upload_2017-6-9_6-12-38.png

So even it the 165,000 figure is split between two stories, it's still a relatively large footprint.

SSG

Original Poster
Looks like the Fantasmic Aladdin scene is coming along.

Issued BLD2017-02404 MORROW MEADOWS CORPORATION 1313 S HARBOR BLVDElectrical to install apparatus or equipment not listed for "TSI Magic Carpet Lift".

TP2000

This rough estimator puts the Indy show building at a little over 54,000 square feet.
View attachment 209091

So even it the 165,000 figure is split between two stories, it's still a relatively large footprint.

Wow. That is a very helpful comparison and figure to use.

Judging by the aerial shots of Star Wars Land construction, the Alcatraz building is roughly three times the size of the Indy warehouse. So it seems the 165,000 square foot figure is simply the building footprint itself. But the Alcatraz building is much taller than the Indy building, and clearly has at least two levels of 25+ foot tall ride rooms to fill. It dwarfs Indy and Pirates both. In fact, it would seem you could fit both Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean inside the Alcatraz building at the same time.

This Alcatraz ride is going to be massive and on a scale we've never seen before. I don't think us Disneyland fans quite realize what we have here yet.

Phroobar

Judging by the aerial shots of Star Wars Land construction, the Alcatraz building is roughly three times the size of the Indy warehouse. So it seems the 165,000 square foot figure is simply the building footprint itself. But the Alcatraz building is much taller than the Indy building, and clearly has at least two levels of 25+ foot tall ride rooms to fill. It dwarfs Indy and Pirates both. In fact, it would seem you could fit both Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean inside the Alcatraz building at the same time.

This Alcatraz ride is going to be massive and on a scale we've never seen before. I don't think us Disneyland fans quite realize what we have here yet.
It feels old school Epcot in size.

Curious Constance

Any tips on how I can keep my excitement contained until I can ride it in three years or so?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So it seems the 165,000 square foot figure is simply the building footprint itself.

That's coming close to 4 acres and much larger than drawings make it out to be. For comparison, Shanghai PotC is only 2 acres. So, I'm guessing that the square footage is for two floors and the footprint is half it's size which puts it the same size as SPotC and the combined FoP/NRJ building.

SSG

Original Poster
I wonder if they are going to replace the beautiful fencing around the hotel property along Disneyland drive. Right now the hotel has a fencing with nice stone pillars. Could they be considering making it taller to include the hotel property within the safe zone?

The permit has been slightly revised:

Received BLD2017-02508 M G BROWNE 1600 S DISNEYLAND DR GRAND CALIFORNIAN Grand Californian Hotel - Security Fence - Remove existing and install new 10.5' high metal security fence with gate and alarm (74 LF) Suite 100

SSG

Original Poster
Creating more cubicles for TDA

Received BLD2017-02514 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 700 W BALL RDTDA - BOH 4th Floor Room 411 - Tenant Improvement: Add wall to enclose area creating a 200 sq.ft office. Legal room 411.

Received BLD2017-02515 WALT DISNEY WORLD CO 700 W BALL RDTDA - BOH 2nd Floor Room 215E - Tenant Improvement: 200 sq.ft Divide office into (2) offices. 215E.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom