Upcoming/Rumored Projects

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'm not sure of the Cars Land dates specifically, but it opened in 2012 (not groundbreaking in 2012). Just a heads up :)
Thanks for putting that together though, that's great!

K, I may have been using CA dates instead of Cars Land dates. So, I updated the chart above. The timeframe looks more in line with the other lands now.

For groundbreaking for CL, I found this: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/today-in-disney-history-cars-land-groundbreaking/

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
edit - see below - 4 years for Pandora.

Pandora was 3.4 years from groundbreaking to opening. Round up to 4 seems very ungenerous. And when people round down the two wizarding worlds at 2.4 and 2.5 down to 2 years, that seems too generous. There wasn't a two year difference in building between Pandora and a Wizarding World, just one year difference.

lazyboy97o

While I won't argue Disney is quick, they did have to do a lot of demo first in DHS. It's not like they had an empty field to work with. If we used the dates from which the land was finally an empty dirt lot, it would take about six months off the timeline.

But then again, Universal also had to demo, too.
That would still put construction alone in the timeframe of the whole process.

halltd

A roller coaster can be thought up, designed, manufactured, shipped, installed, tested and opened in 18 - 24 months. Two years just for construction is slow.
Yeah if you're a typical amusement park that throws a "standard" coaster into a parking lot without any theming or structures built around it (besides a typical load station).

lazyboy97o

Yeah if you're a typical amusement park that throws a "standard" coaster into a parking lot without any theming or structures built around it (besides a typical load station).
That's for more than just a parking lot coaster and Disney isn't building anything special.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This is just so blatantly incorrect. It takes Disney 4-5 times longer to build things.

Universal does seem to be a little faster, but it's no where near "4-5 times longer". Here are the construction times I documented a while back..

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/construction-times.875058/

The announcement to opening numbers tend to be much different because Disney tends to announce early, and Uni tends to announce after construction is well under way, although Uni recently broke that pattern by announcing the Nintendo partnership pretty early in the process. If you were to ignore announcements and just look at the time from the start of development (which we don't always have access to) to the date of opening you would probably find that they are not as far apart as you might think.

Rutt

It's really not. It is a Mack Launched Coaster that doesn't do anything new or complicated. Even two launches isn't special. That doesn't mean it won't be fun or that people can't like it. There seems to be this persistent conflation between personal enjoyment and success.
Except we're excluding the fact that unlike many coasters it will be family friendly AND much more themed that nearly 99% of coasters many of the people riding it will ever go on, whether you like the theming or not. Complicated? Maybe not, but it is certainly special.

As for success, if the majority of the riders enjoy it that would be a success.

lazyboy97o

Except we're excluding the fact that unlike many coasters it will be family friendly AND much more themed that nearly 99% of coasters many of the people riding it will ever go on, whether you like the theming or not. Complicated? Maybe not, but it is certainly special.

As for success, if the majority of the riders enjoy it that would be a success.
Being family friendly is not all that special. The props are also not much and not special and even more so in its surrounding context. Nor does being popular make it special.

Goob

Is the concept art the only thing you've seen of this ride and land? That's all I've seen and it's hard to tell how intricately themed it will be considering the concept art is at a vantage point of about 100 feet in the air.

Last edited:

rd805

Universal does seem to be a little faster, but it's no where near "4-5 times longer". Here are the construction times I documented a while back..

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/construction-times.875058/

The announcement to opening numbers tend to be much different because Disney tends to announce early, and Uni tends to announce after construction is well under way, although Uni recently broke that pattern by announcing the Nintendo partnership pretty early in the process. If you were to ignore announcements and just look at the time from the start of development (which we don't always have access to) to the date of opening you would probably find that they are not as far apart as you might think.

Thanks for breaking it down for me (everyone!).
I appreciate your input on these boards!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Being family friendly is not all that special. The props are also not much and not special and even more so in its surrounding context. Nor does being popular make it special.

One of the amusements piers at the Jersey sure recently built a family friendly spinning car coaster in about a week.

GCTales

2 weeks to install track. Google is your friend

Hydrus is the 6th generation of an existing design - the Euro-Fighter model line by Gerstlauer Amusement Rides GmbH.

Demolition of the area was done a while ago, after hurricane Sandy destroyed Star Jet in 2012 - which previously sat on most of the area covered by the new coaster.

Per the New York Times (https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/nyregion/jersey-shore-roller-coaster-hydrus.html?_r=0)
"Construction on the coaster began in January and was completed in just five months, after years of planning."

5 Months, not 2 weeks.

Yes, it was a quick install.. but it is the 6th generation of an existing design (there are 19 other Gerstlauer Euro-fighter model coaster in operation) , there is no theming, demolition and clearing of the area occurred years before, and it was years in planning...

In summary, not really an apples to apples comparison between an established design and a completely designed from scratch ride system with a totally themed land around it.

Having worked for a company who designed and built an E-ticket ride for Disney as well as some others, it is not as easy or quick as people think to push the envelope to the level Disney does.

(edit: spelling corrections)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom