How big are the drops on Flight of passage?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From all the reviews I've read it seems that at times the big lever you're on will 'drop' for a tiny free fall event. It should be more like a swooping down. I'd imagine it's a bit like the drop you experience in plane turbulence.

OR... it may be more like the Spider-man ride where you're pointed downwards and you 'see' the 3D floor rising to meet you for a simulation of free fall.

OR... both.

The platform which your row of bikes are on detaches from structure to provide dropping and other movements. Roughly 10'. The seats also move individually while on this platform.
So all in all, how rough will this be? Can you compare it to any other attraction? I know it's unique, of course, but for example, "If you don't like Dinosaur you won't like Flight of Passage", etc..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Watching the Trackers today they went of FOP at cast previews. Describing everything about the ride it would appear at no point does it physically drop. They describe it here around the 30:50 mark

They are incorrect.

The Trackers didn't say it didn't drop, they just didn't mention any drops. Jenn's problem wasn't with drops, but with feeling unsecured and thrust up with heights on Soarin'.

Their friend did mention a whooping part... probably the swooping drop.

mergatroid

The Trackers didn't say it didn't drop, they just didn't mention any drops. Jenn's problem wasn't with drops, but with feeling unsecured and thrust up with heights on Soarin'.

Their friend did mention a whooping part... probably the swooping drop.

Apologies my error. I just thought if there'd been a 'drop' they would have mentioned it, thats why I used the word appeared. I could have explained it a lot better than I did.

Dizney Crew

Tim gave the best review yet of Pandora, and him giving FOP a review of Soarin 2.0 seems honest. I'm sure he really wanted to give this ride a better review but couldn't. That doesn't sound very promising for this attraction which is a shame.

djkidkaz

I think it's difficult to give honest opinions after a ride or two on any of these attractions. Generally people go in with extremely high expectations and either feel really let down or they refuse to believe that they might not like something they expected too. Over the course of time we will get a more realistic idea of the entertainment value these attractions bring to AK. Soarin 2.0 doesn't sound all that bad, considering I still really like riding Soarin every time I'm at Epcot. So to have an alternate version of a very enjoyable ride at my favorite park sounds like a win for me.

dreamscometrue

Tim gave the best review yet of Pandora, and him giving FOP a review of Soarin 2.0 seems honest. I'm sure he really wanted to give this ride a better review but couldn't. That doesn't sound very promising for this attraction which is a shame.
They did go on and say quite a bit more though. She liked it a lot, and Laramie gave it 2.5 thumbs up. :)
Reviews start at 31.:00 minute mark

Dizney Crew

They did go on and say quite a bit more though. She liked it a lot, and Laramie gave it 2.5 thumbs up. :)
Reviews start at 31.:00 minute mark

They're not saying it's bad, and I'm sure everyone's opinion is going to be different on FOP, I'm sure it's going to be a DECENT ride, just doesn't sound like anything Unbelievable or Ground-breaking. Which for the time and $$$ involved, I think we all wanted more/expected more.

djkidkaz

They're not saying it's bad, and I'm sure everyone's opinion is going to be different on FOP, I'm sure it's going to be a DECENT ride, just doesn't sound like anything Unbelievable or Ground-breaking. Which for the time and $$$ involved, I think we all wanted more/expected more.

What is the last ride that was created anywhere that was considered ground breaking? People talk about how great shanghai pirates is but is it truly ground breaking and never been done before? Essentially it's a boat dark ride with better effects. Harry Potter? Maybe. When I hear about a Star Wars ride where you actually exit the ride vehicle and move through the attraction before boarding another ride vehicle, to me that is ground breaking. Nothing anywhere even comes close to that idea.

Dizney Crew

What is the last ride that was created anywhere that was considered ground breaking? People talk about how great shanghai pirates is but is it truly ground breaking and never been done before? Essentially it's a boat dark ride with better effects. Harry Potter? Maybe. When I hear about a Star Wars ride where you actually exit the ride vehicle and move through the attraction before boarding another ride vehicle, to me that is ground breaking. Nothing anywhere even comes close to that idea.

Shanghai Pirates looks incredible, you can't sit there and say its "just another boat ride". Mystic Manor looks to be pretty amazing also, effects in that ride are some we've never before seen either. When Soaring came out it was something new and totally different at the time. And when Spider Man opened at IOA at the time that had everyone talking ( I know that ride is almost 20 yrs old now, but that had the WOW factor).

Now had we honestly got a real AA Banshee to ride on, that would have changed the game, but everything that I'm seeing and hearing about FOP doesn't sound revolutionary or anything even close to that nature. It just sounds like a really nice ride, but nothing we haven't seen or felt before. I'm hoping the actual experience is a little more impressive, but so far nothing has moved the needle for me in terms of seeing something that will change the industry. And that is an issue I'm sure a lot of people will have with this ride, the build up and hype surrounding it most folks expected a whole lot more.

TalkingHead

What is the last ride that was created anywhere that was considered ground breaking? People talk about how great shanghai pirates is but is it truly ground breaking and never been done before?

Forbidden Journey, hands down. A new ride system that beggars belief. I'd say the Hogwarts Express qualifies for that, too. There's nothing else quite like it -- a themed transport that carries you between parks.

Even Gringotts is a technically impressive new ride; it's just one or two scenes too short (IMO) and needs some more physical props.

Before those? Spider-man, Indiana Jones Adventure, Tower of Terror.

All of those are groundbreaking rides. The problem in Orlando is most of the ambitious stuff has opened at Universal in the past 10-15 years. Disney's more recent ambitious stuff has opened overseas or in California.

Tierod2k

I just had to creat and account and post as I went on Flight of Passage yesterday and it was just awesome! Best ride I've been on and I've been on a lot of rides.

Don't worry about drops as you never feel like you are dropping in the sense of "Tower of Terror" or a roller coaster. The ride is so smooth and amazing.

I do not like rides like the Simpson's Ride as I get motion sickness. I had zero motion sickness on this ride. They could not have done this ride any better! It was awesome.

The queue line is excellent as well. Nice job Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom