Old Key West Construction Question

22YrsDVC

Original Poster
Does anyone have hard information on the current 2 year construction at Old Key West?
Seen passing references, but nothing specific.
Thanks for any help.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It is supposed to start in the summer this year, but originally scheduled for spring. DVC execs stated that room designs were being finalized, and slightly altered due to guest feedback from people staying in the model rooms. It includes a complete hard goods replacement, including completely new kitchen and bathroom fixtures, plus new flooring, furniture, etc. They'll be taking the buildings out one-by-one, so as to minimize disruption to guests.

nickys

Premium Member
It is supposed to start in the summer this year, but originally scheduled for spring. DVC execs stated that room designs were being finalized, and slightly altered due to guest feedback from people staying in the model rooms. It includes a complete hard goods replacement, including completely new kitchen and bathroom fixtures, plus new flooring, furniture, etc. They'll be taking the buildings out one-by-one, so as to minimize disruption to guests.

It would be great if they could put another door into the bathrooms or at least reconfigure it!

I don't relish the idea of one of my adult/late teen sons coming through after an evening at DIsney Springs if DH and I have "retired for an early night"! Apart from this reservation I'd love to stay here. (And I know some of the rooms have a better layout, but it would be my luck to get an older room).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It would be great if they could put another door into the bathrooms or at least reconfigure it!

I don't relish the idea of one of my adult/late teen sons coming through after an evening at DIsney Springs if DH and I have "retired for an early night"! Apart from this reservation I'd love to stay here. (And I know some of the rooms have a better layout, but it would be my luck to get an older room).
You would need a 1 bedroom for that. All of the studios have 2 queen beds, and there hasn't been any mention of that changing, but we'll have to wait and see.

nickys

Premium Member
You would need a 1 bedroom for that. All of the studios have 2 queen beds, and there hasn't been any mention of that changing, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yes, we always book a 1 bed villa. But this is stopping me trying out OKW for now. The only saving grace is that the older buildings with this layout are mostly, I think, in the "near hospitality house" category, so maybe it would be OK.

correcaminos

Yes, we always book a 1 bed villa. But this is stopping me trying out OKW for now. The only saving grace is that the older buildings with this layout are mostly, I think, in the "near hospitality house" category, so maybe it would be OK.
I wouldn't let this stop you. We had a 1 bedroom at BCV and guess which door was never used to the bathroom? Plus the bathrooms are all open towards the 1 bedrooms no matter where you stay. At OKW there is enough of an angle that it doesn't really get in the way much.

nickys

Premium Member
I wouldn't let this stop you. We had a 1 bedroom at BCV and guess which door was never used to the bathroom? Plus the bathrooms are all open towards the 1 bedrooms no matter where you stay. At OKW there is enough of an angle that it doesn't really get in the way much.

It's funny because we have stayed at BCV and I don't remember it being an issue. I think the reason it's made me hesitate is because the allears site point it out specifically for OKW.

We're also spoilt! Bay Lake is our home resort and we also recently stayed at Kidani. Both of them have 2 bathrooms, so no issue.

Good to know though, thanks! I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Edit: OMG, just realised who it was I replied to! You'd already all but persuaded me to try OKW over on MO lol!

Last edited:

correcaminos

It's funny because we have stayed at BCV and I don't remember it being an issue. I think the reason it's made me hesitate is because the allears site point it out specifically for OKW.

We're also spoilt! Bay Lake is our home resort and we also recently stayed at Kidani. Both of them have 2 bathrooms, so no issue.

Good to know though, thanks! I'll get over it, I'm sure.

Edit: OMG, just realised who it was I replied to! You'd already all but persuaded me to try OKW over on MO lol!
LOL - yay another OKW convert! Good to see you here too!

The 2 bathrooms is very spoiling. We mostly do 2 bedrooms now but we do the random 1 bedroom now and then. I just laughed how my son never used that bathroom door and the door is closer to the bed and angled differently than in OKW. Silly child. The size of OKW alone too will likely make up for that minor thing, though I agree that it would be nice if they could add the door in just to make others feel better.

22YrsDVC

Original Poster
Thanks very much. Hope they don't destroy the last vestiges of why I bought and still love Old Key West.

22YrsDVC

Original Poster
This is quick isn't it? I last stayed at OKW in 2011 and I thought that was the last hard goods rehab. I thought they were on a 10+ year cycle.
My thoughts exactly. Those horrible fake wood floors were only installed a few years ago, along with the dark furniture that has nothing to do with the light and bright ambiance of Old Key West. Heck, I still miss their pink towels at the pools. Oops, showing my age.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
My thoughts exactly. Those horrible fake wood floors were only installed a few years ago, along with the dark furniture that has nothing to do with the light and bright ambiance of Old Key West. Heck, I still miss their pink towels at the pools. Oops, showing my age.
Noooo the floors are the best! You prefer that foul teal carpet they used to have?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Second floor on the right hand side of the building normally works for me. But only if it's two stories. Otherwise I hate myself for being so fussy as I drag myself up two flights of stairs with too heavy luggage.
The bellmen will bring your bags up and down. If my records are correct, there are only about ten rooms with two stories, aren't there?

Separate question, because I don't think it needs its own thread. I've seen DVC people talk about how the buildings near the Hospitality House are in a separate booking category, but I didn't see that as an option booking as a cash guest. Does that mean I definitely can't get one of those buildings, or just that it's all one category for cash guests?

correcaminos

The bellmen will bring your bags up and down. If my records are correct, there are only about ten rooms with two stories, aren't there?

Separate question, because I don't think it needs its own thread. I've seen DVC people talk about how the buildings near the Hospitality House are in a separate booking category, but I didn't see that as an option booking as a cash guest. Does that mean I definitely can't get one of those buildings, or just that it's all one category for cash guests?
That's a good question. SSR has both room types available for booking. It could be that because they aren't more expensive that the cash guests just get luck of the draw. I personally like HH area but Peninsular stop. Nice and quiet but easy to get to the HH and the like, and the first one to be let off of the buses upon return.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's a good question. SSR has both room types available for booking. It could be that because they aren't more expensive that the cash guests just get luck of the draw. I personally like HH area but Peninsular stop. Nice and quiet but easy to get to the HH and the like, and the first one to be let off of the buses upon return.
Thanks. A lot is going to depend on whether we get a rental car or not. If we do, I think we're going to try to get on the canal in 45, 46, or 55. If we don't have a car, I think we'd try for something in the middle of Old Turtle Pond, 32-35. We don't actually want a Hospitality House building due to the bathroom door setup, I was just curious.

anchorman314

In my experience, the HH buildings are a request category, but not a booking category. That's been with points, though. So YMMV on a cash reservation.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

In my experience, the HH buildings are a request category, but not a booking category. That's been with points, though. So YMMV on a cash reservation.
The buildings near HH are a separate booking category for DVC members using points, and are booked quite quickly. Since there are only a few buildings in this category, while you may request it on a cash reservation, it is highly unlikely that you would ever be granted that request.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom