Why is a forum about Disney so darn popular

twag1

Original Poster
Been thinking about something for a while and can't come up with an answer, so thought what the heck, throw a thread out there. These folks will figure it out for me!

I'm not a big poster, but visit pretty close to every day to catch up on the latest. I used to have what I would call a "Forum Route" where I would check in on other boards on other topics that interest me.

It seems like there's a trend - due at least in part to the various social media options I would guess - that participation in standalone special interest forums seems to be declining dramatically. Some of my old haunts that have at least some traffic are dominated by a select handful of participants and that's it. Rarely any new blood.

But this one is a clear exception, at least in my circle of life, and I'm not sure why that is. It's not uncommon for threads to easily hit the hundred mark in postings and several thousands of views. And it's not just a handful of usual suspects going back and forth.

Even a thread talking about favorite bathrooms garners all sorts of attention.

I find it interesting that this forum thrives and for the most part stays on topic on just about every thread, while other similar vehicles in other disciplines are dying off. Just can't come up with a theory as to why. Or maybe it's just my perception.

Maybe you know?

JIMINYCR

These forums provide a vast range of topics that can easily be of value to everyone with a Disney connection, from the new guest to the experienced one. Because a lot of people who have gone to Disney and have loved the experience want to continue to remain connected to it. Memories are built and remain connected long term. Even though they may not have a trip planned in the near future, reading, posting and taking part in the various forum categories gives them an emotional connection where they can recall the joys and memories they had. Even those who have negatives to discuss can do it in a way that they voice displeasure but connect emotionally to their memories of the good times. Then you have those who seek up to date info because they are lost and don't know where to turn to help make their first trip a success. Thats my opinion.

twag1

Original Poster
Yup. I get that. But let me give you an example of what I was driving at.

Along with Disney, a big vacation hot spot for us is Las Vegas. I used to look at a forum board every day specific to Vegas. This is tied to the Las Vegas Advisor, which is owned by Anthony Curtis. If you ever caught any of the old Travel Channel shows about Vegas, he was always on there.

So not only is it a Vegas discussion board, there is this connection to a Vegas insider which had made it a hotspot. There used to be a lot of traffic on there. And now.............

April 1, Jennifer posts a message asking for favorite eating spots in Vegas. The next post isn't until April 19th. It's Jennifer again asking for someone to please respond to her. That night she got one, asking the necessary "what are you partial to" questions.

This morning she got a reply from someone complaining that no one answered the original question and how lame the site was now. It should be noted that aside from the rant, he didn't give her any options either!

So in three weeks, she received zero recommendations on where to eat in Vegas. Compare that to here. Folks seem to respond to questions even if the question has been asked by a newbie and has been answered a gazillion times.

Speaks volumes about the random collection of folks who frequent here for one thing.

Just wonder why this site stands so tall in participation against what I see as a general decline in forum participation.

Rutt

Are we talking just travel forums or forums in general? I find that among WDW forums im in this is easily the most active and organized. It also seems to be the one with the most accurate info. A WDW vacation also seems to be a whole lot more involved than any other vacation i can think of which probably leads to the active part.

But for other topics, i can honestly say my hockey boards are just as if not more active.

DfromATX

I've been here for a while. Sometimes I'll get off for a while and when I come back, there's a lot of new people and some of the old regulars have left. I have wondered why some of the old regulars aren't here anymore.

I also used to frequent a forum on the Carnival board called Funville. It was very similar to this one and very active. Same concept. Carnival fans talking about cruising. It had even more drama than on here if y'all can believe that. Sometimes it got very ugly! It lasted several years, but they finally got rid of it a few months ago. It was very active until the end.

twag1

Original Poster
besides finding info for future trips, it gives everyone a taste of Disney in between visits.

I think because these forums are organized well, clearly maintained and moderated, and most of all, are current. If I have not said it before, thanks Steve!!!!!

This and this.

Now that you say that, as simple a concept as this is, I never really thought about the "taste of Disney". When someone asks about a restaurant recommendation, it does rekindle the memory of the "event" of eating at a certain place as much as it does the food - if not more so.

I think I have my answer.

disneygeek90

Disney is a very personal thing for a lot of people. They have memories from years ago, and memories from yesterday. I think it's just one of those things that delivers a certain amount of pathos when thinking about, talking about, or experiencing. There's lots of destinations that people travel to around the world, talk highly of, and love, but I don't see the emotion quite like it is when people talk about Disney.

Bacon

Yup. I get that. But let me give you an example of what I was driving at.

Along with Disney, a big vacation hot spot for us is Las Vegas. I used to look at a forum board every day specific to Vegas. This is tied to the Las Vegas Advisor, which is owned by Anthony Curtis. If you ever caught any of the old Travel Channel shows about Vegas, he was always on there.

So not only is it a Vegas discussion board, there is this connection to a Vegas insider which had made it a hotspot. There used to be a lot of traffic on there. And now.............

April 1, Jennifer posts a message asking for favorite eating spots in Vegas. The next post isn't until April 19th. It's Jennifer again asking for someone to please respond to her. That night she got one, asking the necessary "what are you partial to" questions.

This morning she got a reply from someone complaining that no one answered the original question and how lame the site was now. It should be noted that aside from the rant, he didn't give her any options either!

So in three weeks, she received zero recommendations on where to eat in Vegas. Compare that to here. Folks seem to respond to questions even if the question has been asked by a newbie and has been answered a gazillion times.

Speaks volumes about the random collection of folks who frequent here for one thing.

Just wonder why this site stands so tall in participation against what I see as a general decline in forum participation.
Ok ok I know you like vegas geez

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom