Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Sped2424

How does it make sense to shut down a classic opening day show with hundreds of animatronics to replace it with a college student in a costume for a movie that will eventually die out?
Not that I agree with this idea at all. But Moanas not going anywhere, Disney princess and all that. Also if they wanted they could have an amazing eticket for Moana that could add to adventureland rather than replace.

aprincessatlasst

People exit shows all the time. For emergencies, for the bathroom ... It's a reach to say they leave because of the show. I saw numerous people exit Nemo the musical on my trip doesn't mean they hated it.

Now that show is a complete bore! lol ok so we all have different taste but at least with the Tiki birds its like 10 minutes, Nemo lasts forever!!!:bored:

spacemt354

Chili's
To be clear- I'm completely fine with people being upset over Tiki Room leaving. I'm also upset with some of the other decisions that management makes. I'm also upset when people chalk it up to management being clueless monsters without providing any sort of reasoning. I'm trying to provide reasoning for why Tiki Room is likely to be altered, and why some of those alterations might fit with managements view of running a good park. It doesn't make them clueless when you don't like the decisions they make. Provide reaosning for why you feel they're clueless.

This is the third or fourth time you've gotten in a tiff over my assertion that people are over-reacting and reaching when it comes to condemning management decisions. You seem to feel that my opinion shoudn't be directed toward other members at large (I've singled out a couple of members on a couple of topics, but largely I refrain from that sort of thing), yet I see no condemnation of people who blindly shout PIXIE DUSTER at anyone who isn't here to relentlessly complain. Are you saying that I'm not entitled to give my opinion and frankly, to back it up even when it means I'm (usually jokingly) poking fun at the crazed reactions of some of the hardcore members here? What's wrong with poking fun, especially when it's a sarcastic response that's actually evidence based? The only retort seems to be "but Walt wouldn't have done that" when in reality Tiki Room would have been bulldozed at all of the Disney parks back in the 70's or 80's if Walt were running things (if it were built at all at WDW and TDL- he probably wouldn't have even built them).

People stoop to mocking the managers, and assuming that their armchair management/imagineering is superior to the people with hospitality degrees, MBA's and decades of experience in the industry. People here mock fellow members all the time. Why am I at fault for mocking unfounded over-reactions about "clueless managers"? I'm not saying all theme park managers are great at their jobs, but I'm saying that they're all more qualified to be making those decisions than those on internet forums. Where's the problem?
I could give you a few reasons.

You cite MBAs and hospitality degrees as a positive and a qualification to make creative and artistic decisions. Those are not synonymous attributes. One deals with monetary decisions for a business and the other deals with thematic and storytelling decisions. A good mix of both is necessary, and the current management in my opinion lacks a certain perspective of the Walt Disney World parks that make them unique and special to millions of guests. I don't think anyone believes management is clueless for driving up prices, ticky-tacking guests wherever they can, and so on. But those economically driven, bottom-line based decisions are magnified for the worst when the product in the parks continues to be diminished.

If I or anyone else who is concerned with this news, had confidence that the Tiki Room would be replaced with something better than the original, stay thematically relevant to Adventureland, and provide an immersive, unique experience for guests --- nobody would be complaining. In fact, I think a lot of people would be excited. The sad truth is Disney management has given us too many examples as of late to not get excited when a classic attraction(s) goes away...because typically, a potential new classic won't be going in its place.

jt04

I could give you a few reasons.

You cite MBAs and hospitality degrees as a positive and a qualification to make creative and artistic decisions. Those are not synonymous attributes. One deals with monetary decisions for a business and the other deals with thematic and storytelling decisions. A good mix of both is necessary, and the current management in my opinion lacks a certain perspective of the Walt Disney World parks that make them unique and special to millions of guests. I don't think anyone believes management is clueless for driving up prices, ticky-tacking guests wherever they can, and so on. But those economically driven, bottom-line based decisions are magnified for the worst when the product in the parks continues to be diminished.

If I or anyone else who is concerned with this news, had confidence that the Tiki Room would be replaced with something better than the original, stay thematically relevant to Adventureland, and provide an immersive, unique experience for guests --- nobody would be complaining. In fact, I think a lot of people would be excited. The sad truth is Disney management has given us too many examples as of late to not get excited when a classic attraction(s) goes away...because typically, a potential new classic won't be going in its place.

Depends who you ask. Today's new adds will be the future classics in the eyes of those new to Disney. And watching today's cynical gen Xers turn into 'get of my lawn' curmudgeons is just too good to contemplate.

PrincessJulia1207

ummm shouldn't it be a nobrainer (IMO) to just close the "waste of so much space" attraction The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse? They might have the space for 2 or 3 attractions/shops/food places there but instead it's a bunch of connected treehouses with nothing special to see :hilarious:

jt04

ummm shouldn't it be a nobrainer (IMO) to just close the "waste of so much space" attraction The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse? They might have the space for 2 or 3 attractions/shops/food places there but instead it's a bunch of connected treehouses with nothing special to see :hilarious:

Bears/Tiki/SFRTH/Aladin out. Moana/Tiana/Indy/33 in. That is what I call progress.

PS- not saying this is happening but it is the kind of changes that would keep the park relevant and fresh.

Phil12

I love the theming in the retail shops. The attention to detail is fantastic. I just wish there was unique merchandise that I was tempted to buy, but that's the fail.
You won't see unique items in today's market because of smart phones. Before the age of computers, it was difficult to track and locate retail sales items. Buyers often had to purchase items (at high price levels) for fear that they would not be able to find that same item again. Those days are long gone. I can stand in a Disney store and look up the Universal Product Code (UPC), Stock Keeping Unit (SKU), International Article Number (EAN) and/or the Global Trade Item Number (GTIN) instantly on my smart phone. I can find the lowest price for said item and purchase it on my phone and have it shipped to my home. Before I arrive home from my vacation that item will have been delivered. Why would I buy anything other than clothes to suit the weather? Thanks Steve Jobs.

Nj4mwc

The treehouse is amazing. And is a perfect example of a attraction that is simple, immersive and cheap and it always gives me an excuse to watch the movie with my kids after a trip

Sped2424

Where did this M&G thought come from as the replacement? Is that pure speculation or is there something behind it?
Speculation based on the space it would be easy to make it into an enchanted times with belle theme with Moana leading an interactive show and then taking photos after. But this could be none of that.

Jones14

A Moana E ticket would draw guests away from Fantasyland and Tomorrowland (cough allowing for a certain coaster to go down cough), ease the strain on Jungle Cruise, add capacity, and provide a solid MK addition for the 50th if they started work next year.

Which makes this idea of Moana to the Tiki Room even more of a head scratcher.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom