Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

magicmom4

Shows still fill up but then that could be because the parks are so packed all the time now. I imagine "guest feedback" is why?

We were just there the first week of April and were very surprised to see a full theater. It may see some updates but I don't think it's going anywhere anytime soon.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I LOVE seeing vids of the barker bird....Wally Boag did an excellent job selling the attraction he helped create. It would be a wonderful touch outside, and thinking I was there twice in November and it was quite full, and I usually go off season but never have been there and not seen it full or almost full EVER. The preshow is wonderful spot to get out of the sun, cool down and relax.;)

Rodan75

Didn't Disney recently patent some concepts for 'retail' small scale animatronics...maybe they will close Tiki and allow you to build your own home edition?

I would totally buy a couple of animatronic tiki birds that could put on a little show.

In general, I suspect the same issue that has arisen for 3D movie attractions is also going to hit these animatronic only shows. The wow factor is gone and despite the 'memberberries some of us feel for the attraction, it is no longer theme park worthy.

Kman101

The world's most visited park has an older, expensive to run attraction that is lightly visited. They have similar offerings a few hundred feet away (HoP and CBJ) that consistently outdraw it. They've already attempted an ill-fated overlay of the show that flopped. They "brought back the original" and still can't manage to draw decent attendance. They're considering changes. THOSE MONSTERS. :rolleyes:

Heaven forbid some of us don't like the removal of it ... you and others need to understand this is a discussion board where we all have different likes and dislikes. Some don't agree with the decision and we're allowed to express that, just like those who like the idea are allowed to express that. Sheesh. Would you like to be mocked about what you think at every turn?

And maybe this board isn't for some of you. Opinions widely vary on here. If you want blind positivity at every turn, there's another board for that. And sometimes you (not you specifically) don't always have to go on and on about how negative and awful our opinions are. It gets old. Sometimes you can just breeze by and not have to say something at every turn ...

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
LOL now that "that man from the white house" will be inserted in HOP it likely will be a miss for me....but aa people even presidents, and moth eaten bears hold nothing to me vs a tropical escape to the islands.....Stitch I would remove in a heartbeat, and Speedway needs a major overhaul on the theming.....the new restaurant in Adventureland is a must do, we loved it. I suppose what makes the Magic Kingdom magical IS the nostalgia, as it was created to be intentionally at Disneyland long ago. Change is necessary, but plussing a wonderful attraction to create more interest is better than getting rid of something tried and true. Nope its not for everyone....but it remains a gem.;)

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
There also has to be a balance in the parks to span the generation gap, as well as entertain people who cannot or will not ride the coasters due to choice or physical issues.....there still is a large demographic who does not require overstimulation and the latest technology to be entertained. So while younger adults may seek more thrill and such.....children and older adults could be quite content with a sit down airconditioned show. This balance is what makes the park so special for families to enjoy together.....now I am craving a dole whip and wondering if my local place is open for the season yet....its never the same but close......:). I think I will listen to the Balafon Marimba ensemble music that plays in Adventureland....while I ponder the entrance bridge that used to be arched, but still works. ;)

aladdin2007

All this talk about making the Tiki Room a snack bar...does anyone remember when the snack bar outside the doors used to feature a giant orange tree along the back wall and canopied overhead with an animatronic Orange Bird, complete with a pepper's ghost effect thought bubble, and lights projecting through rotating screens to give the effect of filtered sunlight coming through the giant tree's green acrylic leaves? It was beautiful...and of course, stripped out and gone. I think the rotating light filters are still there (were last time I was there) but long disconnected. I would have a real concern that if it was transformed into an eatery we would see the theming slowly diminish until it was nothing more than a tropical footnote in a McDonald's style dining room.

this, and it wasn't that long ago either, except I think it was just a orange bird figure not a animatronic? Then they made the location switch which was another idiotic move and ruined the whole thing and gutted it all out. because you know, we cant have details anymore! Save money the tourists don't care because its good enough. Great mentality the company has now.

Why can't they keep the tiki room but somehow add Moana into it? At least it would still be there even though a new version,,,,to the insiders, is the stitch show version even an option still at all?? or have they totally moved on and just intent on gutting this for another mommy blogger meetngreet?

Monorail_Orange

There also has to be a balance in the parks to span the generation gap, as well as entertain people who cannot or will not ride the coasters due to choice or physical issues.....there still is a large demographic who does not require overstimulation and the latest technology to be entertained. So while younger adults may seek more thrill and such.....children and older adults could be quite content with a sit down airconditioned show. This balance is what makes the park so special for families to enjoy together.....now I am craving a dole whip and wondering if my local place is open for the season yet....its never the same but close......:). I think I will listen to the Balafon Marimba ensemble music that plays in Adventureland....while I ponder the entrance bridge that used to be arched, but still works. ;)
Not to mention that some folks enjoy BOTH the thrills and the quieter, slower paced shows. A key reason why one may still prefer a day at Disney over, say Six Flags, or to some degree Universal. Admittedly, it's been years since I last visited, but SeaWorld also used to do a good job with this concept too.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Heaven forbid some of us don't like the removal of it ... you and others need to understand this is a discussion board where we all have different likes and dislikes. Some don't agree with the decision and we're allowed to express that, just like those who like the idea are allowed to express that. Sheesh. Would you like to be mocked about what you think at every turn?

And maybe this board isn't for some of you. Opinions widely vary on here. If you want blind positivity at every turn, there's another board for that. And sometimes you (not you specifically) don't always have to go on and on about how negative and awful our opinions are. It gets old. Sometimes you can just breeze by and not have to say something at every turn ...

So, you're telling someone not to repeat themselves and junior modding... I thought you were against that.

Kman101

So, you're telling someone not to repeat themselves and junior modding... I thought you were against that.

LOL. I guess the forum police "got me" ... good for you?

I'm not telling anyone what to do. You're taking it that way. And obviously trying to troll me for a fight or something? Don't you have posts of negativity to count and posts to report to the moderators for going off-topic?

You know what a "suggestion" is, right?

And I'm not the only one thinking it ...

So, you got a reaction. Happy?

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Exactly Monorail Orange.....I am one who has always liked both, must include it's the awesome detailed theming Disney has always done so much better than the competitor theme parks....that keeps me coming back vs adventuring to the others....;).
My teen recently went to Universal for his first time and while he liked some of the rides, the whole park experience that Disney provided him all those years did not go unnoticed. He said he never needs to go back there....to Universal.:happy:

rushtest4echo

LOL. I guess the forum police "got me" ... good for you?

I'm not telling anyone what to do. You're taking it that way. And obviously trying to troll me for a fight or something? Don't you have posts of negativity to count and posts to report to the moderators for going off-topic?

You know what a "suggestion" is, right?

And I'm not the only one thinking it ...

So, you got a reaction. Happy?

To be clear- I'm completely fine with people being upset over Tiki Room leaving. I'm also upset with some of the other decisions that management makes. I'm also upset when people chalk it up to management being clueless monsters without providing any sort of reasoning. I'm trying to provide reasoning for why Tiki Room is likely to be altered, and why some of those alterations might fit with managements view of running a good park. It doesn't make them clueless when you don't like the decisions they make. Provide reaosning for why you feel they're clueless.

This is the third or fourth time you've gotten in a tiff over my assertion that people are over-reacting and reaching when it comes to condemning management decisions. You seem to feel that my opinion shoudn't be directed toward other members at large (I've singled out a couple of members on a couple of topics, but largely I refrain from that sort of thing), yet I see no condemnation of people who blindly shout PIXIE DUSTER at anyone who isn't here to relentlessly complain. Are you saying that I'm not entitled to give my opinion and frankly, to back it up even when it means I'm (usually jokingly) poking fun at the crazed reactions of some of the hardcore members here? What's wrong with poking fun, especially when it's a sarcastic response that's actually evidence based? The only retort seems to be "but Walt wouldn't have done that" when in reality Tiki Room would have been bulldozed at all of the Disney parks back in the 70's or 80's if Walt were running things (if it were built at all at WDW and TDL- he probably wouldn't have even built them).

People stoop to mocking the managers, and assuming that their armchair management/imagineering is superior to the people with hospitality degrees, MBA's and decades of experience in the industry. People here mock fellow members all the time. Why am I at fault for mocking unfounded over-reactions about "clueless managers"? I'm not saying all theme park managers are great at their jobs, but I'm saying that they're all more qualified to be making those decisions than those on internet forums. Where's the problem?

Tony the Tigger

I know a few folks on this thread are certainly not fans

I know it's a minority on this thread, but I can't think of many other threads about classic attractions with as high a percentage of people who either don't like it or don't have a strong opinion either way. I think that says something, especially on this board.

Kman101

And there are plenty who like it. I'd personally like to know what's replacing it before I "overreact" as some like to say. I don't like the idea of it's removal. I like the attraction. I don't necessarily have a strong nostalgic pull towards it. It's upsetting in a different way.

It'll be interesting when the day comes that they remove something others have in high regard. Will it be "trust them" and everything's just sunshine and roses and wonderful?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom