Not the Friendly company they portray

Nulyte

Original Poster
So this morning my husband was called into the office and told by his lead that ," since your wife is sick we feel it's best to let you go.You can reapply in 6 months hope she gets better"
They know I have cancer and he was turning in FMLA paperwork. How is this even legal?

Nemo14

So this morning my husband was called into the office and told by his lead that ," since your wife is sick we feel it's best to let you go.You can reapply in 6 months hope she gets better"
They know I have cancer and he was turning in FMLA paperwork. How is this even legal?
:eek:

rob0519

Wow, that's not good. First off, best of luck in your fight with cancer. Secondly, if I remember correctly, your husband wanted part time work, but was hired at full time with mandatory overtime which made your care more difficult. Did he ever get switched back to part time? How was his attendance and work performance? I don't know if this is legal, but it certainly isn't employee friendly. Then again, probably 9 out of 10 corporations don't give a mouse's rear end about their employees. Good luck in him getting his job back or finding a better one.

Nulyte

Original Poster
Wow, that's not good. First off, best of luck in your fight with cancer. Secondly, if I remember correctly, your husband wanted part time work, but was hired at full time with mandatory overtime which made your care more difficult. Did he ever get switched back to part time? How was his attendance and work performance? I don't know if this is legal, but it certainly isn't employee friendly. Then again, probably 9 out of 10 corporations don't give a mouse's rear end about their employees. Good luck in him getting his job back or finding a better one.
He had finally gotten thru to Hr and they told him speak to his lead and file FMLA paperwork. He also applied for a Pt photopass opportunity and it waived the 6 month requirement. He spoke to the salaried lead and they had a meeting. The salaried lead told him to see the night hourly lead , they had a good plan. He filed the FMLA and went to the hourly lead who didn't have a clue what was going on. The next night he told him " go to Casting they will switch you to part time"... at 7 am the next morning he called him back in and said we have a new plan, " with your wife's illness we feel we should term you and you can reapply in 6 months". My husband said wait I have an interview Friday for PT photo pass and this guy says well I wish I knew I wouldn't have termed you.... you are a great employee.. He has had no reprimands , points etc... He is calling Labor relations tommorrow since the FMLA paperwork was filed it looks as if this is in retaliation with what was said at 11pm and how it changed by 7am.....
I'm amazed by the lack of knowledge among the leads , with the procedures. I do know we have been informed that they do have the FMLA paperwork and this could be a possible violation.
We seriously loved Disney and always have but seeing this side of it turns my stomach. I can't believe that corporate knows that this goes on in their breakrooms. My husband asked the hourly lead who he spoke with to make this decision and he waved it off and said people. I'm a fighter and I'm determined it will work out. If it takes some cages rattled I'm ready to tell him to take it on......In a department that had 8 hires in a week and by week 2 only 1 is left , maybe they need a reboot of management......

rob0519

He had finally gotten thru to Hr and they told him speak to his lead and file FMLA paperwork. He also applied for a Pt photopass opportunity and it waived the 6 month requirement. He spoke to the salaried lead and they had a meeting. The salaried lead told him to see the night hourly lead , they had a good plan. He filed the FMLA and went to the hourly lead who didn't have a clue what was going on. The next night he told him " go to Casting they will switch you to part time"... at 7 am the next morning he called him back in and said we have a new plan, " with your wife's illness we feel we should term you and you can reapply in 6 months". My husband said wait I have an interview Friday for PT photo pass and this guy says well I wish I knew I wouldn't have termed you.... you are a great employee.. He has had no reprimands , points etc... He is calling Labor relations tommorrow since the FMLA paperwork was filed it looks as if this is in retaliation with what was said at 11pm and how it changed by 7am.....
I'm amazed by the lack of knowledge among the leads , with the procedures. I do know we have been informed that they do have the FMLA paperwork and this could be a possible violation.
We seriously loved Disney and always have but seeing this side of it turns my stomach. I can't believe that corporate knows that this goes on in their breakrooms. My husband asked the hourly lead who he spoke with to make this decision and he waved it off and said people. I'm a fighter and I'm determined it will work out. If it takes some cages rattled I'm ready to tell him to take it on......In a department that had 8 hires in a week and by week 2 only 1 is left , maybe they need a reboot of management......

I'm sorry you're going through all this. Unfortunately, a lot of companies are using multiple hourly supervisors who have no real interest in their employees as long as they cover their own backside. It honestly cannot be that hard to verify an upcoming interview and then "un-term" someone with probably a minimal of effort. My daughter started in a sales job with 16 other people. She is one of two people left in from that group and was told her numbers need to be better this month because she missed her sales number by $4.87 for add-on products or she's going to be on probation for two months or let go. You can't teach common sense or fix stupidity.

Dasnowz

had the fmla papers been approved will be a big thing. IF they were simply filed or he had them but not turned in then he does not fall under fmla rules. There are so many things in play here that I am sorry to say he will most likely have to wait the 6 months and reapply. They may make him wait until you are healthier to reapply as well. Its the companies best interest at stake. If he was within his 90 days then that will play in as well. Was he union? has he talked to a shop steward? HR is not hard to get hold of. They are open regularly and have extended hours. Mistakes happen. However, Someone in HR is aware of the situation and advising the leaders.

Nulyte

Original Poster
had the fmla papers been approved will be a big thing. IF they were simply filed or he had them but not turned in then he does not fall under fmla rules. There are so many things in play here that I am sorry to say he will most likely have to wait the 6 months and reapply. They may make him wait until you are healthier to reapply as well. Its the companies best interest at stake. If he was within his 90 days then that will play in as well. Was he union? has he talked to a shop steward? HR is not hard to get hold of. They are open regularly and have extended hours. Mistakes happen. However, Someone in HR is aware of the situation and advising the leaders.
Yes paperwork had been turned in. Global Hr passed it off to Labor Relations . Labor relations said Employee relations. I contacted the EEOC they can not use my disability to fire him. I also had him send emails to corporate HR and we received a response they will open an inquiry. He never missed any days due to my illness and had no performance/work issues.
You are right Hr isn't hard to get ahold of but finding someone who knows anything is a different matter. Telling someone they are being terminated due to their spouses illness is illegal, that only took one phone call to discover.
Thanks!

mousefan1972

First, I am very sorry to hear of your health issues and hope that you are well soon.

Unfortunately, your husband is not eligible for FMLA. As I recall, he was recently hired by WDW, correct? This is one of the conditions that must be met prior to an employee being eligible for FMLA:

The employee must work for the employer for a minimum of 12 months, and at least 1,250 hours during those 12 months, before taking leave under FMLA.

And if he is still on his 90 day probationary period, there is very likely language present which states they can let him go for any/no reason if they choose to. At this point, I don't think HR opening an "inquiry" will help his cause. Good luck with whatever you/he decide to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom